Shaka Smart to Marquette?

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I have seen a lot of rumors floating around the web that Smart will be the next coach at Marquette. Interesting move if true

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Not sure Marquette at the moment is that much more attractive than Vcu.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
Marquette is looking also looking for a new president & new athletic director. Why make the move if you don't know who your bosses are going to be?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am pretty sure that Shaka grew up in Wisconsin, so that might be why Marquette would hold some appeal. He's turned down lots of jobs in the last few years though, notably Minnesota (with his old VCU AD) and Illinois.

I'd hate to see him end up at Marquette, even though I doubt we'll recruit Wisconsin as hard without TJ.

As an aside, if the nightmare scenario were to ever happen, I would want Shaka to be Jamie's first call. Of course, I would probably die of a broken heart, so who the hell cares?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I hope he bails on VCU. It's tough to sustain success at a small school like that long term. See Ben Jacobson at UNI. I wish he would have cashed in after their sweet 16.

TheFistOfLove

Feb 7, 2014
He also passed on the UCLA job! Going to Marquette now would be insane if you ask me. Sort of like that time I thought it would be a good idea to wrestle those two emus at once. I had no idea they would be able to coordinate their attacks like that. Luckily I knew that the emu's biggest weakness was it's genitals. Fist of Love 2...Emus 0.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's a move that would make zero sense for him. If he's turned down UCLA, Illinois and Minnesota the last few years then no way is he jumping to a program like Marquette. There's a reason Buzz bailed on them for a middling program.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I know it's a kind of publicity for him and his program, but it must get old having to do this every year based on jobs you're not even interested in.

It keeps his name in the news and gives him leverage over his AD. Also known as the Ferentz Method.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron