In state recruiting for 2015 class

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
So looking at the crop of talent in state for the 2015 class, 3 of the top 4 rated in-state recruits (via Rivals) are offensive lineman.

1) ATH Drew Cook, 6'4'', 205 lbs Iowa City - Regina (ESPN top 300 4 star, grade=80, Rivals 5.4 two start) IOWA COMMIT
2) OL OL Bryce Meeker, 6'4'', 289 lbs Cedar Rapids - Prairie High School (ESPN 3 star, Rivals 5.6 rated 3 star) NO OFFER
3) OL Landan Paulsen, 6'6'', 267 lbs Moville - Woodbury Central (ESPN 3 star, grade = 75, Rivals 5.6 rated 3 star) IOWA COMMIT
4) OL Levi Paulsen, 6'6'', 250 lbs Moville - Woodbury Central (ESPN 3 star, grade = 76, Rivals 5.6 rated 3 star) IOWA COMMIT
5) OL Jacob Newborg, 6'2'', 271 lbs, Inwood - West Lyon (ESPN 3 star, Rivals 5.4 rated 3 star) IOWA COMMIT
6) QB Ryan Boyle, 6'1'', 205 lbs, DM - Dowling (ESPN 3 star grade = 75, Rivals 5.4 rated 2 star) IOWA COMMIT
7) RB Devon Paye, 6'0'', 215 lbs, Western CC (5.5 rated 3 star) NO OFFER
8) ATH Seth Nerness , 6'4'', 225lbs Murray (Rivals 5.4 rated 2 star) ISU OFFER

Would love to land Meeker and the Paulsen twins. Corn-fed midwest kids that can anchor a line. Not sure how good Broyle is....anybody seen him play in person?

EDIT: Updated 3/27/14. The Paulsen twins, Newborg and Boyle have committed to Iowa. Meeker doesn't have an Iowa State offer yet. Don't know much about Paye yet.

EDIT: Updated 4/22/14. Looks like the only in-state kid with an ISU offer is Nerness. Wonder if we jump in on Meeker and Paye later on. The rest are Iowa bound.

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
So looking at the crop of talent in state for the 2015 class, 3 of the top 4 rated in-state recruits (via Rivals) are offensive lineman.

1) OL Bryce Meeker, 6'4'', 289 lbs Cedar Rapids - Prairie High School (5.6 rated 3 star)
2) OL Landan Paulsen, 6'6'', 267 lbs Moville - Woodbury Central (5.6 rated 3 star)
3) OL Levi Paulsen, 6'6'', 250 lbs Moville - Woodbury Central (5.6 rated 3 star)
4) RB Devon Paye, 6'0'', 215 lbs, Western CC (5.5 rated 3 star)
5) OL Jacob Newborg, 6'2'', 271 lbs, Inwood - West Lyon (5.5 rated 3 star, committed to Iowa)
6) QB Ryan Broyle, 6'1'', 205 lbs, DM - Dowling (5.4 rated 3 star)

Would love to land Meeker and the Paulsen twins. Corn-fed midwest kids that can anchor a line. Not sure how good Broyle is....anybody seen him play in person?

The Paulsens are most likely goin to Iowa. And it appears Meeker has is an Iowa lean as well.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
I have heard the Paulsen's are Hawk fans. I thought Boyle looked outstanding in the state championship game against a pretty good defense. His passing looked much more polished than Lanning's did the year before.

NEIACyclone

Oct 25, 2012
I know its an age old argument and every side has their valid reasons I'd like to see ISU ramp up their pursuit of Iowa kids , not saying we don't land our share or in the last 2 yrs the best in the state...but IMO most kids r Iowa first then ISU , I want that stigma/mindset to cchange... hope my pt was made without opening another argument

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
Paulsens, Newborg, and Meeker are all likely to be Hawks. Boyle had an interview the other day and it sounds like hes waiting for the Iowa offer, didnt get the vibe if he was a lean however.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Paulsens, Newborg, and Meeker are all likely to be Hawks. Boyle had an interview the other day and it sounds like hes waiting for the Iowa offer, didnt get the vibe if he was a lean however.

Iowa already has a 4-star QB in next year's class, so not sure Boyle headed there. Not sure how he is going to project. Do know the family well and know that his first love is Georgia-family lived in Atlanta area when he was growing up. Again, no idea if he is SEC material or not. He is an incredible talent.

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
Iowa already has a 4-star QB in next year's class, so not sure Boyle headed there. Not sure how he is going to project. Do know the family well and know that his first love is Georgia-family lived in Atlanta area when he was growing up. Again, no idea if he is SEC material or not. He is an incredible talent.
Spot on. He doesnt know if they want a 2 QB class. If he was willing to play somewhere else they'd look, but I dont see him being a hawkeye otherwise.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
One thing I did notice though, didn't see any of these kids with an ISU offer yet. Not sure if thats accurate of Rivals is just behind on their actual offers.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
That class is terrible. High schools in Texas have more D1 prospects than the entire state of Iowa.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I know first-hand that Paulsen boys would be very interested in ISU if offered, but as of now we haven't, and Iowa has. Their dad is ISU grad.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Not a scholarship guy, but a guy getting interest that could end up being a contributer at either in state school is DE Max Morris at Dowling. 6'2 230. Believe he is what one would classify as "high motor"
JUNIOR YEAR

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Not any big names at the top this year, nobody near the level of RP, Lazard, or Campos. Add in the number of the guys listed above that are known Hawk fans and I don't look for a big push in-state this season.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Agreed. Wouldn't surprise me if no in state skill guys get offers this year. Not sure that has ever happened

Unless Boyle gets injured or for some reason gets worse his senior year, I can't imagine he won't get offers from some good bcs schools.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
They are all yours, according to some this could be the weakest class in a long time in Iowa. Most of the guys will only have Iowa and Iowa state offers.