Tampa Bay to introduce new logo

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Probably the owners looking for a money grab on new merch. Seems like I heard they had some serious money issues, possibly in the Madoff ponzi scheme or something. There was something going on there when they fired Gruden, hired Morris on the cheap and left a ton of cap space one year.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Buccaneer Bruce or riot.

FAB-U-LOUSSS!!!

buc-bruce.gif

It was the 70s. Seemed like a good idea at the time. So did disco. Then the cocaine started to ware off...

Last edited:

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
I was a big fan when the franchise was created, and I loved the unis. Not a fan anymore, but just about anything would be an upgrade from currrent unis and helmets

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Worst Pro Sport Logos IMO:
NFL - Jaguars, Titans, Texans
MLB - D-backs, Marlins
NBA - Rockets (go back to the old stuff), Magic, Bobcats
jacksonville_jaguars_logo.png

How did this get better? It still looks like a throwing up cat Jags. SUCKS *Floating head logos for teams just look stupid IMO. Especially cats. AKA, Uni's logo... terrible.

tennessee-titans.png

The flaming T struggles

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Worst Pro Sport Logos IMO:
NFL - Jaguars, Titans, Texans
MLB - D-backs, Marlins
NBA - Rockets (go back to the old stuff), Magic, Bobcats
jacksonville_jaguars_logo.png

How did this get better? It still looks like a throwing up cat Jags. SUCKS *Floating head logos for teams just look stupid IMO. Especially cats. AKA, Uni's logo... terrible.
So you're saying it's a perfect fit?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I've always kind of liked Tampa's current look, but of course they would have switched to that right when I was at the age that you get into football and are easily swayed by "cool" uniforms, plus I saw them all the time because they were inexplicably in the Vikings division then, so I might be nostalgia-biased.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I actually though Tampa has always had a B+/A- logo and uniform set, both the orange/red and the red/pewter.

Orange/red screams Florida, and red/pewter works the pirate motif quite nicely, and both had acceptable logos for their times--the Bucco, again, screams 70s and the current one just looks obviously something from the cartoonish 90s.

A classy update of either could be nice.

Then again, I know this is not going to be a classy update. This is going to be some unholy Nikefication with random panels, colors, too much black and gray for no reason, EXTREME everything, ugly monochromatic high school getup, and way too many color combinations. I know they are just doing helmet right now from the sound of it (sort of how Carolina did things a few years ago and, to a lesser extent, Detroit with a new helmet logo and a tweak to the uniforms), but the ugly Seattle "update" (when there was *nothing* wrong with their gorgeous blue/green/silver uniforms

I wish football would go the route of baseball and hockey (and even basketball, though Adam Silver and uniform logos are about to make that into a semi-pro European league in terms of look) where only looks respectful to the history and trappings of the game are acceptable.

Not saying Tampa is going to ramp off that now, though, at least. Rant over. Whew.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I actually though Tampa has always had a B+/A- logo and uniform set, both the orange/red and the red/pewter.

Orange/red screams Florida, and red/pewter works the pirate motif quite nicely, and both had acceptable logos for their times--the Bucco, again, screams 70s and the current one just looks obviously something from the cartoonish 90s.

Then again, I know this is not going to be a classy update. This is going to be some unholy Nikefication with random panels, colors, too much black and gray for no reason, EXTREME everything, ugly monochromatic high school getup, and way too many color combinations. I know they are just doing helmet right now from the sound of it (sort of how Carolina did things a few years ago and, to a lesser extent, Detroit with a new helmet logo and a tweak to the uniforms), but the ugly Seattle "update" (when there was *nothing* wrong with their gorgeous blue/green/silver uniforms

I wish football would go the route of baseball and hockey (and even basketball, though Adam Silver and uniform logos are about to make that into a semi-pro European league in terms of look) where only looks respectful to the history and trappings of the game are acceptable.

Not saying Tampa is going to ramp off that now, though, at least. Rant over. Whew.

Eh, every sport has it's eyesore logos/uniforms.

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines

Some people think its going to be a pretty minor tweak with the main changes being to a white helmet so that they can wear their throwbacks again. The NFL added a rule last year that you can only wear the same helmet all year and couldn't wear a different one for the throwback game. The pewter obviously wouldn't have worked at all with the old unis.