I Come in Peace...

TarheelFan

Mar 22, 2014
Tarheel fan here - I come in peace. I apologize this comes so late, but it took a bit for my account to be validated so I could make this post...

First, I wanted you guys to know I really hate you lost such a tremendous player in Niang to an injury at the start of the NCAA tournament. Not only was he a great player, but from his post-game interview, he sounds like a great teammate as well. With him on the floor, I really believe ISU had a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. Having lost Kendall Marshall two years ago in the NCAA tournament, I remember how depressing it was as UNC struggled to beat a weak mid-major opponent, then fell to a Kansas team I really believe we would have beaten with Marshall on the floor. If we lose, I hope you guys make a deep run in the tourney.

Second, I thought we could swap some team analysis with each other. Here is a UNC breakdown:

This is one of the better defensive teams I have seen in the Roy Williams era here at UNC; normally his teams are poor at guarding the three point line, but this team knows how to guard the perimeter. Our biggest defensive issue (especially as of late) is dribble penetration. Paige, Tokoto, and McAdoo are all terrific defenders based on stop percentage; the key for Ejim is to get McAdoo in foul trouble, because when he stays out of foul trouble, he can really be an effective defender. Likewise, Page is extremely underrated as a perimeter defender, and makes life difficult for opponents. Additionally, our length and athleticism has allowed us to employ effective 2-3 and 1-3-1 zones against opponents, then switching back to man-to-man before the opponent can adjust and become comfortable with our zones.

Offensively, though less true than normal this year, we do far better against quicker teams that like to run; the more a team likes to run, the more likely UNC is to win the game. (In fact, I saw a stat (can’t remember where) that showed when adjusted tempo stats reach somewhere around the 80[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile or higher in a UNC game, our chances of winning games in this upper echelon of speed jumped to well above 90% during the Roy Williams era.) Our half-court offense is a different story; essentially we rely on either (a) pounding the ball inside with our very big frontcourt (in size and length, as we have very good athletes down low which makes them play taller than their heights) and either scoring or grabbing a very high percentage of our misses for put-backs, or (b) allowing Marcus Paige to make a big three or excellent drive and finish in key moments of the game. This means two things: one, if you slow down Marcus Paige, we are one dimensional on offense, and two, if you don’t allow us to get offensive rebounds (which is hard to do for most teams because of our size, but certainly possible), we struggle to get points. (This is especially true when you consider our abysmal free throw shooting.) Play slow, stop Paige, and don’t allow offense rebounds, and this will be a long night for UNC.

Summation: Defensive liabilities are a tendency to get into foul trouble and some trouble with dribble penetration. Offensive liabilities are a tendency to rely on Paige (teams who went to a box and one have had some success), need for speed, and our reliance on second chance points due to poor shooting (including at the free throw line).

What’s your assessment of Iowa State? I look forward to your analysis of your team, and again, I wish you guys the best if you beat us, and I am glad Niang wasn’t a senior and will have a chance to play for a great coach and blossoming program next year.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
UNC will be destroyed. There is nothing that can be done about it.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
We still have a pretty potent offense, but certainly lost something with out George. Our defense is a little better than advertised.

I think if you can shut us down on the 3 point line you win. Our inside game just is not the same without George.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
....you go in pieces.

You seem decent. If your guys slow down Kane's penetration, that's trouble for us today. You'll see him penetrate and distribute a lot today, and you're going to see about 85 Cyclone points. That's just what we do.

North Carolina must, and will, be destroyed.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Your school reminds me of Kansas........that is not a compliment. I am talking about culture and academics too...not solely semi-pro sports.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Thanks for stopping by.

Niang is a huge loss, but not for the reasons you may expect. Though he is our tallest starter, he is not known for his defense or rebounding. He is a guy that can create his own shot and has great vision. He is often used as a point forward, so the offense often goes through him.

Monte Morris shares the PG duties with Deandre Kane. Though he is a true freshman, he leads the nation in assist/turnover ratio at around 5/1.

