Ground Grading/Excavating Help Needed

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
We're looking to hire somebody to bring in some dirt to put around the foundation of the house and do some grading work to help with drainage. Does anybody have any recommendations of some quality & affordable grading contractors around West Des Moines?

We're also going to be looking to get a cement slab laid some time this summer so any assistance on that would be welcome as well:)

Thanks!

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
You could start by using the term concrete instead of cement.......haha (There is a difference). Sorry I can't be of further help regarding contractors, I live in Minneapolis.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I thought you bought a condo/townhouse? Don't you need permission from the neighbor hood govt to do any exterior changes like these? My in-laws have very strict rules about what exterior changes are allowed.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I work for free beer. At least that is what my dad paid me when we did that to his backyard. And I could/would help ya.

most landscapers should be able to do a good job at what you need. otherwise, not living or from the DSM area, I can't point you in the correct direction.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I thought you bought a condo/townhouse? Don't you need permission from the neighbor hood govt to do any exterior changes like these? My in-laws have very strict rules about what exterior changes are allowed.

Nope, we went from a traditional house to a traditional house. We had thought about moving to a townhouse in Ankeny but ended up getting a traditional house in WDM instead. Couldn't give up the freedom and joy of a regular house.

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
Huber Grading or Corell Contractor would be who'd I'd tell you to use, but I deal with them mostly on larger scale projects. Regardless of who you use, you'll probably pay some extra if you're asking them to supply the fill dirt.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I work for free beer. At least that is what my dad paid me when we did that to his backyard. And I could/would help ya.

most landscapers should be able to do a good job at what you need. otherwise, not living or from the DSM area, I can't point you in the correct direction.

I was just thinking that we could probably get just about any landscaper to do the same thing. I don't know what the differences in rates would be from contractor to landscaper but it at least opens our options a little more.

Stelrs1995

Apr 17, 2006
Waukee, Iowa
You can call my company, Elder Corporation. We dig a lot of basements and sometimes have dirt to get rid of. As far as placing the dirt around your foundation you will need a skid loader and that can get expensive. The guy you could call is named Bill Knight, his number is 515-249-7669. The owners are also big Cyclone fans. :biggrin: