Manhattan's Masiello Possibly Without ANY Job

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Oh man, what a turn of events. From being a fairly hot coaching candidate accepting the USF job to now having that offer rescinded based on the fact he NEVER graduated from Kentucky as he put on his job applications.

The guy looks like a New Jersey mobster and apparently he learned ethics and basketball from his mentor.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
amazes me that a man would lie for a very high-profile position.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
amazes me that a man would lie for a very high-profile position.

After this guy, no coach should embellish their resume:

628x471.jpg

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I think resume cheating is almost expected in some circles out east. (not by those hiring). With the "me" mentality the east coast breeds, this doesn't surprise me at all. These guys think it's normal, and that no one checks anything. The payoff can be huge, so they "risk" it.

Personally, I could never imagine lying on my resume.

Not sad at all for this dufus. These guys need a wake-up call and this guy losing both jobs would be a great reminder in the future.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
masiello-e1372375653763.jpeg

Pretty please hire me, I didn't do anything that most Kentucky basketball players of the past 20 years haven't done (graduate).

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The guy I'm thinking of was a black guy who ended up at university of Washington.

Uh, no...Willingham (black guy) got the ND job bc O'leary lied on his resume. He ended up at Washington bc he was fired at ND. O'leary is at UCF now.

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
Playing devil's advocate here, I wonder if he actually thought he had graduated. According to Pitino and the University of Kentucky, he was enrolled from 1996-2000. Maybe things were miscommunicated to him during the 2000 academic year and he incorrectly thought he had all of his credits.

I don't know.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I can't believe this wasn't noticed earlier. My background checks almost always include verification that I have my fancy degree from THE Iowa State University of Science and Technology.

I hope this clown at least has clean credit and no felony convictions

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think I mixed the story of Tom Williams(a Yale coach who resume padded), Oleary, and willingham

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Manhattan needs to hire Masiello back ASAP. He is a good coach and eventually will get that big name job.

Can they hire him back if he doesn't have a degree? I would assume that is against their hiring policy too.

Dude needs to be on the phone with the registrar at UK and figure out what he needs to do ASAP.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
It's ridiculous that he would need a degree to get the job. It's dumb on his part that he padded his resume, because the piece of paper wasn't what got him consideration for this job in the first place. But if the degree is a requirement, its a completely arbitrary one. Obviously he can do the job, look at his record so far.

I think USF is making a mistake by rescinding the offer of employment.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's ridiculous that he would need a degree to get the job. It's dumb on his part that he padded his resume, because the piece of paper wasn't what got him consideration for this job in the first place. But if the degree is a requirement, its a completely arbitrary one. Obviously he can do the job, look at his record so far.

I'm thinking it's more the lying than the actual degree.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Couldn't we make that argument of just about any job? The degree is just a piece of paper that doesn't demonstrate someone can or cannot do a job.

I can't believe there is surprise that a college requires a college degree to be the head coach of one of its sports teams.

Didn't Rutgers have this situation with their new coach? I think they gave him the opportunity to fix the issue, however. Maybe he didn't lie about it. Can't remember for sure.