Who Makes NCAA travel Arrangements?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There was a story on channel 13 last night. ISU's AD office makes the arrangements

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Each school has some say in how timing works, but its all booked and scheduled through Short's Travel in Waterloo. Huge, huge contract for them...

ISU3PtLand

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, Iowa
A lot of the air travel is dependent upon charter planes and their availability. Because of the sizes of the traveling parties - the team, coaching staff, pep band and cheerleaders, charter flights are scheduled for the teams. I'm guessing in the case of the SDSU/NMSU game, a plane was going to be needed elsewhere, so the losing team had to leave that night.

When the ISU women's team played in Fresno for sub-regional games, we lost in the first round and the team had to pack up and be on the plane that night to head home.

The NCAA is responsible for getting upwards of over 100 teams (both men and women) to various sites around the country. That's a massive amount of planes and bus transportation needed.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
NCAA travel is something else.

When the Coe baseball team made an NCAA Regional a couple of years ago, we got shipped to the West Regional instead of the Central, meaning we had to fly to Oregon. We were given a private charter that had like 30 seats on it. Between coaches and players, we were allowed 28 in the travel party. If we wanted to use the two extra seats (For myself and the AD) we had to pay $1,400 PER PERSON, per way. Needless to say, I had to drive to Omaha to fly out on Southwest as we weren't going to pay $2,800 for a flight.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
ia8manfan- I see you are in North Carolina. How are the natives taking the loss?

I work with a bunch of NC State grads (engineering company) so needless to say, they are thrilled. It's fun listening to sports radio and hearing over and over how ISU beat two Triangle teams. But I definitely plan on wearing more ISU gear as I walk around Chapel Hill over the next year....