Do we dare?????

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
Do we dare to pull for Texas on Sat to beat KU so we can gain a game on KU and get closer to first place?

Or do we just pull for KU to win at home, and gain that game on TX and get solid position on second place and call it good?

It would be nice to see TX lose to us, KU, and OU in a matter of a week or so too, but there is a slim chance we could get first if KU would somehow slip up...considering they only beat Tech by one......

What do ya think?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Just be concerned about finishing in 2nd at this point. KU is going to win its 10th consecutive title. Nothing is going to change that at this point.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
As much as I hate KU and all the calls they get, we should want KU to win and send Texas down to a tie with us assuming we take care of business against TCU. We have a great shot at getting the 3rd seed and still an outside shot at the 2nd seed which would be awesome for the Big 12 Tournament.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
If TT had beaten KU last night, I would say root for Texas. But barring a miracle I think the best we can hope for is 2nd, so we want UT to lose.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
If TT had beaten KU last night, I would say root for Texas. But barring a miracle I think the best we can hope for is 2nd, so we want UT to lose.
I agree with this. Since KU got pampered to another win, they are set to win the conference so we just need them to take care of business with the rest of their games so it pushes the teams they play down farther and moves us up since we are done playing them.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Unless we win out and KU blows their last five games (three of which are at the phog), the chances of us winning the reg season are non-existent. We have a better chance at winning the conference tournament. That said, the 2 seed (KU is almost assured of the 1 seed) would be our best route.

However, since I intensely dislike both fan bases in general (UT because I'm a transplanted Texan and my family were nearly all Aggies and KU dating back to Ol' Roy poaching the best of Iowa's HS players plus their sense of entitlement), I find it hard to root for either team. I'll just sit back and enjoy the skills on the court, and let it play out. :)

Caveat: there are good people in both fan bases, but as an entity, each group is obnoxiously puffed up, as if they were the ones putting the points on the board.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
Overall,and realistically, I agree with going for second place, or worst case 3rd place...Just avoid the 4th/5th spot.

But maybe KU is hitting wall? With Embiid breakdown, maybe there is a slip up in their future.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Do we dare to pull for Texas on Sat to beat KU so we can gain a game on KU and get closer to first place?

Or do we just pull for KU to win at home, and gain that game on TX and get solid position on second place and call it good?

It would be nice to see TX lose to us, KU, and OU in a matter of a week or so too, but there is a slim chance we could get first if KU would somehow slip up...considering they only beat Tech by one......

What do ya think?

Nope. "Root" for KU the rest of the way. At best we'd tie them and would lose the tiebreaker. My rooting interests are for 2nd. We had our chances against KU.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

This. I hate Kansas so I hope that about 7 of their players lose their minds and attack some fan in the stand, but I want them to beat Texas on Saturday.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Overall,and realistically, I agree with going for second place, or worst case 3rd place...Just avoid the 4th/5th spot.

But maybe KU is hitting wall? With Embiid breakdown, maybe there is a slip up in their future.

I agree with all who say KU is probably out of reach. However, assuming our record is the same, there is really no difference between the 2 and 3 seeds in the B12 tourny. In fact, as crazy as the standings are right now, the 2 seed might get Baylor or OSU in round 2. We just have to avoid the 4 seed and a KU semi-final.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'd rather focus on big 12 tourney seeding, we still have to play Kstate, WV and Okie St. We have plenty of our own work to do. I think everyone will have really tough first games in the conference tourney. Wouldn't shock me to see a couple upsets, honestly other than TCU, any of the other 9 teams could make the semifinals. That's not even knowing specific matchups.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Nope. "Root" for KU the rest of the way. At best we'd tie them and would lose the tiebreaker. My rooting interests are for 2nd. We had our chances against KU.

Aside from rooting for The Phog to implode upon itself this is my response. Second place is the best we can hope for at this point.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA

That's false. There are five games left before the tourney. Kansas has a three game lead on us, so it's mathematically possible for us to get the #1 seed.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Don't forget conference championships don't have a tiebreaker. If we won out and KU lost 3 games (lol) we would be co champs.

I think after they beat Tech it is pretty safe to root against Texas Saturday.

Although I don't see the 2 seed over the 3 seed as a huge advantage considering OSU and BU are so talented but so low in the standings. 3 over 4 is big though.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Unless we win out and KU blows their last five games (three of which are at the phog), the chances of us winning the reg season are non-existent. We have a better chance at winning the conference tournament. That said, the 2 seed (KU is almost assured of the 1 seed) would be our best route.

However, since I intensely dislike both fan bases in general (UT because I'm a transplanted Texan and my family were nearly all Aggies and KU dating back to Ol' Roy poaching the best of Iowa's HS players plus their sense of entitlement), I find it hard to root for either team. I'll just sit back and enjoy the skills on the court, and let it play out. :)

Caveat: there are good people in both fan bases, but as an entity, each group is obnoxiously puffed up, as if they were the ones putting the points on the board.

You get credit for a conference championship, even if you tie. KU has had several tiebreaker losses in their "9 straight championships". I don't think we have a shot but we could claim a conference title if we tied KU.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

What do ya think?

Kansas has 2 conference losses and we have 5. Cheer against Texas. First place is out of reach at this point.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The only way to go. KU just about clinched it last night by a point. Want second to be in opposite bracket of the tournament.

Help Support Us

Become a patron