WHY WAS THE TIME CLOCK STARTED LATE FOR OLD ROY WITH 1.6 SECS LEFT IN THE GAME?

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
At this level there should be no mistakes with the time clock as described by post game announcers. Delibersate attempt to get Old Roy a last chance? Makes you wonder. Please don't let that time keeper do our next game. Looked suspicious at best, should be no reason to start the clock late as shown on replay afterwards.

Asked this earlier also: How many games does that make that OLD ROY has lost to ISU away from his home court?

TheAntiHawk

Mar 29, 2013
I agree. The clock work has been HORRIBLE this entire tournament. I feel like half the replays could be avoided if the clock operator could do their job right. It's every game.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
There's been clock mistakes in a lot of games in the tournament, and there's lots of mistakes in the regular season, it's just part of the game. Just be thankful that they can look at the monitors now and attempt to remedy errors like that now.

TheAntiHawk

Mar 29, 2013
My point is the refs had to basically use a stopwatch to determine the game was over today. The clock should have started on the inbound and it's disappointing that the clock operator can't do their job at that point in the game when it's crucial.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Clock issues have plagued this site. Nebraska-Baylor had Tim Miles ejected after he was trying to get a refs attention about shot clock. When I listened to Creighton game they talked about clock issues too.

Spam

May 21, 2008
At this level there should be no mistakes with the time clock as described by post game announcers. Delibersate attempt to get Old Roy a last chance? Makes you wonder. Please don't let that time keeper do our next game. Looked suspicious at best, should be no reason to start the clock late as shown on replay afterwards.

Asked this earlier also: How many games does that make that OLD ROY has lost to ISU away from his home court?

Not easy operating the clock. As long as they use replay or whatever to correct mistakes, I don't see the problem

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
to be fair, the clock guy was only 0.4 seconds late on a play that usually is stopped with a TO before inbounding or with a half court lob

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Majorcyfan, you are hereby demoted to 2nd.LieutenantCyFan, effective immediately. We are reassigning you to a weather station above the Arctic Circle.

6289117_std.jpg

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I could be totally wrong, but I believe the NCAA doesn't use the clock technology in the tournament that I think most of the conferences do, where when the ref blows the whistle it stops the clock and the refs can also start the clock themselves I believe.

TheAntiHawk

Mar 29, 2013
Not easy operating the clock. As long as they use replay or whatever to correct mistakes, I don't see the problem

They made a good point after the game though saying that as the player is dribbling up, he thinks there was 1.6 seconds left and that he had the time to call a timeout, when in fact he had no time left because the operator did not start the clock on the inbound. Just because we have replay does not mean that it's not still critical for the clock operators to perform their job correctly. That non-start was atrocious, replay or no replay. Can you imaging if this was 1995? UNC would be inbounding the ball in front of their bench and who knows what the hell would have happened.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
This is one case where it worked out in our favor and screwed UNC. The player was judging when to call a TO by what was on the clock...he had no way to know it was really expired. Mark this in the good karma column for us.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
They made a good point after the game though saying that as the player is dribbling up, he thinks there was 1.6 seconds left and that he had the time to call a timeout, when in fact he had no time left because the operator did not start the clock on the inbound. Just because we have replay does not mean that it's not still critical for the clock operators to perform their job correctly. That non-start was atrocious, replay or no replay. Can you imaging if this was 1995? UNC would be inbounding the ball in front of their bench and who knows what the hell would have happened.
Even with the clock starting late they didn't award the timeout until time had run out. So if he was looking at the clock thinking he had time to get to half court he still failed.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I think the clock operator expected UNC to call timeout right away after the basket. Regardless, UNC screwed up even dribbling the ball before calling a TO

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron