Rothstein loves Kane

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
And rightfully so. Kane is a huge part of this team, but to say we are an 11 or 12 win team without him is a bit ignorant I think. We would still have Ejim, Niang, and most importantly Hoiberg. No way in hell we only hypothetically win 11 or 12 games without him.

Observations: BC win shows thin line between haves, have-nots - CBSSports.com

3. Iowa State's DeAndre Kane should be Big 12 Player of the Year.
And that's simply because the Cyclones would be an 11- or 12-win team without him. Kane has changed everything for Iowa State this season and he makes everyone else around him instantly better when he's at the point of attack and initiating offense. The fifth-year transfer is averaging 16.2 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 6.0 assists for the Cyclones, who will play in their third consecutive NCAA Tournament this March under Fred Hoiberg. The 6-4 Kane simply gets his teammates higher-percentage looks, and Melvin Ejim, Dustin Hogue, and Georges Niang all tremendously benefit from his presence. One could make a case for West Virginia's Juwan Staten or Kansas' Andrew Wiggins or Joel Embiid as the Big 12 Player of the Year, but Kane's overall impact has allowed Iowa State to become a nationally known team. Without Kane, the Cyclones wouldn't have been able to navigate the best conference in college basketball and frankly, they may not have had a chance. It's amazing how one player can make that much of a difference.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Kane, Staten, Ejim. In that order IMO. It could go any way but I don't see anyone but one of those three being the winner. WIggins and Embiid are great neither is an important to their team as those three.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I appreciate the praise but that is an absolute slap in the face to the other players on this team, and absolutely untrue as well.

bsaltyman

Drinker of beer
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Rothstein is an idiot if he isn't even mentioning Ejim as a Big 12 player of the year candidate. I would vote Ejim before anyone else.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Kane, Staten, Ejim. In that order IMO. It could go any way but I don't see anyone but one of those three being the winner. WIggins and Embiid are great neither is an important to their team as those three.

See. I think Ejim and Kane flip spots. And probably Wiggins put ahead of Kane. The award isn't MVP, but PotY, and Ejim's stats put him as the best in the conference.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I hope its Mel. But Kane deserves consideration too. Hope they don't split votes.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I appreciate the praise but that is an absolute slap in the face to the other players on this team, and absolutely untrue as well.

That's completely absurd, I agree. I think our team would be fine with Morris at the point full time and Thomas or Long at SG. Just means a couple bench guys would have to step up. Now I'm not sure we would be a tourney team, but you're right that's a slap in the face.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Staten won't get it bc WVU isn't good enough. I think Kane, Ejim, Wiggins, Embiid are the most likely and I think if it ended right now it would be Ejim or Kane.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Let's remember Hoiberg won 16 games his first year with much less talent (even if you take away Kane) IMO.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Kane and Ejim could split the votes allowing someone else to win.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Let's remember Hoiberg won 16 games his first year with much less talent (even if you take away Kane) IMO.

Our schedule was way tougher this year though, both OOC and the B12. Getting to 16 without Kane would have been a great over/under IMO.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
If KU wins the Big XII again (very likely), I'm afraid that either Wiggins or Embiid get POY. I believe the voters will be sucked into the mindset that you have to reward the best team with a POY award. I hope not, 'cuz, based on his body of work thus far, Mel Mel deserves the award!

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Armadi would make this a different team, Hoiberg would utilize his lineup accordingly. Kane and Ejim both should be in the running. I do feel they will take votes away from each other but so will Emblid and Wiggens.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We would be a bubble team without Kane. Morris would be great facilitator and manage the game, but we'd lose a ton of offensive production without Kane.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Without Kane our win totals would have been the same as the past few years, we'd be looking at potential 7-11 seed range instead of 3-6 seed range.

Morris would have struggled a bit early but still eventually came into his role, but we'd have lost 3-4 non conference games early without Kane more like we had the past few years. We'd be worse in conference play but still grind out to be over .500.

I think Hoiberg has now built this thing to the point where losing any one player wouldn't tank a season. Obviously any team could take a hit if 3-4 players got injured.

CornFedIABoy

Jan 8, 2014
I don't know about bubble. We'd be the Big 12's fourth or fifth tourney team, not the probable 2nd highest seed but we'd still be there. I'd spot Kane's marginal impact to be two or three wins, not eight or nine.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
We still make the tourney without Kane. I just don't think we would be ranked.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If KU wins the Big XII again (very likely), I'm afraid that either Wiggins or Embiid get POY. I believe the voters will be sucked into the mindset that you have to reward the best team with a POY award. I hope not, 'cuz, based on his body of work thus far, Mel Mel deserves the award!

I think Embiid recent injury trouble will sink his chances, though he looked dominate vs TT. Wiggins is playing real well these past few game but, not living up to the hype leading into the season thus seems disappointing which can take away votes. I do think ISU will need to finish in the top 3 to get player of the year, luckily both Kane and Ejim will need to show up for that to happen. My guess would be Ejim haveing a slight leat at this point. Voters like to reward 4 year starting senior and last years acedemic POY over a 1 year guys as in the other 3's cases. IMO.