high school shot clock

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
i think they need a shot clock for a least 4A schools. Games will be better and less boring

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Yes yes, a 1000x yes.

When a team that is up by four can "hold" the ball and milk the clock for a whole minute, there's some issues.

Macadelic

Feb 23, 2014
I believe the 35 second shot clock should be implemented at the high school level. I would also like to see the college shot clock lowered to 30. Also, I like games with two halves and I wish high schools would change to that rather than having a break every 8 minutes.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'd personally LOVE to see it as an official but I understand Colo-NESCO's athletics budget can't handle it nearly the same way Ames High's budget can. A lot of the smaller schools in Iowa are just scraping by as it is.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I believe the 35 second shot clock should be implemented at the high school level. I would also like to see the college shot clock lowered to 30. Also, I like games with two halves and I wish high schools would change to that rather than having a break every 8 minutes.
Two halves I'd totally disagree with. College playing halves isn't bad because they're playing in 4 minute chunks between each media timeout. That's not nearly the same story in high school.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Two halves I'd totally disagree with. College playing halves isn't bad because they're playing in 4 minute chunks between each media timeout. That's not nearly the same story in high school.
Was just going to say this. They would have to implement some sore of "media timeout" at the highschool level to go to halves.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I would rather see colleges go to quarters and eliminate some of the TV timeouts.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
I'd personally LOVE to see it as an official but I understand Colo-NESCO's athletics budget can't handle it nearly the same way Ames High's budget can. A lot of the smaller schools in Iowa are just scraping by as it is.
thats the problem not all schools have the money to do it i think they should start out with 4A and if its a lot better try to get it in with 3a 2a and 1a

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
I would even be for one if it were as high as 40 seconds. It never seemed like it would impact the game even if it were 35 seconds for the several Hawkeye 10 games I went to this year. It really would only come in to play at the end of halves when one team would start their stall with 4 minutes. Sure you should be able to kill some clock, it is your reward for playing well, but seriously half a quarter.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Make it optional for the schools to have them during the regular season, but then hosts for district and substate games must have them for tourney. That's when it really matters.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
You can get portable shot clocks they use in AAU tournaments for a couple hundred bucks.
Those aren't going to fly in the regular season. They have to be placed where everyone -- coaches, players, officials and fans -- can see them. A portable clock isn't going to fit the bill. It also means having to find and train another volunteer to learn the rules and operate it. Some small schools have trouble even finding volunteers to keep a score book on the road.

I think you will eventually see shot clocks at the high school level, there is some buzz about it right now, but it will most likely be the big schools first and on a conference-by-conference basis.