Fred Hoiberg

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jorgensen79

Jan 6, 2014
I live in Webster City, who hosted Gilbert Monday night for first round district basketball. Jack Hoiberg started, and naturally Fred was there. Everyone here was star struck, but we tried out best to leave him alone and let him just be a parent. Until he went to get some popcorn. He was mobbed out in the lobby, and there were at least 30 people who wanted pictures. He was very nice and let a few people get pictures with him before apologizing and saying he really needed to get his popcorn and get out. (I know the girl who served him the popcorn, she had no clue who he was). We already had a star struck atmosphere, and then Dallas Clark showed up. Him and Hoiberg sat next to each other for a while, until he was approached for autographs.

Webster City has a brand new basketball gym built two years ago and we have a 12 camera system and video board, which I help run. We did do a little creeping on him when we didn't have to be focusing on covering the game. I got a pretty funny video of him stuffing his face with popcorn.

just wanted to share to show appreciation for how nice and sincere he was at a time that he probably only wanted to be left alone

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Don't know much Jack Hoiberg as far as his game. Anybody know if he is very good and what year is he?

Jorgensen79

Jan 6, 2014
Don't know much Jack Hoiberg as far as his game. Anybody know if he is very good and what year is he?
Jack is a freshman. He was brought up to varsity 6 games ago, and on his fifth game he scored 27 points. He looks like he is 12 years old but plays very smart

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
And Webster City lost the game vs. Gilbert, which is why CFH was there and wanted to get back. You get same from his players at ISU WBB games when their in attendance. Class act Coach and Team.

Lastly, you have a nice new complex at Webster City and surely proud of it, keep the creeping film internal as Fred put it the other night "Social Media will be the death of us"

Jorgensen79

Jan 6, 2014
keep the creeping film internal
oh yes we were instructed that Fred was not to be on the video board under any circumstance. Disappointed loss for us too. Down only two midway through the third, then that turns into a twenty point loss

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
Last fall during the Iowa State-Texas game at Jack Trice, myself and a couple of friends were returning back into JTC at the end of half time. As were walking through the east concourse, I saw Fred heading towards one of the men's restrooms. No one even blinked an eye or really noticed him. I would have thought he had some awesome suite somewhere to watch the game but apparently he pees along side us common folk. When I got back to my seat, I told everyone I saw Fred going to the bathroom, and then promptly realized in horror how bad that sounded. The point is, even with the fame, history, adulation and money, he's still the same guy he's always been and is just such an awesome dude.

Jorgensen79

Jan 6, 2014
Yes, most peoples biggest takeaway was he was very 'normal' for such a celebrity (by our towns standards). He made small talk with those working at the game, cheered like a normal fan, etc.. Very cool experience for a small town! Fred got more attention than Dallas Clark did actually

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
I don't know why this surprises people he's corn fed Iowa bred. Were good humble people

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I heard he puts his pants on one leg at a time.

Nope he hangs them ten feet in the air and jumps into them from 22 feet away.

His feet don't even touch the material on the way through.

Jorgensen79

Jan 6, 2014
The Force is strong with this one.
In only six games he is their second leading scorer I believe, per game of course. He gets his points quietly. A layup here, a three there. Very easy to lose defensively. We put in a special defense to keep him at bay but it still didn't work. Vert bright future

Jorgensen79

Jan 6, 2014
Nope he hangs them ten feet in the air and jumps into them from 22 feet away.

His feet don't even touch the material on the way through.
I wrote a short story about his end of day pants activities.

Fred slowly opened the front door of his home, careful as to not awake any of the sleeping children, or the Hoibabe herself, Carol. 'Ha. Hoibabe. I'm funny.' Fred thought, marveling at his superior pun ability. After a very quiet trip the fridge to grab a late night snack of Wheat Thins and a chocolate pudding Snak Pak, he checked his watch. 1:34 am. He had spent his night watching game tape from his playing days, and photoshopping his head onto various model's bodies. He had even saved one to show the boys during practice tomorrow. It was getting too late for Fred, and he knew it. 1:45 was the point of sleep deprived insanity. He needed to get to bed. He carefully cracked the door to the master bedroom. Carol was still asleep. He quietly slipped off his Iowa State jacket, and removed his belt. His pants were two sizes too big, and he ordered them that way solely for this nightly routine. He unbuttoned and unzipped, and took a massive leap upwards, separating pants from Mayor. The sound of the jump was enough to stir Carol, but not wake her. Now Fred had a pair of pants on the ground that needed to be in the hamper. He wasn't going to settle for just walking them over and setting them in. No, Fred needed to shoot. From where he stood was about six feet from the hamper. Much too close, that wasn't his range. So, he backed up to the corner of the room. Still, too close. He needed to shoot from deep. He opened the bedroom door, and went all the way to the end of the hallway. It was going to be a challenge considering the low hanging door frame, but he was up to it. He took two pseudo dribbles, and went up with the shot. "HEAT CHECK" he yelled, whilst turning around to walk back on defense with his hand held up in the international three point signal. His daughter opened the door from her bedroom. "Dad, why do you do this every night when we are all asleep?" Fred takes a minute to consider.

"no shot is a bad shot. Now go back to bed." He kisses his daughter goodnight, and heads for his bed. Within minutes he is back to dreaming about cutting down the nets.

Last edited:

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton

Fred slowly opened the front door of his home, careful as to not awake any of the sleeping children, or the Hoibabe herself, Carol. 'Ha. Hoibabe. I'm funny.' Fred thought, marveling at his superior pun ability. After a very quiet trip the fridge to grab a late night snack of Wheat Thins and a chocolate pudding Snak Pak, he checked his watch. 1:34 am. He had spent his night watching game tape from his playing days, and photoshopping his head onto various model's bodies. He had even saved one to show the boys during practice tomorrow. It was getting too late for Fred, and he knew it. 1:45 was the point of sleep deprived insanity. He needed to get to bed. He carefully cracked the door to the master bedroom. Carol was still asleep. He quietly slipped off his Iowa State jacket, and removed his belt. His pants were two sizes too big, and he ordered them that way solely for this nightly routine. He unbuttoned and unzipped, and took a massive leap upwards, separating pants from Mayor. The sound of the jump was enough to stir Carol, but not wake her. Now Fred had a pair of pants on the ground that needed to be in the hamper. He wasn't going to settle for just walking them over and setting them in. No, Fred needed to shoot. From where he stood was about six feet from the hamper. Much too close, that wasn't his range. So, he backed up to the corner of the room. Still, too close. He needed to shoot from deep. He opened the bedroom door, and went all the way to the end of the hallway. It was going to be a challenge considering the low hanging door frame, but he was up to it. He took two pseudo dribbles, and went up with the shot. "HEAT CHECK" he yelled, whilst turning around to walk back on defense with his hand held up in the international three point signal. His daughter opened the door from her bedroom. "Dad, why do you do this every night when we are all asleep?" Fred takes a minute to consider.

"no shot is a bad shot. Now go back to bed." He kisses his daughter goodnight, and heads for his bed. Within minutes he is back to dreaming about cutting down the nets.

and here i thought the zooming in on fred was the camera was going to be the creepiest thing in this thread.

cyclonenation5

Jul 12, 2013
Ames

It got weird...

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013

This is really weird.....

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames

What did I just read?

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

:no:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

What The ****