Crappy Toilets

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I've got two toilets in the house that I rent. Both are prone to clogging/backing up. At first I chalked it up to using too much toilet paper at once, but now that we've known it's an issue we have tried being more careful and it's happening more frequently now. I can call the landlord and they will send the maintenance man with a snake to clear it up. I have a plunger but I'm out of town a lot and only have limited success using it when I'm around.

Should I just put keep putting up with it and calling the landlord to send someone when it clogs up? Or is there a better way to clear this up besides running new larger plumbing lines?

Thanks in advance.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Are there tress in your yard? If there is, they might be clogging up the sewer line. We had this problem back home a couple years ago, and we had to replace everything.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Are there tress in your yard? If there is, they might be clogging up the sewer line. We had this problem back home a couple years ago, and we had to replace everything.

Yes there are. Interesting. I hope that's not the case because then I'll have to convince the landlord. Or I guess just keep calling them until they get the picture.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Also, the lot the house sits on slopes downhill to a small creek in the backyard. The backyard stays wet most of the time even when it hasn't rained in a while. I guess I should let them know about that too since it could be related.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
write a letter to your landlord explaining (POLITELY) what is happening and how you are being careful, yet this problem continues. Then ask him to fix it so normal use isn't an issue.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Ask the landlord if he would be willing to call a plumber with a boroscope to check the sewer lines for tree incursion, breaks, etc. If the problem is nagging enough, you might even consider paying for this on your own.

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Ask the landlord if he would be willing to call a plumber with a boroscope to check the sewer lines for tree incursion, breaks, etc. If the problem is nagging enough, you might even consider paying for this on your own.

IMO, never. zero return for the renter. If he follows a few steps and believes this is a problem for living there, it allows him to break the lease (after following certain steps) or be reimbursed for the cost of repair.

OP: What city/state are you in?sd

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
our house was built in the 1970s and two of the toilets would clog with even the slightest amount of TP. we bought new toilets and the problem was solved.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I live in Texas. Is writing a letter better than calling as far as putting a record together for evidence I may need in the future?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I live in Texas. Is writing a letter better than calling as far as putting a record together for evidence I may need in the future?

ABSOLUTELY. Send it certified. And call within a week of sending it to follow up. It isn't rude, it shows you are serious. Leave emotion out of if... the fewer the words used the better. Just the facts ma'am.

In iowa there is Iowa Legal Aid. I'm sure there is something similar to that in TX. Find some FAQs / Tips on filling a complaint/asking for repairs then send the letter.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
The place we rented in Waterloo had terrible plumbing. The toilet would back up so bad that the tub would have water standing in it. Also, a few times over the two years our carpet in the hallway and into the bedroom would be damp and would make footprints every time we took a step. Our landlord constantly blew us off. We took pictures if everything! Come to find out they had laid the carpet over the sewer clean out which is against code, so they knew they were in for a fine. They tried to pin everything (carpet replacement, cleaning etc) on us saying it was our fault we kept clogging the toilet. Once I told him we had pictures his tune changed pretty significantly.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

absolutely agree with Keep. Unless you get the NSA involved, no one will know what was actually said in a phone call. Keep it to letters and he can't claim to have misunderstood/not talked about it/twist your words. Well, not as easily, anyhow.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Don't mess around with sewer problems, especially if you are living on a slab foundation (which there is a good chance since he lives in TX).

For me personally, I'd want to know what the problem is. And if it's a cracked pipe or tree incursion into the pipe, and if the landlord isn't going to fix it, I'm looking for a different place to live ASAP. The problem is only going to get escalate.

Last edited:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
absolutely agree with Keep. Unless you get the NSA involved, no one will know what was actually said in a phone call. Keep it to letters and he can't claim to have misunderstood/not talked about it/twist your words. Well, not as easily, anyhow.

Snapchat + screen shot.

"Look at this toilet YO!"