Why was school delayed today in central Iowa???

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I didn't think it was that bad in Ankeny. I can understand schools north and east of here cancelling, but we didn't get any snow and the wind died down considerably before dawn.

I know Des Moines had the sense not to delay or cancel, but what's with all the suburbs delaying? Is this a new fad? Is there not a way to treat school buses to help them run better in cold temps, or was that part of budget cuts?

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
From my understanding, when its this cold, they worry about being able to start the buses. A 2 hr delay gives them time to get them started in case they wont start.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I didn't think it was that bad in Ankeny. I can understand schools north and east of here cancelling, but we didn't get any snow and the wind died down considerably before dawn.

I know Des Moines had the sense not to delay or cancel, but what's with all the suburbs delaying? Is this a new fad? Is there not a way to treat school buses to help them run better in cold temps, or was that part of budget cuts?

My guess why

Mom says her son was dropped at wrong bus stop | Local News - KCCI Home

Don't want to have that happen in sub-zero temps.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Wind chill nearing -30, kids also walk to school.

Yeah...two hours isn't going to change that this morning. More about the buses which is a bit bush league IMO. Just get your butts to the bus barn earlier and work to get them started to school can start on time.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yeah...two hours isn't going to change that this morning. More about the buses which is a bit bush league IMO. Just get your butts to the bus barn earlier and work to get them started to school can start on time.
Right, which is why I wonder if it was too cold for school at 8 why is it not too cold at 10. It probably only warmed up a few degrees in that time.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
When I was a kid we walked to school in weather like, and it was uphill...both ways...it was a blizzard...and we LIKED IT.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Do you want to pay more in taxes duebto the overtime you would have to pay the maintenance workers to come in earlier? It is all cost benefit. Add in the liability issues if something goes wrong or a kid doesn't get picked up or whatever. Sucks to make that call but sometimes you just have to make it.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I believe the main reason is so kids are not waiting in the cold (wind chill) for buses, but as has been noted it is not much warmer at 9:05 as it was at 7:05 (time bus was to pick-up kids. IMO one of the issues is, when I was in school if there was a problem, the parents did not call the TV stations to complain or threaten to sue the school. Today it is much different.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
My son does the before school program at Urbandale schools and they even have the balls to start 2 hours late on these days. I think it's BS for the schools, but I guess I can vaguely see the bus argument. But the before school program doesn't rely on buses. So basically they are just saying their staff is too lazy to get up in the morning to make it to work on a cold day. Meanwhile, because I'm a responsible adult and want to be to work on time, I have to find some work around. Really getting annoyed with the late starts this year.

CyFamilyMom

Dec 14, 2013
I went to school in North Central Iowa in the 80s/90s. We ALWAYS cancelled/delayed when weather was cruddy like this. I don't know where some of you went to school, but I don't think it is any different than it was back then.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

It wasn't that Des Moines had the sense not to delay, they don't really have the option to delay. Plenty of kids use city buses to get to school, and you can't delay school because then the city bus schedule won't line up. I'm assuming that's why Des Moines canceled school last week when all the suburb schools started two hours later.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I went to school in North Central Iowa in the 80s/90s. We ALWAYS cancelled/delayed when weather was cruddy like this. I don't know where some of you went to school, but I don't think it is any different than it was back then.
I can't remember school being cancelled or delayed nearly this much, and I went to school the same time frame as you in Western IA.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I will date myself, I went to school in the 50's & 60's in southern, central, north central and northestern Iowa and we did not go late due to cold weather. But as I noted people are much more complain/sue happy today.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I believe the main reason is so kids are not waiting in the cold (wind chill) for buses, but as has been noted it is not much warmer at 9:05 as it was at 7:05 (time bus was to pick-up kids. IMO one of the issues is, when I was in school if there was a problem, the parents did not call the TV stations to complain or threaten to sue the school. Today it is much different.

Standing in the dark is not as cool as standing in the light. Just bounce school starts to a later time and get off school at 430.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
All of this will be a moot point next year when schools are hourly anyway. Chances are you will see more cancellations to make up a whole day, instead of making up 2 hours.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron