Nakiah Bell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Bill said Bell was a one of his top targets for the 2014 class now I see why. Her size has always slowed me from believing she was big time. I guess if you look at what she has done (Incarnate HS's record) and now this national recognition, it appears we are getting a great one.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Anyone notice out of 30 All-Americans only two Big 12 schools are represented. ISU has one and Texas has THREE.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
So... which past ISU players have been high school All-Americans?

Kelsey Bolte
Anne O'Neil
Lindsey Wilson

Others?

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
She reminds me of one of my favorite players at TN, Shannon Bobbit who was PG for their back to back National Championship teams. Now, on defense, it might be a challenge, but if she can get up in the grill of guards like Shannon did, then she will be a star.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
She reminds me of one of my favorite players at TN, Shannon Bobbit who was PG for their back to back National Championship teams. Now, on defense, it might be a challenge, but if she can get up in the grill of guards like Shannon did, then she will be a star.

And then there was that point guard at Okie State 3 or 4 years ago, whose name I have forgotten, but she was 5-5 and gave every team she played against the fits. A real offensive weapon. So I'm not worried about Bell's size either.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Yeah, pretty scary how much talent Aston is landing.

Because it's Texas.
I'm quite surprised that Baylor doesn't have anyone on the list but I guess Mulkey is getting a lot of unfavorable press these days. Grinner's book that was released yesterday pretty much hammered her reputation.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Andrea Riley I believe. A name I will not utter again.

I think she is still in the WNBA. She was one of the top scoring NCAA players in the country back in '09-'10. She won some awards I think one was the nations top point guard or something. Bell would do well to imitate Riley.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I think she is still in the WNBA. She was one of the top scoring NCAA players in the country back in '09-'10. She won some awards I think one was the nations top point guard or something. Bell would do well to imitate Riley.

I really hope not. I would hope that BF recruits players with more class than Riley.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I really hope not. I would hope that BF recruits players with more class than Riley.

I agree with your comment. IIRC Riley's FGA was almost comical - yes, she scored tons but she was basically given free rein to shoot anytime she wanted.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
She was also a worse flopper that Marcus Smart. She would pull other players down from behind in attempts to get fouls called.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
I would hope she could be another Ivory Latta (UNC). I loved watching her play.

We don't want any of our players to have the personalities of Riley or Latta, in my opinion. Coach always emphasizes the person as well as the player, so I'm sure Nakiah has the talent without the ego. Latta was kind of crazy-like as I recall, at least in college.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Her last home at OSU she killed us and we were a top 20 team and cowpokes were unranked. She was suspended for a few games I remember. But come on, Riley had a 'tude and a mean streak that can win you games. Riley was good though she was not a high draft pick due to her height.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Her last home at OSU she killed us and we were a top 20 team and cowpokes were unranked. She was suspended for a few games I remember. But come on, Riley had a 'tude and a mean streak that can win you games. Riley was good though she was not a high draft pick due to her height.
Amen! I would love to have an Andrea Riley-type player on our team. Mean streak is right.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
We don't want any of our players to have the personalities of Riley or Latta, in my opinion. Coach always emphasizes the person as well as the player, so I'm sure Nakiah has the talent without the ego. Latta was kind of crazy-like as I recall, at least in college.
I don't think I would describe her that way. She was the team leader, and fired up her teammates.....similar to what I think Kidd does for ISU. She was full of energy......not so sure I would call it craziness.