Streaming Video - Netflix or Hulu?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Wife and I are thinking about signing up for a streaming video service. Price is basically the same...anyone with strong feelings/recommendation either way? What are the differences?

Thanks!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
depends on what you're into. For current TV shows, Hulu is the way to go.

For older TV shows and movies, go Netflix.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Amazon Prime. Similar selection to Netlflix but you can also rent new movies on there. Plus anything you buy on amazon will have free shipping I believe.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
It would depend on the content you're looking for.

Basically, Hulu will give you TV shows the day after they air and you can watch the most recent season. Netflix will give you some old seasons of TV shows. Netflix also has a much larger library of movies.

In my opinion, Netflix is worth a lot more. But if you watch a lot of TV and don't have a video recorder for when you miss shows, Hulu may be worth it for you.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
If you do much online shopping, consider amazon prime. Their online content that's included with it is pretty sizable and you get the additional benefits of everything else that comes with "prime" service.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Amazon Prime. Similar selection to Netlflix but you can also rent new movies on there. Plus anything you buy on amazon will have free shipping I believe.

This is the only service we use as well. Other benefits of Prime such as Free 2 day shipping is awesome!

I find the selection of TV shows and and movies pretty good, but I've never used one of the other services and still have cable. It seems however that they have most tv series, just not the most current season, but they get added pretty quickly once the newer season starts. (basically always a season behind).

Last edited:

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think Prime is a good choice too, the free shipping is a really nice perk that would pay for itself after not too many purchases. I think the content between Prime and Netflix is probably fairly comparable.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Im going to try to support Netflix as much as I can. While I love competition, I want Hulu to die. I would be perfectly happy with Amazon and Netflix running the show.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Deal-breaker?

No, I wouldnt say that. I just think Netflix has a more polished interface.

Amazon does seem to have more exclusives, Justified, Downton Abbey, etc than Netflix.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
depends on what you're into. For current TV shows, Hulu is the way to go.

For older TV shows and movies, go Netflix.

Yeah, we have both because they are pretty different. Hulu doesn't have more than a season or so of shows usually, but it'll be stuff as recent as last night. Netflix has older stuff.

The problem with Hulu is that you're paying for Prime, but you still have freaking commercials. Sort of annoying. BUT, they also have some original content, from what I understand.

Amazon Prime is good for movies and some shows.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Netflix was one of the bigger disappointments for me. Shocked at the limited movie selection.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Netflix was one of the bigger disappointments for me. Shocked at the limited movie selection.

Yeah, seems like you have to get the DVDs to get the really new movies, or else wait a fair amount of time for them on streaming.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron