What teams got shafted and what teams got lucky

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
What is everyone's overall take on the brackets? Personally, I think we should have been a #2, and I don't like seeing UNC right there in the field of 32, assuming both teams make it. I think New Mexico got hosed being 7 Seed. I had them as a 4, but figured they would be a 5. BYU kinda lucked out even getting in. Louisville a 4 seed is pretty shocking. I had them as a 2, figuring we wouldn't get a 2. UCLA should not be a 4 seed. Colorado got an 8, should have been a 10 or 11.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Virginia villinova and Michigan got lucky. Louisville def got the shaft and also agree we should have got a number 2 seed with our impressive resume. How many wins did we have again against top 25 teams or our record against them? Either way I think were a team no one wants to see

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Screwed:
SMU
Michigan State
UMass
UConn

Lucky:
BYU
Oregon
Memphis
UCLA(Because they got a great home court advantage as a 4)
Saint Louis
Villanova

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
We got a very favorable draw to get to the Elite 8, but Mich St there is tough and our locations are pretty unfavorable for a 3 seed.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I think we had 6 top 25 wins and 2 top 10 wins. We were 1 game better than Michigan overall, and play in a tougher conference. Not to mention, we BEAT THEM. Virginia got lucky, agreed.

Thank you. Yeah only reason they got a 2 seed over us is because the name on their jersey. And Virginia because they play and won in the favorite acc

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
Thank you. Yeah only reason they got a 2 seed over us is because the name on their jersey. And Virginia because they play and won in the favorite acc

Agreed about Michigan. Wait 10 years, and Hoiberg will have us to where we are getting all the breaks. I don't mind Virginia so much. They are good, but I didn't think they should be a 1.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think Louisville got shafted at all. Look at their resume. I thought it was funny how all Gottlieb could do was cry about Louisville. When he asked the Selection Committee chair about them he served up that they must have been moved down a line for bracketing rules purposes. The chair shot him down pretty point blank and said yes they have been playing great but their complete body of work clearly didn't warrant any better of a seed. I have been going WTF for a while now with all of the bracketologists putting them so high. I think the committee got that one just about right.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't know if I'd count it as a "shaft," but I was surprised North Carolina dropped below the 5 line.

North Carolina State in over Minnesota — I might not have invited either one, and body of work is fairly close, but there is no way to justify NC State in over Minnesota when it's a coin-flip:

Minnesota-NC State comparison

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
I don't know if I'd count it as a "shaft," but I was surprised North Carolina dropped below the 5 line.

North Carolina State in over Minnesota — I might not have invited either one, and body of work is fairly close, but there is no way to justify NC State in over Minnesota when it's a coin-flip:

Minnesota-NC State comparison

I think UNC is right where they should be. I still don't really want to play them, but at the same time... bring 'em on!!!

boyd

Feb 19, 2012
What is everyone's overall take on the brackets? Personally, I think we should have been a #2, and I don't like seeing UNC right there in the field of 32, assuming both teams make it. I think New Mexico got hosed being 7 Seed. I had them as a 4, but figured they would be a 5. BYU kinda lucked out even getting in. Louisville a 4 seed is pretty shocking. I had them as a 2, figuring we wouldn't get a 2. UCLA should not be a 4 seed. Colorado got an 8, should have been a 10 or 11.

I thought Iowa was awfully lucky to get a play in.:realmad:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think Louisville got shafted at all. Look at their resume. I thought it was funny how all Gottlieb could do was cry about Louisville. When he asked the Selection Committee chair about them he served up that they must have been moved down a line for bracketing rules purposes. The chair shot him down pretty point blank and said yes they have been playing great but their complete body of work clearly didn't warrant any better of a seed. I have been going WTF for a while now with all of the bracketologists putting them so high. I think the committee got that one just about right.

Actually louisville got really lucky, imo. They didnt deserve any higher seed than they got (for the reasons you mentioned) but they have a path that involves an extremely overrated SLU (they lost to duquesne!) and wichita state at the 1 in their part of the bracket if they dont get beaten before then.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Screwed:
SMU
Michigan State
UMass
UConn

Lucky:
BYU
Oregon
Memphis
Saint Louis
Villanova

Did you see the UCLA turnout for the PAC12 tournament? They had maybe 100 people in the building in Vegas (4 hour drive). Otherwise I agree with your list.

Louisville got seeded about where they should have. Sure, they look like a very dangerous team, but their schedule was pathetic. Their conference is weak and they played hardly anyone in non-conference.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
In a way Virginia got lucky - because everyone else being considered for the last No 1 seed lost (KU, MU, Wisc, Duke). But after all that, winning the regular ACC title AND winning the ACC tourney is enough I feel they deserve it.

I definitely think SMU got shafted. I thought BYU was good enough to make it but after all the experts predicted they were out, I was pleasantly surprised to see they made it.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Virginia villinova and Michigan got lucky. Louisville def got the shaft and also agree we should have got a number 2 seed with our impressive resume. How many wins did we have again against top 25 teams or our record against them? Either way I think were a team no one wants to see

Our team is 8-2 vs. top 25 competition; one of the best records in the nation, plus they're 6-0 in neutral court settings.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Anyone who doesn't want to take down Roy Boy is crazy. We took down Self, Droopy Dawg doesn't scare me.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Screwed:
SMU
Michigan State
UMass
UConn

Lucky:
BYU
Oregon
Memphis
Saint Louis
Villanova

Just curious why you feel UMASS got screwed and Saint Louis got lucky? I get that the Billikens have struggled the last couple weeks (got screwed by the stripes in tournament). UMass is a 6 and should be closer to an 8. Saint Louis should have been a 6 (maybe 7), but getting put as a 5 with Louisville looming is anything but lucky.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Duke and UCLA got lucky - playing in their immediate area, but not based on earning it with a higher seed.

Edit Duke, not UNC - Duh, UNC's in our bracket

Last edited: