1 in 4 unaware Earth revolves around Sun

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I feel like a certain number of people would just say they didnt know this just to troll that kind of a question.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For discussion's sake, does it really matter for most people either way?
No, it's the kind of thing that you should know, but if you don't it's not like it affects your life one way or the other, other than making you look like an idiot if someone is conducting a survey.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
No, it's the kind of thing that you should know, but if you don't it's not like it affects your life one way or the other, other than making you look like an idiot if someone is conducting a survey.

It's more of a problem of, if you don't know something that simple, what else don't you know? Potentially something that could affect your life.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I want to see exactly how the question was asked. I don't believe it until I see the actual question.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's more of a problem of, if you don't know something that simple, what else don't you know? Potentially something that could affect your life.

I think some people just don't put much effort in remembering things that aren't useful or important to them.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
I feel like a certain number of people would just say they didnt know this just to troll that kind of a question.

Right? It's just like those survey's they would give in high school. Why yes of course I drink, smoke, and have unprotected sex with multiple partners 5-7 days per week.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
I want to see exactly how the question was asked. I don't believe it until I see the actual question.

Seriously? Since this is consistent with the ignorance of a ton of other science-based facts, I TOTALLY believe this. Ignorance and stupidity have become something that many American's are actually proud of.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north

Does the Earth go around the Sun, or does the Sun go around the Earth?

Seems pretty simple to me and it looks like the percentage of people who missed the question ranged from 14% to 34% in past year, so it looks like the results are some what consistent.

I think this is probably the more alarming question: It is the father’s gene that decides whether the baby is a boy or a girl

Anywhere from 36% to 78% missed that question.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Can we stop these people from voting? Also... put them in a home so we can spoon feed them while they watch Honey Boo Boo.

I love this idea!

Before you vote, you take a 10 question quiz of super easy material. If you score below like 80%, you still get to vote, it just doesn't count. We don't tell you if you passed or not either.

What would be really funny is after the election, seeing the results based off of the new validated quiz votes, and the actual votes.

bonus benefit: lazy/stupid people would not even want to go vote because of the test

Last edited: