Dejean-Jones - Yea or Nay?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It will be interesting to see what Fred ends up bringing in for JUCO's or transfers this year. A few weeks ago I would have said the obvious need was a starter-quality 2-guard. However, if 3sus can keep up his current level of play going into next year, I'm pretty comfortable with a Morris/Long backcourt. If Fred can recruit over them, that's great, but I really think he can just chase the best talent available, let the pieces fall where they will, and not worry about any obvious holes.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Probably going to be not only one of the best 5th year transfers, but possibly THE best 2-3 that we NEED most. Fred fixes troubles. I'd take him if Fred can handle him.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It will be interesting to see what Fred ends up bringing in for JUCO's or transfers this year. A few weeks ago I would have said the obvious need was a starter-quality 2-guard. However, if 3sus can keep up his current level of play going into next year, I'm pretty comfortable with a Morris/Long backcourt. If Fred can recruit over them, that's great, but I really think he can just chase the best talent available, let the pieces fall where they will, and not worry about any obvious holes.

Yeah, I feel pretty good with Naz at the two with Matt backing him up. Could be a great one/two punch if Naz can gain consistency and Matt can hit his stride. Still, another two/three would be great for depth and foul trouble.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Honestly, at this point, I'm ok with Fred and his staff doing whatever they do/consider and trust if they take that person, they will be an impact player. I think a lot of us forget his first product, Jake Anderson. Remember that year? Jake was such a great addition and hard worker.

The story of Kane almost not making it here (airport issue with no ID?) is crazy to think....just hope NCAA doesn't pull some "violated a TSA screening protocol" rule and vacate our wins. :jimlad:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yes, you have to be careful, but I'll just say this; winning is the best deodorant.

And I was a guy who was very skeptical about bringing in Royce back in the day.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yes, you have to be careful, but I'll just say this; winning is the best deodorant.

And I was a guy who was very skeptical about bringing in Royce back in the day.

And Im thinking Fred with his success with transfers could recruit, but also do some "why should I let you come here?" because he shows he can make these guys better and sell-able to the NBA.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Yes take him. He can play 1-3 positions with his skill set & size (6-5, 210lbs). He led UNLV in points and assists.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah, I feel pretty good with Naz at the two with Matt backing him up. Could be a great one/two punch if Naz can gain consistency and Matt can hit his stride. Still, another two/three would be great for depth and foul trouble.

Agreed. It would definitely be nice to have another wing for depth. I just think when Vaughn didn't commit a lot of us assumed a replacement starter at guard was a MUST HAVE, and now with the way Naz is playing down the stretch, I don't think that's necessarily true.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Agreed. It would definitely be nice to have another wing for depth. I just think when Vaughn didn't commit a lot of us assumed a replacement starter at guard was a MUST HAVE, and now with the way Naz is playing down the stretch, I don't think that's necessarily true.

I still do. Kane and what he brings will be a huge hole that Naz and Thomas just can't fill. We need a guy that can drive to the hoop, not just hit 3s.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I still do. Kane and what he brings will be a huge hole that Naz and Thomas just can't fill. We need a guy that can drive to the hoop, not just hit 3s.

I think it would be kind of foolish to try and recreate this team next year. Similar to moving on from Royce in 2012, it's very unlikely that we're going to bring in one player that can do all the things Kane does. Fred is going to have to re-define this offense yet again.

So if you assume, look at the current projected starting lineup of Morris-Naz-Hogue-Nader/McKay-Niang and tell me which player is the one you definitely don't trust as a starter and is the clear number one priority to recruit over. I'm not saying we don't need to look for a talent upgrade for next year, I'm just saying, I don't think it definitely has to be a 2-guard.