Fran Fraschilla

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
Given the amount of compliments he has for ISU Basketball and the effort and time he appears to spend learning about and hanging around the program (see the personal visit to the basketball facilities today to congratulate the Mayor), does anyone else get the feeling that if Doc Sadler ever left the coaching staff, then Fran would be a serious candidate to fill the void?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Given the amount of compliments he has for ISU Basketball and the effort and time he appears to spend learning about and hanging around the program (see the personal visit to the basketball facilities today to congratulate the Mayor), does anyone else get the feeling that if Doc Sadler ever left the coaching staff, then Fran would be a serious candidate to fill the void?

I don't want Doc to leave, but Fran would be a great assistant

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Hasn't he been out of coaching for awhile? I'm sure he has had offers. If he hasn't left for one yet, he probably won't.

Though I do know he always tweets about Hickory Park.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hasn't he been out of coaching for awhile? I'm sure he has had offers. If he hasn't left for one yet, he probably won't.

Though I do know he always tweets about Hickory Park.

I agree. I would think he could scoop up a head coaching gig at a mid major any time he wanted, or be a candidate for a downtrodden high major. Might just not want to coach again

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
He's living the life. Gets paid to watch college basketball and scout all over the place. I can't imagine he would give up a less stressful tv gig to go back to coaching.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Although he would be a fantastic assistant for Hoiberg I really doubt he would ever return to coaching. He has a pretty cush job at ESPN doing what he loves with no stress. I can't even imagine the amount of stress college coaches have to go through.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

He did the women's game on Saturday in Ames, didn't he?

Probably sticking around to get that Hickory Park fat layer built up for the upcoming long summer basketball hibernation.

I don't know much about Fran's pros and cons as a coach. But I love listening to him do color commentary and he's one of the better PR guys in the media for ISU. You're right - loves everything ISU it seems

How did he not get a men's tournament gig? Is it an ESPN thing? After listening to a couple of Rafferty's games over the weekend....
smiley_gun.png

Last edited:

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I talked to him at Wallabys for a while. Really nice guy.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Although he would be a fantastic assistant for Hoiberg I really doubt he would ever return to coaching. He has a pretty cush job at ESPN doing what he loves with no stress. I can't even imagine the amount of stress college coaches have to go through.

100% agree. He has it made, why go back to the grind of college coaching?

HiltonSouth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 29, 2010
Kansas City
I just had this exact conversation the other day.

Would love to have Fraschilla in Ames if Doc ever leaves and I know he loves Hoiberg.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Of course. He's an ESPN employee and they are not broadcasting the tourney.

I don't watch much of anything other than ISU, and hence ESPN/ABC. But are all these guys doing the tourney games (I guess it's only a dozen sites or so) regular talent of CBS/TBS/TNT? Not freelance or anything of the sort.

Not a big deal - I suppose the only ESPN guy I'd really like to see do a game is Fran

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

After seeing Fran tweeting how he was in Ames yesterday and a pic with Hoiberg sporting Gilbert HS gear, this was my thought as well. He seems to love the program and I was thinking that he's probably trying to suck up to CFH to get a position on the staff if one ever opened up

EDIT: I see he was doing the women's game in Ames - it all makes sense now

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
As Fran has said in the past, he's undefeated since he put down the coaching clipboard. I think there's no chance he returns to coaching, as it's apparent he loves his current job and is damn good at it.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
Didn't Hubert Davis do just that?

Not really the same situation at all. Fran has been out of coaching for over a decade while Hubert Davis is just getting started. After 12 years I think Fran has made his choice on which he'd rather do.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
He seems to love him some hickory park. But then again, who doesn't?

Apr 19, 2006
He also does a lot of training videos for all ages. My sons 4th grade basketball team was asked to participate in one of his videos. Really nice guy!

Help Support Us

Become a patron