Play Set/Swing Set

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
My wife and I are trying to track down a used play set/swing set for the miniature people that live with us. We've been looking at Craigslist and we've come across some decent options but nothing that really won us over. The good Rainbow sets are so expensive brand new that we're trying to avoid that route or even a "not quite Rainbow set".

Anyone have any leads? Tips and pointers?

(Yes, she made me do this. :smile:)

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So you're just going to sit there and pretend that Janny doesn't throw his hands up in the air like the girl in the picture when he goes down the slide?

It's so cute when he yells "wheeeee!"

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I got my big wood one for free years ago. There a lots of parents who have kids that are grown-up and just want them out of their yard. Best part was it was already assembled, I just needed to unbolt the swing portion for transport.
Start looking around, I bet you can find one free. Even if you need to replace a couple of boards.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I got my big wood one for free years ago. There a lots of parents who have kids that are grown-up and just want them out of their yard. Best part was it was already assembled, I just needed to unbolt the swing portion for transport.
Start looking around, I bet you can find one free. Even if you need to replace a couple of boards.

Phrasing...

seriously though. That's good advice. Any way to avoid putting it together is a win.

Last edited:

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa

Same here. We picked ours up for free from a friend a few years ago, just had to take off the swing set part, and I had to buy a new slide for it at Menards.

I'm ready to be the giver now if I can talk my wife into it. My kids rarely use it anymore, and I'd like to put in a hoop instead.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Throw an add on craigslist...as another poster stated, lots of them in people's backyards....many free or cheap if you tear down. That was what I was going to do (and almost did)...but then I decided to save lawn space and build a treehouse platform and found a cheap slide on craigslist to attach to it.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Not a bad decision. Definitely a staple of my childhood. I'd agree with everyone else here that you can usually find a used one for cheap/free. Once my younger siblings all outgrew the play-set, my parent's just gave it away to a friend. It's honestly a little shocking how well those things hold together over the years.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
We have something close to this in our backyard left from the previous owner. I probably needs some sanding, but in overall decent shape.

Has a wooden A-frame roof and only 2 swings. Doesn't have the riding swing.

images

We were going to put it on craigslist this summer since we don't plan on having kids for at least a few years.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
My wife and I are trying to track down a used play set/swing set for the miniature people that live with us. We've been looking at Craigslist and we've come across some decent options but nothing that really won us over. The good Rainbow sets are so expensive brand new that we're trying to avoid that route or even a "not quite Rainbow set".

Anyone have any leads? Tips and pointers?

(Yes, she made me do this. :smile:)

I can make you a heck of a deal on the Rainbow playlet in my backyard. I'm in Urbandale.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
The used route is tough, not many people want to lay down the cash for the new ones. Not much advice other than to check Craigslist religously or ask absolutely everyone you know if they have one they want to get rid of or know someone.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I am looking for something as well, but don't really want a gigantic wood one. I want to keep it as small as possible. I wouldn't care if it is a plastic playschool one that I can put on my deck.