Referee John Higgins

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Hoiberg's coaching record since he came to ISU is 77-42

Hoiberg's coaching record when John Higgins is officiating is 8-13. The 8 wins include Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Drake (twice), UNI, Southern U, Iowa, and this year's Michigan game.

I have too much time on my hands today and I'm still a little upset about last night so I don't even know what this information means.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Nothing.

Higgins is overall the best official in the country. He's got an ego, but he wouldn't do the games he does if coaches didn't want him there.

He's literally the best.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
Dear lord, dumb thread is dumb. On a lighter note, follow @JohnHigginsHair on Twitter.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I think this is probably more a reflection on the fact that they put Higgins on the "big" games than anything.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I think this is probably more a reflection on the fact that they put Higgins on the "big" games than anything.

Exactly. He referees the big games, where we probably have about the record/winning percentage as you indicated in games he refs. You don't get picked for Final 4's by having a bias. Dumb post. Watching the game last night and sort of following the game thread, I had to chuckle at the number of referee references. Look back at it-It is about 1/3 of the posts. I stopped following the posts because it was taking away from the game for me. Sit back, watch the game without a chip on your shoulder some time. Much more enjoyable. We played great and came up short. Definitely didn't like the flagrant, but other than that, the game played out as it should have.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Exactly. He referees the big games, where we probably have about the record/winning percentage as you indicated in games he refs. You don't get picked for Final 4's by having a bias. Dumb post. Watching the game last night and sort of following the game thread, I had to chuckle at the number of referee references. Look back at it-It is about 1/3 of the posts. I stopped following the posts because it was taking away from the game for me. Sit back, watch the game without a chip on your shoulder some time. Much more enjoyable. We played great and came up short. Definitely didn't like the flagrant, but other than that, the game played out as it should have.

I agree with most of this, but not all of it. Reffing in the final four does not mean you are a good referee.

Exhibit A:

52b77d4587d28.preview-620.jpg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Higgins is an idiot but take him out of there and you insert X different poor official and the record is probably the same.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I heard that John Higgins can't do Iowa games anymore? Is this true? I know some Iowa fans left threatening emails/messages on his company phone.

Does he own a siding/window company in Omaha?

Last edited:

SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I remember playing high school basketball in SW Iowa back in the late 1980's when that handsome haired devil would be one of our refs. Always thought he was pretty fair and even-keeled.

tivo2224

Oct 19, 2009
Norwalk
Kane's block last night was a bad call. I dont know who called it a foul and I'm definitely not blaming the loss on the refs but that was a legit block.

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
Kane's foul was a blaock and technically, Embiid fouled Niang with that big hook he did to get around him on that play. But, I have yet to see that called this year on anyone.

2ndCyCE

Dec 21, 2011
Tulsa
Don't forget the Niang travel under the rim called from the ref in a position outside the arc rather than the official looking right at the play from the baseline.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Don't forget the Niang travel under the rim called from the ref in a position outside the arc rather than the official looking right at the play from the baseline.
Admittedly, I didn't see the play (still haven't watched game replay) so I can't tell you if it was a bad call or not, but you have to understand that sometimes things that don't make sense are actually mechanically correct. On a post play the trail official has responsibility to watch feet while the lead (baseline) official has responsibility to watch for contact. Often times it is difficult for the lead official to watch for both contact and feet, especially when the play is right in front of him because the feet will be in peripheral vision.

Again, not saying it was the correct call, but the fact that it came from the trail official doesn't make it wrong.