cy's house of trivia 2014

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I've never done this before. Is it all Cyclones related questions or general trivia?

I'm really good at random trivia (too much Discovery/Science Channel) and want to do it this year. If anyone wants to do a team I'd be up for it.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
Your best bet would probably be if someone is a person short and getting added onto a team that way. Priority goes to people who have had tables the past three years, then there's a waiting list. It sells out fast.

It's all random trivia- past categories have included movies, pop culture, music, history, geography, Iowa State, books, etc... it's a great time, we've had a table every year since the very beginning and plan on going every year they continue to have the event.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Definitely a lot of fun! They added a handful of new tables last year to try and accommodate more people who wanted to participate. There was still a waiting list, I believe. I don't remember if they used to do a "free agent" type thing where solo people could be put on a list and if teams needed an extra person, they could be contacted. I might be thinking of something different entirely, but it's worth an inquiry when registration for it starts.

We have participated every year so far as well. It wouldn't be spring for our group without Cy's House!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I had a blast last year. I thought I knew trivia, but found myself clueless on a lot of it. Maybe I was more into the beer/food though!

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I haven't done trivia in quite a long time (before smartphones).

We were at a bar in Chicago a month ago, and they just happened to have trivia that night. Every single team was looking up answers on their smart phones. How is this stopped for an event like this? I've always been interested in Trivia, but smartphones take all the fun out of it.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011

We were at a bar in Chicago a month ago, and they just happened to have trivia that night. Every single team was looking up answers on their smart phones. How is this stopped for an event like this? I've always been interested in Trivia, but smartphones take all the fun out of it.

They make you put your phone in a fish bowl before the event starts

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
They make you put your phone in a fish bowl before the event starts

I thought you were a pro at this? You still keep it in your pocket so you can drink beer outta the fish bowl!!! That is DAY ONE STUFF!

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I was at a bar in LA on ventura which I guess is famous for it's trivia, my friends walked in unknowingly and found out if we didnt play we would lose our table. Anyway, one question i didnt know outa the first 3 I whipped out the ol cell phone and you would have thought I murdered the waitress. Place came to a screeching hault.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I was at a bar in LA on ventura which I guess is famous for it's trivia, my friends walked in unknowingly and found out if we didnt play we would lose our table. Anyway, one question i didnt know outa the first 3 I whipped out the ol cell phone and you would have thought I murdered the waitress. Place came to a screeching hault.
Stop being a ******* cheater.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

There are supposed to be people walking around making sure people are not cheating with their phones. I'm sure it still happens and I know it did before they changed the rules when it became clear that people couldn't be trusted to police themselves. In theory, it is 100% smartphone free, which makes it a fair and level playing field.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I so want to be apart of this. I saw on cyclones.com there is a lottery but you have to enter as a group of 8 and I'm just a single.

If anyone knows of a need for a replacement, random useless trivia is right up my wheel house.