McDermott

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
NCAA pregame shown on TruTV just did a short piece on Creighton. Showed the coaching staff joking around and eating, and one of the assistants asked if Nebraska fans will cheer or boo Creighton, McDermott said Creighton fans will cheer for Nebraska with a smile. Then one asked if Iowa State fans will boo or cheer Creighton, McDermott responded, they will cheer for Doug and boo me, I don't know maybe they are still cheering I left. He said it in good humor, everyone had a good laugh.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
NCAA pregame shown on TruTV just did a short piece on Creighton. Showed the coaching staff joking around and eating, and one of the assistants asked if Nebraska fans will cheer or boo Creighton, McDermott said Creighton fans will cheer for Nebraska with a smile. Then one asked if Iowa State fans will boo or cheer Creighton, McDermott responded, they will cheer for Doug and boo me, I don't know maybe they are still cheering I left. He said it in good humor, everyone had a good laugh.

Hahaha, sounds like he has us pegged.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I like Greg, glad hes doing well. Just wasnt a good fit here. No ill will from me at this point. Glad he can take it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Happy for for Doug and Greg. Glad they found success. Can't cheer for Creighton though, but that doesn't have anything to do with GMac.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
No problem here, he couldn't find success here and promptly left. Not like he wasn't trying to succeed here. My only downside is no Doug McD at ISU.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He got out of the way quickly and politely to let Hoiberg make his ascendance. He deserves our respect if not our admiration.

I don't if I'll go that far. I am happy with the way things worked out, and glad that GMac had respect enough for ISU to leave a situation that was just a bad fit. I mean, the way GMac exited, without ISU having to buy him out, and actually having Creighton pay us? That doesn't happen too many times with Power conference coaches with the record GMac had. I mean, look at Iowa. They just stopped paying Lick, THIS YEAR. We didn't have that problem. I'll thank GMac for the way he handled his exit, and respect him for it.

Reactions: Clonefan94

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
One of the rare situations where the outcome benefits both schools involved. GMac's move helped Creighton and Iowa State.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'll happily cheer for Doug as he's an Ames High guy and seems like a good kid on top of it, I'm indifferent as far as Creighton goes though, I'll cheer for them for as long as I have them picked in my bracket.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I don't hate on GMac. He just did not fit at ISU. He struggled to get good player to come and stay at ISU, and unless your are getting a new patch of McD all-americans every year it is hard to win without stability. His teams have been very stable at Creighton, and that is why he has been successful.. The fact that his son is a stud helps.

He did us one additional favor by taking Doug to Crieghton instead of leaving him at UNI, who the Clones have to play regularly.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Lol. Greg seems like a good guy. Maybe not a great coach, but a good guy. Like everyone said, except for a few years that I'm sure were miserable for all involved, the whole thing worked out as well as possible.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Creighton fans are obnoxious. Can't cheer for their team. Has nothing to do with me being a Cyclone fan, just me living in Omaha.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Creighton fans are obnoxious. Can't cheer for their team. Has nothing to do with me being a Cyclone fan, just me living in Omaha.

Tell me about it. My daughter is a grad and has been rubbing their success in my face all year. She quieted down after we won the tournament.

After growing up watching basketball in an ISU home, she almost cried when I told her Greg was leaving ISU for Creighton four years ago.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of the rare situations where the outcome benefits both schools involved. GMac's move helped Creighton and Iowa State.

I already miss the like function.

GMac just wasn't going to work out here and we actually got paid for him to leave. Made way for The Mayor to return home.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think if this had happened the 1st year after Greg left, or even the year we went to the tourney with Royce, there probably would have been some hard feelings and heckling from our fans. It wasn't clear at that time how much the program would recover from that stretch or how long it would take.

At this point it's more like running into an old friend you had a falling out with a long time ago. You're never going to be best buddies again, but you're not mad anymore, it's nice to see them, and you're both happy the other one is doing well.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
Tell me about it. My daughter is a grad and has been rubbing their success in my face all year. She quieted down after we won the tournament. After growing up watching basketball in an ISU home, she almost cried when I told her Greg was leaving ISU for Creighton four years ago.
I bet paying that tuition bill was alot of fun....

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I don't if I'll go that far. I am happy with the way things worked out, and glad that GMac had respect enough for ISU to leave a situation that was just a bad fit. I mean, the way GMac exited, without ISU having to buy him out, and actually having Creighton pay us? That doesn't happen too many times with Power conference coaches with the record GMac had. I mean, look at Iowa. They just stopped paying Lick, THIS YEAR. We didn't have that problem. I'll thank GMac for the way he handled his exit, and respect him for it.

I feel the same way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron