USA - Canada Women's Gold Medal game

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Great matchup so far. These are hands down the 2 best teams and they are pretty evenly matched. Staying out of the box will be key going forward. It will be tough tho with the Women's no checking rules. They really don't like each other and like to hit each other.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Meghan Duggan with a fabulous shot high glove for the 1-0 USA lead

Edit - by glove I mean glove side as opposed to stick/ blocker side of the goalie. I know some knew that already some may not have. Don't want anything lost in translation.

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Way to go Ladies! killed of the 5-3 and 5-4 didn't allow a shot on goal with 4 blocked shots. Actually created a good short handed opp 5 on 4

Coach Joel Quenneville of the Chicago Blackhawks has a philosophy that the team that comes thru a 5 on 3 situation best has the momentum. there is some jump in the US Women right now and Canada is dragging because they know they missed an opportunity.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Following our huge Pen Kill, there was about a min of play or so where Canada did look shocked. A stoppage in play allowed for the final Ice Cleaning of the period and that stoppage seemed to help Canada regroup. The final few mins of the period were back to pretty even.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Way to go Ladies! killed of the 5-3 and 5-4 didn't allow a shot on goal with 4 blocked shots. Actually created a good short handed opp 5 on 4

Coach Joel Quenneville of the Chicago Blackhawks has a philosophy that the team that comes thru a 5 on 3 situation best has the momentum. there is some jump in the US Women right now and Canada is dragging because they know they missed an opportunity.

I really thought Canada should have just allowed the US to gain control of the puck, they would have had almost a full minute 5-3.

Reactions: CYcoFan

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Very entertaining game. I don't watch much women's hockey, but it's a lot more physical than I expected.

great observation. I know there is a no checking rule in the womens game, I wish for these 2 teams only when they play do away with that rule. There is a lot of speed, skill and physical play when these 2 meet.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I really thought Canada should have just allowed the US to gain control of the puck, they would have had almost a full minute 5-3.

They said the same thing as you did during the broadcast. I was torn on that right away and maybe they were too. Even if they only took one chance and let USA touch would have been 45-50ish seconds, but 32 seconds only allowed for a couple chances.

With that said the USA PK was outstanding and eliminated a lot of opp with good defensively responsible play.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Am I the only one that thinks Hilary Knight #21 USA with her size and speed might be able to play on a 3rd or 4th line on an NHL team?

Last edited:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
You can tell I'm in North Dakota, poor attendance in class and of those who showed up probably 1/4 to 1/3 were streaming the game on their laptops. For women's hockey mind you!