Deandre Kane is a match up problem for many teams because he is a big guard at 6'4 200 lbs. He is a stat-stuffer averaging 16.9 PPG, 6.7 RPG, and 5.8 APG. He also shoots the 3 at 40%

Naz Long is likely the guy who will replace Niang in the starting lineup. He is our best outside threat shooting the 3 just over 40%

Dustin Hogue plays the 4 for us. Though he is only 6'6, he averages 8.5 RPG. He also scored 10.9 PPG and is our best defender.

Melvin Ejim is the Big 12 player of the year. At 6'6, he averages 18.1 PPG and 8.5 RPG.

One guy that doesn't play a lot (though has been seeing the court more recently) is Daniel Edozie. He is 6'9 and is a good rebounder and defender. He isn't an offensive threat, so that's why he doesn't play too often.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks for the kind words. Not looking forward to playing UNC yet again in the NCAA tournament. You won't find to many kind words in return as the majority of us, hell all of us, hate "snake in the grass" Roy Boy. I hear there is a couple good recruits coming up from Iowa, maybe Roy can fly out MJ to talk to them about UNC. We respect your program, don't get me wrong, but if you beat us we're all going to be rooting for UCONN.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Losing Niang is a major blow. He is a matchup nightmare for every single team that we've faced all year. With all due respect to UNC and their team, I don't think UNC would stand a chance with a healthy Niang. Without him, I honestly have no idea what will happen. Someone is going to need to step up. Kane and Ejim are going to have to play there game, and Long and Thomas will need to increase their contributions. Morris will also need to kick it up an extra gear, even though he has already been fantastic for us all year long. And most importantly, Ejim needs to stay out of foul trouble.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Thanks for the kind words. Not looking forward to playing UNC yet again in the NCAA tournament. You won't find to many kind words in return as the majority of us, hell all of us, hate "snake in the grass" Roy Boy. I hear there is a couple good recruits coming up from Iowa, maybe Roy can fly out MJ to talk to them about UNC. We respect your program, don't get me wrong, but if you beat us we're all going to be rooting for UCONN.

Not me. Those ****ers broke Cy's arm

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
Tarheel fan here - I come in peace. I apologize this comes so late, but it took a bit for my account to be validated so I could make this post...

First, I wanted you guys to know I really hate you lost such a tremendous player in Niang to an injury at the start of the NCAA tournament. Not only was he a great player, but from his post-game interview, he sounds like a great teammate as well. With him on the floor, I really believe ISU had a chance to make a deep run in the tourney. Having lost Kendall Marshall two years ago in the NCAA tournament, I remember how depressing it was as UNC struggled to beat a weak mid-major opponent, then fell to a Kansas team I really believe we would have beaten with Marshall on the floor. If we lose, I hope you guys make a deep run in the tourney.

Second, I thought we could swap some team analysis with each other. Here is a UNC breakdown:

This is one of the better defensive teams I have seen in the Roy Williams era here at UNC; normally his teams are poor at guarding the three point line, but this team knows how to guard the perimeter. Our biggest defensive issue (especially as of late) is dribble penetration. Paige, Tokoto, and McAdoo are all terrific defenders based on stop percentage; the key for Ejim is to get McAdoo in foul trouble, because when he stays out of foul trouble, he can really be an effective defender. Likewise, Page is extremely underrated as a perimeter defender, and makes life difficult for opponents. Additionally, our length and athleticism has allowed us to employ effective 2-3 and 1-3-1 zones against opponents, then switching back to man-to-man before the opponent can adjust and become comfortable with our zones.

Offensively, though less true than normal this year, we do far better against quicker teams that like to run; the more a team likes to run, the more likely UNC is to win the game. (In fact, I saw a stat (can’t remember where) that showed when adjusted tempo stats reach somewhere around the 80[SUP]th[/SUP] percentile or higher in a UNC game, our chances of winning games in this upper echelon of speed jumped to well above 90% during the Roy Williams era.) Our half-court offense is a different story; essentially we rely on either (a) pounding the ball inside with our very big frontcourt (in size and length, as we have very good athletes down low which makes them play taller than their heights) and either scoring or grabbing a very high percentage of our misses for put-backs, or (b) allowing Marcus Paige to make a big three or excellent drive and finish in key moments of the game. This means two things: one, if you slow down Marcus Paige, we are one dimensional on offense, and two, if you don’t allow us to get offensive rebounds (which is hard to do for most teams because of our size, but certainly possible), we struggle to get points. (This is especially true when you consider our abysmal free throw shooting.) Play slow, stop Paige, and don’t allow offense rebounds, and this will be a long night for UNC.

Summation: Defensive liabilities are a tendency to get into foul trouble and some trouble with dribble penetration. Offensive liabilities are a tendency to rely on Paige (teams who went to a box and one have had some success), need for speed, and our reliance on second chance points due to poor shooting (including at the free throw line).

What’s your assessment of Iowa State? I look forward to your analysis of your team, and again, I wish you guys the best if you beat us, and I am glad Niang wasn’t a senior and will have a chance to play for a great coach and blossoming program next year.
Thank you, you appear to be a very nice person. I'am sure you are successful in life. Having said that. I do believe we will play above our head today and give you a great game. We consider North Carolina to be a Kansas twin. And, of course the poaching of some of our best players hurts. We will be out to show future recruits the advantages of staying home.:yes:

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I get a kick out of some of the talking heads who say "Hoiberg hasn't decided who's going to play for Niang". Are you kidding me? Even my wife who is merely an observer, said to me this morning "he knows exactly what he's going to do but why would he tell the press? duh

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
It will be a fun game for sure and also enjoyed your breakdown. Coach Hoiberg loves to create mismatches and it will be interesting to see how this plays out today. It's nice to know the Heels are finally doing better at guarding the 3 as they were getting killed a couple years ago, especially the year Barnes was a Soph. I'm sure the Cyclones will be testing your perimeter defense today and it will be interesting to see the chess match between coach Roy and Fred between man to man and zones. Coach Hoiberg will try to pull McAdoo, Hubert and Brice out of the lane at times to open up dribble penetration unless Roy goes zone. The entire Cyclone team can shoot 3's and penetrate so the Heels will be tested with their length and ability to recover. Ejim and Hogue will have to play big inside as well and staying out of foul trouble will be a key for the Cyclones today. IMO Kane is the X factor for todays game. At 6'5 he is really strong and will go to the iron like a bull today. Not sure if you guys are putting Tokoto or McDonald on him. This will be a key match-up. Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I get a kick out of some of the talking heads who say "Hoiberg hasn't decided who's going to play for Niang". Are you kidding me? Even my wife who is merely an observer, said to me this morning "he knows exactly what he's going to do but why would he tell the press? duh

Exactly. I think he knew who was going to get the nod an hour or so after the game Friday. Doesn't want to say who, especially when a hall of fame coach is preparing to play your team.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006

I think the key to this game is the transition game. ISU does play "uptempo" and tends to get a lot of possessions in one game, but I don't know that I'd say we're a team that scores (or gives up) a ton of points in transition. Rather, our fast tempo frequently takes the form of an efficient half court offense that gets a good shot quickly. Without Georges, I'm much less confident in our ability to get those shots quickly. He is frequently the one drawing the extra defender, getting the defense out of place and making a pass for an easy layup for Ejim or Hogue. We are not nearly as good of a team, in my opinion, when we have to rely on outside shots (though we've still won plenty of games by shooting well). The open question is whether Kane or Monte Morris can fill Georges' shoes as a creator. Kane is good at penetrating, but all too often he ends up taking a highly contested layup instead of dropping the ball off for a better shot.

I can't remember the exact statistic, but I recently saw that ISU was one of the best teams in the country at preventing transition baskets. I think that's largely because we send a couple of people back whenever a shot goes up. If ISU is giving UNC easy baskets in transition, we're in big trouble. Not that ISU is a great defensive team by any stretch, but from what I've seen of UNC this year, I think ISU has a decent chance to stop UNC in half court offense. Paige going wild from downtown is the one thing that really scares me. ISU has a tendency of allowing people to have career nights from 3 point range. McAdoo is a great athlete, but he doesn't strike me as a highly skilled big man like some of those we've had trouble with (i.e. Perry Ellis of KU). If we can force him to play with his back to the basket, I like our chances.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron