that will teach me to give up before the final whistle

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
I was on a mini vacation in ocean city and happened to catch the last 11 minutes of the game from my hotel room. with about 1:00? left kane got blocked and naz missed a wide open three then we fouled someone. i got really ****** off and didn't want the game to ruin the rest of the day so i just chalked it up as a loss and tried to forget about it.

didn't find out we won until i got back to wv early this afternoon. what a great surprise! but i missed one of the more exciting games in recent cyclone history because of it.

for the record though, i have never left a cyclone game early. this was perhaps my first time even leaving the TV early.

such a quitter. I hang my head in shame (but with a smile for the win).

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I think the people who left early to beat the rush probably feel worse than you do. So you have that going for you at least!

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
So many people standing around the concourse yesterday. Would they not let them back to their seats?

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Pretty much did the same thing. I turned it off when Keaton Paige 2.0 was fouled with 5 seconds left.

I didn't realize we won until much later that evening when I saw the ESPN ticker. Luckily I had recorded the game, so I was able to go back and watch the whole thing.

Talk about a swing of emotions!

Last edited:

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
If you have it DVR'd or can watch the replay it is funny. Right after the shot the crowd is going crazy. They pan one side and then go to a student section end. There is a girl in her coat running back down the steps to her seat. She obviously left too soon!

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
I was out of town and just caught the first half play by play and the last minute of o.t. Told my wife that I was going to watch this when we get back home and she told me that she didn't know that I really wanted to dvr this game since we thought that we were going to be home in time for it so she took the record off of the dvr! Wasn't very happy when she told me this - as you can imagine.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
If you have it DVR'd or can watch the replay it is funny. Right after the shot the crowd is going crazy. They pan one side and then go to a student section end. There is a girl in her coat running back down the steps to her seat. She obviously left too soon!

On another note, anybody notice Forte during the final play. For some reason he copies Naz and basically jumps at the exact same time like he is going to shoot the ball, but he's about 10 ft behind Naz.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
On another note, anybody notice Forte during the final play. For some reason he copies Naz and basically jumps at the exact same time like he is going to shoot the ball, but he's about 10 ft behind Naz.
saw that too. he probably just saw the "shooters rhythm" and his body just reacted as if he were taking the shot. there are a lot of times when i am watching sports on tv and as a player is about to explode into a move, shot, tackle, etc. my leg or arm will twitch as if i am the one playing.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
I want the people that left hilton too soon to identify themselves and take their public flogging like they deserve. There was many.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pretty much did the same thing. I turned it off when Keaton Paige 2.0 was fouled with 5 seconds left.

I didn't realize we won until much later that evening when I saw the ESPN ticker. Luckily I had recorded the game, so I was able to go back and watch the whole thing.

Talk about a swing of emotions!

I didn't turn it off but mentally I was sure it was over.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I regret to say I did the same. My wife was working and called and asked if I could bring her something after the game was over. I thought it was over, for all intents and purposes, so I shut off the TV and left. When I got there she said,"Did you hear they're in OT?"

To make matters worse, my DirecTV box had been acting a little flaky so I hit the red reset button before I left, so it stopped recording!

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I couldn't watch live and had it on fast forward for the last minute or two...luckily I didn't just turn it off entirely (the thought was in my head).

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My daughter wasn't feeling well so got a chance to do the relaxing in bed while watching the game thing. I woke her up with my reaction to Naz's 3.

I felt bad, but only a little.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I regret to say I did the same. My wife was working and called and asked if I could bring her something after the game was over. I thought it was over, for all intents and purposes, so I shut off the TV and left. When I got there she said,"Did you hear they're in OT?"

To make matters worse, my DirecTV box had been acting a little flaky so I hit the red reset button before I left, so it stopped recording!

You, of all people, as a ref, should have known that anything can happen. Shameful behavior, you guys.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Things could be worse...I left at halftime of the Infamous win against #2 Okey State in Football because the chick I brought to the game decided she wanted to go back to Des Moines. Thinking she meant to my bed, I obliged. Dropped her off at her ex's places in time to make it home to watch the last 4 minutes....Natalie, I'll never forgive you

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Things could be worse...I left at halftime of the Infamous win against #2 Okey State in Football because the chick I brought to the game decided she wanted to go back to Des Moines. Thinking she meant to my bed, I obliged. Dropped her off at her ex's places in time to make it home to watch the last 4 minutes....Natalie, I'll never forgive you
Ouch...

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I didn't turn it off but mentally I was sure it was over.
This was me, I was watching in a state of complete depression. I think this was a really hard one for Travis Ford to take. We lost one in practically the same way and I remember this big discussion on whether Hoiberg should have had someone fouled.