I'm thinking Final Four

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
I know what you're thinking and no, I'm not drunk or on drugs (nothing illegal anyways). I honestly think that we have an outstanding chance to get to the Final Four (by outstanding, I mean in relation to other teams' chances).

Here's why: 4 of our losses came on the road and guess what, there are no road games in the tourney! Our only home loss was a joke and a fluke. I mean Kane was hurt and Ejim was in foul trouble, the refs were terrible, Wiggins and Embiid had their best games of the seasons, Kansas was hitting their peak and played lights out, shooting 51%, did I mention the refs? The only called 13 fouls on KU! Despite that, we still were within a point late!

We can hang with anyone, and I would absolutely hate to have to prepare for our style and athleticism. Also, if there's a big game to be played, I want Fred game-planning and calling the shots. Looking at a lot of the bracketologies, I have realized how well we match up with so many of the 1's and 2's. We also have 2 all-American caliber players that can take over the game at any time and are impossible to game plan for.

I really think that this is our year! I can't wait for March....and April! :)

Go Cyclones!!!

Reactions: CycloneErik

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Embiid may have injury problems come the B12 tournament. He may have been injured playing Riddley.

Clones56

Jan 27, 2014
Iowa State Campus.
I would say we have an outstanding chance to make the sweet 16, depending on who loses and what matchups come our way, i think the elite 8 is a possibility but if we make it to the elite 8 we will have had to go through a #1 seed. We are projected 3-5 seed, that means we will most likely meet a #1 in the sweet 16, (Florida, Arizona, KU, Syracuse) but if they get knocked off which could happen i see us in the elite 8.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
im-not-sure-about-that-feel.jpg

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Let's start with seeing how they play tomorrow against Tech. We lose that and you opinion probably changes drastically.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
I wouldn't go as far as saying our only loss at home was a fluke. Sure, we didn't shoot our best. Kane was injured, Ejim, and especially Niang were off. But, the point could be made that Embiid had that much of an influence on those guys in the post. Don't kid yourself, the KU team we lost to is a VERY good team. Monday we looked straight up BAD. Sure it could have been an off night, but unfortunately those aren't permissible in March. At the same time, I think anything is possible. I think this team could turn some heads like it has so far this season. I think it is a good tournament team. But do I think it is likely or predictable that they are in the final four? No. But anything is possible. Just gonna have to wait and see. One thing is for sure. I'm going to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Playing Ohio State in Dayton, Ohio was pretty much a road game...

Pretty sure playing Michigan state in Ann Arbor was basically a home game.......I stopped reading after "no road games" FWIW.

i hope we are a final four team....but if we got "Hamptoned" again....id have several reasons that have plagued us all year all queued up for why we lost.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Let's be honest. We shot so poorly in Hilton against Kansas because they made it difficult to get a lot of the shots off or altered our shots. We were intimidated by their length.

That being said, we had stretches in our games against KU, where I know we can go toe to toe with them even if we don't match up well with them.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
It could happen with some luck. I'd settle for getting to play the second weekend.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
Put down the vodka kool-aid...

Remember, "as good of a shot as anybody" still means single-digit to teens percent of a chance. So many teams with glaring weaknesses and playing in the best conference in the nation makes me believe we can beat anyone.

Also, remember what we did to teams from the other big conferences (Big 10 especially).

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
You're the same guy that made a thread asking if we could get a #1 seed in the tourney. Right?

By the way, I see you are a new member, welcome to Cyclone Fanatic.

EDIT: LOL my bad, you're not the #1 seed in the tourney guy, you're the ISU = Kentucky thread guy. LOL.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
I'm not convinced that this team can string enough good games to make it past the sweet 16 (and I hope we make it this far!). I do believe we can beat anyone in the country on any given night, but we've also seen how we can lose focus defensively, and shoot terribly as well on any given night. If we can move the ball and not get stagnant, elite 8 is very real!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This team doesn't feel like a Final 4 or even a Great 8 team to me. We all know anything can happen in the tournament.