When's the right time to switch jobs?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
I've been working at my current company for 2.5-3 years, and I'm considering switching to a similar job at a competing company.

Reasons I'm considering switching...
1. My company has had a couple of layoffs, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was another one sometime this year. Even though my engineering area wasn't affected by the first two layoffs, that doesn't mean we will be safe next time.
2. Aiming for maybe a 20% pay increase. Money isn't everything, but I work so my wife can stay home with our son. Every bit helps.

I enjoy my current job (coworkers, work, and hours), but I think the new job would be more or less the same in those areas. I guess I'd be leaving beind the reputation I've established at my current company, and I'd be the "new guy" again.

When/why have you switched jobs in the past?

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Switch. IMO, you will make more $ and if you are thinking about leaving, there is a reason, you should.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
do it while your young. im in between jobs right now. ive got no family holding me back, so theres no better time to switch than now. because once you have a family, the longer you wait, the harder switching gets

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
i've been at my job for 7 months and i AM switching (in an airport in kentucky right now waiting for my connection flight to SC for an interview). Way I see it, companies don't show loyalty to their employees these days, so I will return the favor (unless they change the trend)

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
When you become bored and "too" comfortable.
When your boss is horrible.
Bad working conditions (location, co-workers etc)
The money is not enough.

I would say if you fit at least 2 of those then bounce.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I always tell my guys, when you stop learning, it is time to find something new. I have been with my company for 10 years now, and I still learn new things every day. But I am busy trying to climb the corporate ladder right now. I am a unix geek trying to get into senior management, so I have a LOT to learn.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
It doesn't hurt to test the waters. I have turned down numerous job offers in my lifetime. Things to consider: is the new job at a higher salary? Is there upward mobility at your current job? Is there a difference in driving distance? How long is the typical work week there? Job changes aren't necessarily a good thing for your resume and the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence. A prospective employer might tell you what you want to hear until you sign on the dotted line; and never trust a recruiter, they just are in it for their 20% cut. Why is there an opening at company X? Did someone quit? Get promoted? Fired? Or is there a new program or possible expansion? Make sure there is a definite need for you there and that there isn't a turnover issue. Do you know anyone who works there? When it comes to layoffs, it sometimes is LIFO, so starting over somewhere else may not be a big difference. But, on the other hand, you can find/negotiate a job offer much easier while you are working than if you aren't...

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
When your boss calls you into his office on a Thursday afternoon and says "SeattleClone, I mean Jeremy, we're dissolving your group effective April 1st, here are your options."

Not going to bore you all with the details, I kind of saw it coming although not this soon. It's not a negative reflection on me or my guys at all, just some regional restructuring BINGO!

I actually have several options of where I can go next in the company, and this could end up working out quite well for me. Just thought it was funny that it happened this afternoon and suddenly here's this thread.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
While you shouldn't do anything irrational, you only live this life once. Family and stability are very important to me, but you can't let fear rule your life and you DON'T want to look back and say "I should have taken a chance." (Luckily I learned that lesson in 8th grade basketball.) Ha, I haven't even recieved my first full time offer, I'm still finishing up my degree! So take this with a grain of salt, but I haven't looked back so far.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I've been with the same company for just short of 14 years, and I've seen many, many people come and go. Most of those who have left for greener pastures are no longer there. Of those who have job hopped to try to climb the ladder, none have obtained a higher position than what they could have potentially done, had they stayed. Of course, I do work for a good company, but let's face it, if it was all fun and games, they wouldn't have to pay us to do it.

I also see people leave because they need a fresh start. I don't get that part. You can create a fresh start at any time. Why wait until you get to that next job to push yourself to the next level of commitment or follow through?

jamesfnb

Apr 9, 2006
You are always worth more to the company that doesn't have you.

Look around at your current work place. Do you have any co-workers that were hired recently who came in at the same level as you or maybe even 1 level below you? I guaranty they are making MORE money than you.

Co-workers and the feeling that you have an impact at the company you work have a lot to do with if you are happy or not. So if you think the co-workers are about the same and your work will have equal or more impact to the bottom line in your new job, I say go for it.

Usually people leave bosses, not the job......just what I've heard...

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Look around at your current work place. Do you have any co-workers that were hired recently who came in at the same level as you or maybe even 1 level below you? I guaranty they are making MORE money than you....

Yup, hit the nail on the head there; this torques me off a bit.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I've been with the same company for just short of 14 years, and I've seen many, many people come and go. Most of those who have left for greener pastures are no longer there. Of those who have job hopped to try to climb the ladder, none have obtained a higher position than what they could have potentially done, had they stayed. Of course, I do work for a good company, but let's face it, if it was all fun and games, they wouldn't have to pay us to do it.

I also see people leave because they need a fresh start. I don't get that part. You can create a fresh start at any time. Why wait until you get to that next job to push yourself to the next level of commitment or follow through?

I agree....I am also at my job just over 14yrs. Only one I've held since graduating ISU. I'm of the opinion that the best way to build wealth and a good retirement is to stay with the same company so long as they treat you fairly. I have several friends who are on their 4th and 5th jobs. I just don't understand all the moving around. If you aren't happy and know your current job is not a good fit for you then I certainly understand, but to move every 2 or 3 years "just because" is pretty silly in my eyes.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
I have switched jobs several times(in 18 years).

Once to move back to Iowa.
Once to try something totally different
Once to go back to the company that I left to try something totally different

Never were the decisions based on money, although that doesn't mean I didn't get a pay increase. Money is a short term satisfaction unless you don't have enough to live off. Within a few months, you will have spent the extra money you get and still not have enough.

One co-worker told me that the reason he took the job was because when he asked "what is the best thing about working here", all the interviewers responded "the people". I kidded him that it really meant the job sucked because none of the interviewers could respond one aspect of what they did in regards to their job was the best thing.

Work to live don't live to work.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
I always tell my guys, when you stop learning, it is time to find something new. I have been with my company for 10 years now, and I still learn new things every day. But I am busy trying to climb the corporate ladder right now. I am a unix geek trying to get into senior management, so I have a LOT to learn.

This is what I did at the beginning of the year. 3.5 years at my job, and I felt like i had stalled. Plus, got to get in on the bottom floor, same type of job, more money, and no moving. But i think every person has their own "time" to switch jobs - best of luck.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Everyone pretty much said the stuff I was going to say so I won't repeat that. The one thing I would stress is to make sure money isn't the primary reason to switch. If you enjoy what you are doing for a job, you will never have to work a day in your life, but if you switch to a different job because of more money but you find you don't enjoy the job, more money isn't going to make you happier while at your new job.

I am not saying that is your situation, but I know I switched jobs about 3 yrs ago and actually made less for a while and it made things tight because my wife is home with our 3 daughters, but it's now a lot funner going to work and I'm happier going home after work.

Good luck in your decision. Follow your heart and don't feel bad about moving on if that becomes your choice.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I'm surprised that as an engineer, I'm assuming since you are in an engineering group, that you didn't have to sign a NDA. You may want to make sure that you can actually switch to a competing company legally before you attempt to. I can remember an internship that I had a while ago where I had to sign a NDA which prevented me from working for a competing company for 5 years. They even sat me down the day I was done to make sure that I didn't forget.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
You might want to discuss with an attorney whether your NDA is legal, or not. "No contract is a suicide pact" is a phrase my best friend, who happens to be a/my lawyer says.

On the job front, I have a unique viewpoint. In the 22 years I've been in the job market, I haven't had a "single" career, but rather I've sought out "interesting" jobs out of basic curiousity, if nothing else. What I've gained is a wide and varied background, lots of really cool stories, etc.

The down side is that I have had to be prepared to be "poor" at any time. I've had years I made 6 figure incomes, and the next year pulled in under $30,000. I've also had to put up with some pretty incompetent/abusive bosses. But because I always saw work as "temporary" I could tolerate about any level of stupidity.

Having said that, if you plan on staying in Central Iowa, I would suggest longevity as the superior strategy, unless you have plans to leave the area. The Central Iowa job market is incredibly "in-bred" compared to just about anyplace else, so if you have a nice gig here, paying good money, you might want to look into taking on a challenging hobby to feed your desire to do something different.

That and pay off your debts, and invest as much as you can, so you can retire early and then do whatever you want with your time.