Food in Dallas

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I will be heading to Dallas for a conference next week, staying near Market Center. Anyone have any suggestions for good food in that area? I have never been and would like to try something unique. I don't really have a preference on type, just good grub.

Thanks!

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
I will be heading to Dallas for a conference next week, staying near Market Center. Anyone have any suggestions for good food in that area? I have never been and would like to try something unique. I don't really have a preference on type, just good grub.

Thanks!

Babb Brothers BBQ and Blues is 5 minutes away.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Not for the food, but for the game Saturday...McFadden's in Addison. There isn't an official game watch this weekend but if you are still in town Saturday there is usually a crowd of Cardinal and Gold there.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I went to Saltgrass Steakhouse and Hard 8 BBQ when I was down there a month ago, both were pretty good.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Thanks!

Steak is an obvious choice for Texas. If you want something unique, maybe try a Brazilian Steakhouse. I think the Dallas/Ft. Worth area has a few. Get a pile of red meat and make sure you drink lots of caipirihinas. You won't be disappointed.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I went to Saltgrass Steakhouse and Hard 8 BBQ when I was down there a month ago, both were pretty good.
I've eaten at both as well and agree.
Hard 8 you have to be prepared, you ask for a bit of brisket and you get half a cow.

Never made it to Sonny Bryans BBQ

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Steak in Texas sucks by comparison to Midwest steaks. There's a reason that BBQ originated in TX and that's because the meat was so tough that they had to marinate it in something to soften it up.

CBD Provisions (1530 Main St) in the Hotel Joul is really good!
Wolfgang Puck's 560 at the top of Reunion Tower is actually good food and a good sushi bar in there too. It rotates so you get a great view of the city.
Dee Lincoln's Burger Bar is good (Dee is the original founder of Del Frisco's Steak House).
The Lower Greenville area has a lot of choices as does the McKinney Avenue area.

Babb's is good, but there are a couple other good BBQ joints too. We go to Babb's a lot just to support Chris' family and get updates on him. But the Pecan Lodge is great, as is the Slow Bone and Sonny Bryans.

There are a lot of trendy little joints that are great, but I'd recommend skipping the chains like Salt Grass and Texas Land & Cattle as they aren't much better than Chilis.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

ken

Dec 28, 2008
Pecan Lodge for BBQ. Only open certain days/times, and get there early.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Steak in Texas sucks by comparison to Midwest steaks. There's a reason that BBQ originated in TX and that's because the meat was so tough that they had to marinate it in something to soften it up.

CBD Provisions (1530 Main St) in the Hotel Joul is really good!
Wolfgang Puck's 560 at the top of Reunion Tower is actually good food and a good sushi bar in there too. It rotates so you get a great view of the city.
Dee Lincoln's Burger Bar is good (Dee is the original founder of Del Frisco's Steak House).
The Lower Greenville area has a lot of choices as does the McKinney Avenue area.

Babb's is good, but there are a couple other good BBQ joints too. We go to Babb's a lot just to support Chris' family and get updates on him. But the Pecan Lodge is great, as is the Slow Bone and Sonny Bryans.

There are a lot of trendy little joints that are great, but I'd recommend skipping the chains like Salt Grass and Texas Land & Cattle as they aren't much better than Chilis.

It didn't originate in Texas, but I understand what you're saying.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Babb Brothers BBQ and Blues is 5 minutes away.

dude makes a mean brisket

Screen-shot-2012-11-01-at-2.57.45-PM.png

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I put Babb's up there in comparison with Cactus Bob's in Johnston (which is my favorite).

Lot of unique foods in the Deep Ellum area, would recommend that. Standard Pour in Uptown is delicious.

Just went to the Rustic for the first time last week and it was delicious. (In the Uptown area).

A lot of decent-pretty good Mexican places, Pepe and Mitos, Mannys Uptown.

But my favorite affordable restaurant is Babbs.

ZombieCyclone

Sep 4, 2010
Hard 8 bbq is the ****.

It's in Carroltown, Coppell area, but worth the 15 minute drive from where you are staying.

Source: me, just moved back to Iowa after living in Coppell for 2 years.

I miss the Tex-mex food in Dallas........................

Last edited:

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Try to find a Bone Daddy's......BBQ with a big side of smoking hot waitress.

I saw Tony Romo in there. So it must be good

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
No offense to the babb's but it's sub par BBQ to say the least.

Hard 8 is pretty damn good. Steak houses: bobs or del friscos. Mexican: the places are endless.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Hard 8 bbq is the ****.

It's in Carroltown, Coppell area, but worth the 15 minute drive from where you are staying.

Source: me, just moved back to Iowa after living in Coppell for 2 years.

I miss the Tex-mex food in Dallas........................

Dammn... gonna have to track down Hard 8. Been here 7 years and have never HEARD of it mentioned as a top BBQ joint.

To the OP, you might check out a Gloria's if you're near one too. There are several, and they're all very good if you're into El Salvadoran/TexMex.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Dammn... gonna have to track down Hard 8. Been here 7 years and have never HEARD of it mentioned as a top BBQ joint.

To the OP, you might check out a Gloria's if you're near one too. There are several, and they're all very good if you're into El Salvadoran/TexMex.

Im gonna have to try that out too.

To the OP, there is no shortage of restaurants in DFW. A good Mexican place in FW is Joe T. Garcias. Expect a little wait as they are always busy, but it's delicious. They serve it family style and only have like 4 things on the menu.

As as I said earlier, if you want a unique experience, go East a little to Deep Ellum. I live a mile or two from there and they have some cool restaurants.

ZombieCyclone

Sep 4, 2010
Deep Ellum is a good spot to hit up a concert now and then. I don't know if I'd recommend eating there. Good pubs, but can be kinda rough at times (I was threatened walking down the street by a couple of mexicans for no reason, maybe they were mad I was with a hot mexican chick on a date). Also You'll have to pay for parking. It's a music scene really, not a dining area.

Uptown has some spots, but it's the rich SMU crowds stomping grounds.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron