Alright Blum....

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
As the resident Cyclone Fanatic supervisor of officials, I need to get your opinion. There was a 2-3 minute stretch in last nights game where one official was involved in three plays that ultimately led to Baylor's Brady Heslip scoring 9 points during the last minute of the 1st half and the first couple of minutes of the second half. I personally felt this stretch was critical in the outcome of last nights game.

1) This play involved Edozie closing out late on Heslip on a missed three. 1st) The official didn't blow his whistle until the ball was off the rim. If you agreed that there was a foul should he have been awarded a shooting foul, or should it have been a foul on the floor?

Edozie lands left of the shooter and is clearly planted before Heslip decides to Marcus Smart himself to the ground. Was he indeed fouled on the shot? Was there enough grey area there to warrant a call?

2) At the beginning of the second half, the same official is positioned on the baseline and Baylor is running Heslip off a couple of screens to get him open for a three point shot. First, Baylor's Royce O' Neale runs across the lane to chip Monte Morris which creates initial seperation between Heslip and Morris. Then as Morris trails on the baseline. Austin slides a couple of feet sides ways and hips Morris which gives Heslip enough separation to make a three point shot. The same official as the first play is positioned three feet from where Austin slides down and hips Morris. The replay showed him positioned to clearly see this happen. Was that a moving screen? Was it acceptable for the official to miss that call? Keep in mind that we are talking about a lanky 7 footer that is a few feet in front of the official.

3) Only a few moments later in the same area on the court Baylor again runs Heslip off a screen and Austin again slides sideways to impede Morris and Heslip gets enough separation to hit another three. Should that have been called a moving screen, and if so is it excusable for a big twelve official to miss back to back moving screens or am I being to critical?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'd like to add that on a breakaway lay-up attempt by Kane, it looked to me like he got fouled as he left the ground to shoot, but they called it on the floor. Opinion?

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Im not Blum, but the moving screen is like holding in football it seems. Happens more often than not (Georges is no stranger), but is a judgement foul as opposed to a clear cut kind of foul (although by definition it should be clear cut).

As far as the Heslip 3 that he was fouled on. I have no idea. I would think he is still in the act of shooting (although it didn't really alter the shot in any way), it is considered a shooting foul.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'd like to add that on a breakaway lay-up attempt by Kane, it looked to me like he got fouled as he left the ground to shoot, but they called it on the floor. Opinion?

I think the refs last night knew how disappointed our fans and Fred were in our FT shooting, so they did their best to not have to put us through that.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
[video=youtube;YVVTZgwYwVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVVTZgwYwVo[/video]

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Missing 3 calls all game is pretty good! :spinny:

This is a really good post and I actually agree with all of these criticisms.

1. Fouls on a three point attempt are some of the hardest to see due to positioning. One official should be watching the shooter at all times, but human nature sometimes makes the official ball-watch and out of the corner of the eye they see contact and call a foul. It didn't appear to be much of a foul.

2/3. Baylor did appear to be setting very loose screens. They were getting away with it all night. In a perfect world, they would have been whistled for fouls, but last night the officials were allowing a lot of contact. There were only 26! fouls called all game, which is extremely low. The nickle and dime stuff was not getting called and that's how it goes I guess.

Valid points and they did impact the game. I don't think they were egregious errors that are inexcusable though. On the other hand, Melvin and Georges going 5-26 may be inexcusable. :smile:

Last edited:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006

1. Fouls on a three point attempt are some of the hardest to see due to positioning. One official should be watching the shooter at all times, but human nature sometimes makes the official ball-watch and out of the corner of the eye they see contact and call a foul. It didn't appear to be much of a foul.

2/3. Baylor did appear to be setting very loose screens. They were getting away with it all night. In a perfect world, they would have been whistled for fouls, but last night the officials were allowing a lot of contact. There were only 26! fouls called all game, which is extremely low. The nickle and dime stuff was not getting called and that's how it goes I guess.

Valid points and they did impact the game. I don't think they were egregious errors that are inexcusable though. On the other hand, Melvin and Georges going 5-26 may be inexcusable. :smile:

Thanks for your insight.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Anyone else notice that Issiah Austin set 2 moving screens on Morris when Heslip hit 2 of his 3s?

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND

Do you think as conference play has progressed, that the "rules of emphasis" to begin the year like the hand-checking or impeding progress rules have regressed and no longer being called consistently? I think we need to replace Mr. Curtis Shaw as Big 12 coordinator of officials with Mr. Blum.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
And I will clarify, in no way do I think the officials lost us the game last night. It was just a poor effort and not being ready to play on our end.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Do you think as conference play has progressed, that the "rules of emphasis" to begin the year like the hand-checking or impeding progress rules have regressed and no longer being called consistently? I think we need to replace Mr. Curtis Shaw as Big 12 coordinator of officials with Mr. Blum.
Ha! They have certainly called fewer fouls over than the pre-conferece season. Not sure if this is because of relaxation of the points of emphasis or the team's adjusting, but something to watch for sure.

I actually think Iowa State may fare better in the NCAA tournament because those games are usually more tightly called and closely monitored. (Unless Niang gets 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes that is. )

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
As long as we're throwing random stuff out there....can someone with reffing knowledge explain how goaltending works when it comes to trapping the ball against the glass? I always thought that trapping it was goaltending but after the last few weeks I'm pretty confident I'm completely wrong, or just missing some nuances of the rule.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
As long as we're throwing random stuff out there....can someone with reffing knowledge explain how goaltending works when it comes to trapping the ball against the glass? I always thought that trapping it was goaltending but after the last few weeks I'm pretty confident I'm completely wrong, or just missing some nuances of the rule.

The ball has to be completely above the basket ring in order for goal-tending to be called once it hits the back-board. This is often misunderstood.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The ball has to be completely above the basket ring in order for goal-tending to be called once it hits the back-board. This is often misunderstood.
Hmm, I did not kniw that, I thought that it was goal tending if it hits the board first. I did think the Baylor guy blocked it right before it ht the board.

Reactions: ThurgoodMarshal

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Anyone else notice that Issiah Austin set 2 moving screens on Morris when Heslip hit 2 of his 3s?

I don't consider myself an officiating expert, but those two were competently obvious on TV IN REAL TIME.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Hmm, I did not kniw that, I thought that it was goal tending if it hits the board first. I did think the Baylor guy blocked it right before it ht the board.

The ball cannot be on its downward trajectory coming off the backboard on a shot attempt. If touched at that point you have goaltending/basket interference.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I don't consider myself an officiating expert, but those two were competently obvious on TV IN REAL TIME.

I agree, I was screaming at my tv, "that's a moving screen, call the offensive foul!" followed by twish! 3 points! Then, they replayed the 3-point shot to show how "great" it was, and the moving screen was even more obvious. Austin slid over about 3 feet to make that screen. I was shocked that the TV announces didn't say anything wwhen they replayed because of how obvious it was. I was expecting something like, "looks like Austin got away with a big moving screen, but great stroke by Heslip"

In that same series where Heslip was on fire 3-3, on the other end, Ejim was putting up some horrible 3 point shots. When he is having trouble hitting a bunny from 3 feet, I'm not sure how wise it is to put up a 3-point shot. Every 3-point attempt by Ejim was very short, nearly air-balled. He just seemed really off last night. I expect him to have a ridiculously great game on senior night. He doesn't have games like last night very often.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

I would support a petition to replace Shaw with anyone as long as he doesn't get to stay in that cushy position. Heck, put in Charles Barkley, Shaq, Oscar the Grouch, freaking Ed Hightower....anyone is better than that a-hole who screwed us in the elite 8.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron