NFL's Top 10 Most Heartbreaking Losses???

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Y! SPORTS

I cannot believe THE FAIL MARY was not on this list nor the IMMACULATE RECEPTION.

The Fail Mary?! You Packers fans are delusional! You actually think a week 3 Monday Night loss is one of the 10 Most Heartbreaking Losses of All Time?! I thought you Packers liked to pump your chests on tradition? A Week 3 Monday Night Loss isn't in the top 10 most heart breaking Pack losses of all time and this is from a Bears Fan.

Epic Fail post

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
The Fact that so many of those are from the last 10-15 years makes it flawed. 2nd If the NFL network wanted to put a heartbreaking Tony Romo Game why not when he botched an extra point snap to lose the game?

Hard to get on board with that top 10 list at all, but to say again the Fail Mary was properly excluded @ BanFan err um Wamfam.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
No Vikings vs Saints in 2009? All Favre had to do is run 4 yards or throw it away and Longwell would have likely nailed the game winner for the Vikes to head to the Super Bowl.. That game break my heart at least. Still to this day.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I guess they just ignored the 1970's. How are these two not on the list???

[video=youtube;7xMDIcsUMmA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xMDIcsUMmA[/video]

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
No Vikings vs Saints in 2009? All Favre had to do is run 4 yards or throw it away and Longwell would have likely nailed the game winner for the Vikes to head to the Super Bowl.. That game break my heart at least. Still to this day.

Again Bear fan here but as a Viking would you put 2009 over 98 season 99 Title game and Gary Anderson's miss? Given the season i would think 99 title game but what do I know.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
No Browns on that list? Elway and the drive over CLev (In fact most great late drives are heart break for the other team). Byner fumbling going into the endzone?

@ Wamfam This is more of a Heartbreaker that the Packers played in and they won 94 playoffs I think. Ask Det fans

[video=youtube;Qbwiuz9utmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbwiuz9utmI[/video]

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
Stabauch hailmarry, Anderson missed field goal when he hadn't missed all year, and Favre throwing a ridiculous interception late in the 2009 NFC championship. I thought the list having at least one of those three would be a lock.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Ernest Freaking Byner. Hell the Play is known as THE FUMBLE! Byner scores Browns are in SB. Def needed to be on the list

[video=youtube;d8boPbIfG0M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8boPbIfG0M[/video]

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I didn't watch the video, but I hope the 95 AFC championship game between the Steelers and Colts made the list. With the Colts down 20-16 and time for one play, Jim Harbaugh launched a hail Mary. The ball actually rested on the chest of indy receiver Aaron Bailey as he was laying on the field before it rolled away. You can't come any closer to completing a hail mary without actually pulling it off. Heartbreak city for Colts fans.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Broncos were up 38-31 so even if Byner scores, the game is only tied. Elway would have had a minute to work his magic before overtime.

I hear ya shouldn't have said gone to SB but SB was on the line. The main point was one of those Clev losses to Denver should be on there for me. I would prob pick "The Drive"

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I didn't watch the video, but I hope the 95 AFC championship game between the Steelers and Colts made the list. With the Colts down 20-16 and time for one play, Jim Harbaugh launched a hail Mary. The ball actually rested on the chest of indy receiver Aaron Bailey as he was laying on the field before it rolled away. You can't come any closer to completing a hail mary without actually pulling it off. Heartbreak city for Colts fans.

It wasn't. Funny you mention 95 season that reminds me of 1994 season AFC Title Game and Steelers Fans wanting to kill Carnell Lake for getting burned late and Des Moines/ Ankeny's own Dennis Gibson leads Charger D with a great goal line stand.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
The 98 Vikings game doesn't get brought up in my household and it looked like this video continued the tradition.