Here we go...

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
To be fair, I'm pretty sure their basketball team has been on strike all year.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
No real surprise here. First, Chicago is a huge union town and secondly, Northwestern players are currently by far the worst paid in the Big 10.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Cue Jamie Pollard to make an embarassing comment that goes national on this subject.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
The steelworkers are a very corrupt organization. No surprise they have their hands in this.

I hate the statement that athletes aren't given the opportunity to get a proper education. That is the players choice. I was on scholarship for football and knew I had a great opportunity and took advantage of it and got a great education and degree with no student debt. I also had more access to tutors than the general population. The ones that screw up that chance do it on their own. The big difference is those of us that took advantage of that opportunity are doing fine in life professionally and financially and not crying we are victims. It all boils down to the desire of the player to get an education.

Reactions: JBone84

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This only works for students at private institutions. It will be interesting to see how this goes for them as I'm guessing schools like Notre Dame will be very interested in the outcome.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
The end of college athletics will not be players having a union, it is crazy tv contracts, coaches salaries, and bowing too the almighty networks and dollar.

heaven forbid the players actually performing get treated fairly

Last edited:

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Interesting... Between this and the O'Bannon suit, we might see some huge changes in college athletics. Not necessarily for the better.

The blame for this rests squarely on the universities and the NCAA (which is organized by the universities). When you are clearly about the money, don't be surprised when others make it about money too.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The end of college athletics will not be players having a union, it is crazy tv contracts, coaches salaries, and bowing too the almighty networks and dollar.

They are treated fairly. Free education, free housing, free meals, etc. No one is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to play sports under these terrible conditions.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

I produce hundreds of thousands of dollars of income for my boss each year. I get paid a fraction of that. Welcome to the real world, athletes.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
If they feel like they are being taken advantage of for playing a sport by their respective University, don't play. It is as simple as that.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I don't think this is about money, as it is with the NCAA. A coach gets paid 7 million a year and you wanna argue free meals as fair?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
This only works for students at private institutions. It will be interesting to see how this goes for them as I'm guessing schools like Notre Dame will be very interested in the outcome.

Let's pretend this made it through. I would imagine it would put private schools at a big disadvantage. Trying to think through a list of major private schools.

BCS-level private schools (yes, I know the BCS is dead)...
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Stanford
Miami (Fla)
Boston College
Vanderbilt
Duke
USC

Others??

Edit: Forgot TCU and Baylor in our own conference!

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Let's pretend this made it through. I would imagine it would put private schools at a big disadvantage. Trying to think through a list of major private schools.

BCS-level private schools (yes, I know the BCS is dead)...
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Stanford
Miami (Fla)
Boston College
Vanderbilt
Duke
USC

Others??

Edit: Forgot TCU and Baylor in our own conference!

Add Syracuse and Wake Forest.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I don't think this is about money, as it is with the NCAA. A coach gets paid 7 million a year and you wanna argue free meals as fair?

Yes I do. I didn't care how much Coach Mac got paid, I was happy to be playing football and it was a bonus to not have to pay tuition, housing and meals.

My bosses get paid far more than I do and I am busting my butt. It is how things work, either deal with it or quit.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I produce hundreds of thousands of dollars of income for my boss each year. I get paid a fraction of that. Welcome to the real world, athletes.

Awful comparison. Can you negotiate your compensation? If unhappy, can you take your labor to a competing business and potentially receive a more lucrative offer?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Another thing, this is America. These athletes and some investors are free to start their own league where they can pay players whatever they want. I think those players would be surprised to find that their value isn't as high when the schools name isn't on the front of the jersey.