staying in school

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
for nfl you have to wait till after ur sophomore season to go to the nfl, why not for the nba. It will make better players, better teams, more enjoyable to watch. It would also make a better nba

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I am against making college players stay past their freshman seasons. Players should be able to do what they want and I will only make the bluebloods like KU, UK, Duke, UNC tougher to compete with.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Should be able to just go straight out of high school if they're good enough and a team will take them.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
As a fan, I think they should have to stay 2 years. It might increase the parity across the country.

But yet, if they are good enough to go straight out of high school, then they should be allowed to.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I am against making college players stay past their freshman seasons. Players should be able to do what they want and I will only make the bluebloods like KU, UK, Duke, UNC tougher to compete with.
It would hurt the blue bloods. It would effectively cut in half the number of McDonald's All American Calipari can take. Instead of getting 6 new ones every year he'd have to cut back because they couldn't leave early. McDonald's All Americans don't come to Kentucky to be role players on the bench.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Imo, if you're a cyclone fan, you should be against keeping star players in college basketball. Unless you want to see kansas get even better

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It would hurt the blue bloods. It would effectively cut in half the number of McDonald's All American Calipari can take. Instead of getting 6 new ones every year he'd have to cut back because they couldn't leave early. McDonald's All Americans don't come to Kentucky to be role players on the bench.
Teams like Kansas and Duke usually get 2-3 a year. Make them stay 2 years and everyone starting will be McDonald's All Americans. I still think it makes it harder for teams like Iowa State.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Charles Barkley had some great comments on this. He thinks they should stay at least 2 years in college and he also thinks most kids aren't ready to play against the grown men in the NBA. I like Sir Charles a lot and respect his opinion.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Charles Barkley had some great comments on this. He thinks they should stay at least 2 years in college and he also thinks most kids aren't ready to play against the grown men in the NBA. I like Sir Charles a lot and respect his opinion.

not a good reason for the NCAA to make the kids stay in school

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
A lot are though. Who is to say they aren't allowed in the NBA if they are good enough to make a roster?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm thinking of the muscle mass on most 17-18-19 year olds compared to the muscle mass of a 22-28 year old who has had access to the finest diet, trainers & gyms.

I really don't want to see young men that are still really boys going straight from high school to the NBA...in addition to the physical aspect, the mental maturity and toughness is rarely there, and they end up depending on advice from people that rarely have their best interests at heart.

So while people are all worried about the game, I guess I'm still more worried about the players. Must be the mother in me.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
i feel players like wiggins and parker are ready for the nba but some player like the harrisons twins and tyler ennis would be some much better if they just stayed one more year

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
not a good reason for the NCAA to make the kids stay in school

The NCAA can't make them do anything. It's an NBA rule.

I like the MLB rule. You can go pro right out of high school, but if you go to college, you need to stay 3 years. I wouldn't mind something similar in basketball, even if it were 2 years instead of 3. Also, the NBA has had their developmental league for a while now. I don't know why they don't use it for real prospects instead of a bunch of longshots who might get called up for a week sometime due to injury.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm thinking of the muscle mass on most 17-18-19 year olds compared to the muscle mass of a 22-28 year old who has had access to the finest diet, trainers & gyms.

I really don't want to see young men that are still really boys going straight from high school to the NBA...in addition to the physical aspect, the mental maturity and toughness is rarely there, and they end up depending on advice from people that rarely have their best interests at heart.

So while people are all worried about the game, I guess I'm still more worried about the players. Must be the mother in me.

That has to be part of counseling these young guys. Most won't last 2 years in the NBA, so an approach that gives them the chance at college basketball can work.

I'm not worried about the game. That part will work out on its own. My concern involves telling 18 year old kids that make one bad decision that there's never a second chance, because there really isn't one.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
My thoughts on this are for selfish reasons. I want both the NBA and college basketball to have better products. I think the minimum age for the NBA should be 21. If kids want to leave college early then they can play in the development league. They would need to revamp the salaries so they're not playing for peanuts.