Doug McD

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
GMac admits what we already knew in a Tom Shatel column today: He didn't want Doug at ISU because he felt like he wasn't going to last long here:

"“The Iowa State thing, at that point in time, wasn't a good idea,â€￾ Greg said. “There was a chance I could lose my job in a year or two, and the last thing I wanted was my son in the middle of that.â€￾

Shatel: McDermott, the luckiest man in coaching, has also been mighty good - Omaha.com

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
1. I'm sick of people pretending like the new Big East is something better than a shadow of what it used to be. It is not a good conference. All of the good teams left. Quit talking like its so amazing to be on top in it.

2. Please tell me I misread that and when the writer was talking about using spacing he didn't say that "you can't do that at Iowa State".

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Wait, what?!?!? My Creighton friends say this job is a step up from Iowa State. This can't possibly be correct.

That is just nuts, no one could really think that. The Big East is turrible. Part of me is looking forward to seeing how things go after Doug is in the NBA.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I like Greg as a human being, he seems like a nice guy. But the day he took that Creighton job will end up being the greatest day in ISU basketball history.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Moving Wragge as center to the perimeter to open up the scheme this year. Gee, where have we seen that?

250 plays in the playbook? Takes a special team to run that.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
and thanks to arkansas for being almost as strange as mason jar. Had dana stayed there, Creighton may not have ended up with McD

[video=youtube;AeUZFagfR80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeUZFagfR80[/video]

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I like Greg as a human being, he seems like a nice guy. But the day he took that Creighton job will end up being the greatest day in ISU basketball history.
2nd greatest. Orr hire was more important. Led to establishing isu on the map and hugely shaped Hoiberg as we know him today as a basketball coach.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Creighton will be a new team next year without Doug. They will have to reinvent themselves.

TLBCLONE

Nov 7, 2006
So basically McDermott admits that he had given up and wasn't even trying any more at ISU. I'm guessing he was still accepting a paycheck from ISU, though. Really shows what great character he has.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
1. I'm sick of people pretending like the new Big East is something better than a shadow of what it used to be. It is not a good conference. All of the good teams left. Quit talking like its so amazing to be on top in it.

2. Please tell me I misread that and when the writer was talking about using spacing he didn't say that "you can't do that at Iowa State".

The American is the better basketball conference now, even when Louisville leaves. Without Doug McDermott the Big East is a one bid league this year, American is a four bid league without Louisville.