"Pop" in calf muscle

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
While officiating tonight there was a pop and excruciating pain in my upper right calf muscle just below the knee. I was able to finish the game (which, of course, went into overtime) with a terrible limp but I'm guessing by morning it will be pretty f'd up. Anyone ever done this? Am I looking at a serious injury?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Strained calf muscle?

Calf Muscle Pain - Calf Strain or Pull

A calf strain is similar to an Achilles tendon tear or rupture, but occurs higher up in the back of the leg. The signs of a calf strain are also similar to that of an Achilles tendon rupture - you may think you've just been hit in the back of the leg and hear an audible "pop." There will be sudden, sharp pain in the back of the lower leg, or pain, swelling and even bruising over the calf muscle. Most calf injuries will make it difficult to tolerate weight on injured side and make it very difficult to stand on the toes.

Fair warning, I'm a good 7 or 8 years away from actually being a doctor.

ISUFAN80

Mar 18, 2008
While officiating tonight there was a pop and excruciating pain in my upper right calf muscle just below the knee. I was able to finish the game (which, of course, went into overtime) with a terrible limp but I'm guessing by morning it will be pretty f'd up. Anyone ever done this? Am I looking at a serious injury?

Same thing happened to me while jogging last year. Lots of ice and taking it easy for 2 to 3 weeks did the trick for me. Depending on your age might want to see a doc or if it does not get any better. Rest was what I was told.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Same thing happened to me while jogging last year. Lots of ice and taking it easy for 2 to 3 weeks did the trick for me. Depending on your age might want to see a doc or if it does not get any better. Rest was what I was told.
Damn. 2-3 weeks would mean the end of my basketball season. Not what I wanted to hear! I'm going to the doctor first thing in the a.m.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Go to a physical therapist! I was having that problem above my knee where it was randomly popping and giving out. I had a form of tendinitis and did four weeks of physical therapy (two days a week). It stopped popping after three visits and I've been over a month now without a pop!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
That is how my neighbor described it when he ruptured his Achilles. He limped around for a few weeks then finally went to the doctor. He said that made it harder to fix. I think you should get it checked out today

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Similar thing happened to me during a workout. I tried to wait it out didn't get better after about a month went to the Doc - ended up being a DVT that broke lose a little - had it broken completely lose it would have been lights out on an pulmonary embolism.

Probably not your case, but I though I had just strained/pulled my calf muscle.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Similar thing happened to me during a workout. I tried to wait it out didn't get better after about a month went to the Doc - ended up being a DVT that broke lose a little - had it broken completely lose it would have been lights out on an pulmonary embolism.

Probably not your case, but I though I had just strained/pulled my calf muscle.
Amen to this! DVTs are very dangerous and need to be checked immediately. I'm betting yours is a calf strain, but you have to rule this out.
(And yeah, I'm going to be that guy. Loose = Free/Wobly, Lose = Me correcting a forum message)

jflattery

Oct 29, 2008
Kansas City

I was playing in an adult kickball league when I heard a pop in my calf. I was on 1st and the kicker behind me kicks a pop off almost directly at 2nd base. I turned back to 1st, but the fielders somehow managed to drop it. I turned to run toward second and my calf "popped". I was able to hobble and beat the throw to 2nd somehow. I came out of the game after that.

My leg ended up swelling up to about twice its normal size. and turned black and blue all over. I ended up going in and having the doctor look at it. They were worried it was a blood clot or that I had torn my achilles tendon. After an ultrasound; I found of that I had torn my calf muscle and it took several months to heal.

Last edited: