(Don) Shula's Steakhouse coming to Des Moines

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Heard recently that Shula's Steakhouse is coming to downtown Des Moines. Sounds like it will be located in the Renaissance Savory Hotel.

I'm not a huge fan of chain restaurants but I am curious if anyone has been to one of these/has any firsthand feedback.

I see on their website, they have different versions/themes to their restaurants- a grill, sports, etc. I'm pretty sure the one coming to Des Moines is the steakhouse.

Home

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
$50 for a steak? It better come with an attractive female companion for the duration of the meal.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I've been to one of the steak houses. It was alright. Not worth the price though.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I ate at one in Florida while do training at our sales meeting. It was Lent so I had tuna. It was incredible - thought I was eating steak. Probably not a place I would go to if someone else wasn't paying.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
It's been a few years but I landed late in the day on a Sunday, somewhere, for a meeting starting the next day. The only restaurant open within walking distance of the hotel was a Shula steakhouse. Honestly, I wasn't in the mood for a fine/ expensive steak (a rare moment indeed) but that's what was there. It was excellent. I'd put in on par with Ruth Chris.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good but overpriced. If I'm dropping that kind of cash for dinner I'd prefer it be a locally owned place.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Good but overpriced. If I'm dropping that kind of cash for dinner I'd prefer it be a locally owned place.

It looks like they franchise out these restaurants, so it could be locally owed (although, your point is well-taken). Since the Savory is owned by Marriott, I don't know if Marriott becomes the owner of this franchise or if they just lease out the space to the franchisee who is bringing this to DM. From my understanding, the Savory intends to keep their Bos restaurant.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
I'd give anything for a Ruth's Chris to come to dm. The filet is great.