***2014 Bracketolgy***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Bracketology - NCAA College Basketball Brackets and Predictions - ESPNLunardi has us at a 3 seed. And I love the teams we are paired with. I'm not scared of Memphis, Tennessee, or the 7, 10, and 2 seed.The Bracket Project's Bracket Matrix - 2014Bracket Matrix, aggregate bracket site, has us average 3.46. All of the brackets that updated Monday have us at a 3 or 4 with one 5 seed.Post any others that you find interesting.
Villanova is a very good team and can give peeple fits. They play very tough defense. Ignore the ridiculous 3 point explosion that Creighton laid on them the other day, Nova is very good. I think it's crazy Lunardi moved Kentucky up to a #2 seed, that Mizzou is still in the bracket AT ALL and that Kansas jumped all the way to a #1 seed over teams like Wichita State, SDSU and Florida. Surprising.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Lunardi's bracket seems fairly realistic. I could micro-nitpick at least one thing: He needed to flip UC Irvine w/ Georgia State. GSU as 14 is much closer to site than the 3; UCI & San Diego State are roughly same distance to site. Not a major issue, but it's avoidable.

Then again, I think I'd rather face Georgia State than Irvine, so it'd be OK. :smile:

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Villanova is a very good team and can give peeple fits. They play very tough defense. Ignore the ridiculous 3 point explosion that Creighton laid on them the other day, Nova is very good. I think it's crazy Lunardi moved Kentucky up to a #2 seed, that Mizzou is still in the bracket AT ALL and that Kansas jumped all the way to a #1 seed over teams like Wichita State, SDSU and Florida. Surprising.

But they play relatively small ball like us. That is why I don't fear them as much as a team that might have athletic bigs like Kansas.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
7 out of 10 Big XII schools in the bracket...we are the toughest conference on the board at this point. Gonna be a slugfest to get through conf season (as we are already seeing).

Go Cyclones!

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
7 out of 10 Big XII schools in the bracket...we are the toughest conference on the board at this point. Gonna be a slugfest to get through conf season (as we are already seeing).

Go Cyclones!

I think 7 schools would set a percentage record.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
I have been watching Memphis all year, cause my roommate is from there. They remind me a lot of ISU. They can beat anybody on any given night, but they can lose to anybody on any given night. They have a good front court, and have ability to light it up from 3 point line, BUT it's probably the best bracket we could hope for. I'd love to see us in a region with those teams- maybe a little closer to home, though!

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I have been watching Memphis all year, cause my roommate is from there. They remind me a lot of ISU. They can beat anybody on any given night, but they can lose to anybody on any given night. They have a good front court, and have ability to light it up from 3 point line, BUT it's probably the best bracket we could hope for. I'd love to see us in a region with those teams- maybe a little closer to home, though!
ISU isn't going to get closer to home than that. The pods in St. Louis will go to Kansas and Wichita State, the pods in Milwaukee will go to Michigan State and whatever other Big 10 team is a Top 4 seed and the pods in San Antonio will go to Oklahoma State and Creighton (if they keep a Top 3/4 seed). If ISU pulls up to a #2 seed they could get into San Antonio ahead of Okie State or Creighton but that's not much closer than Raleigh. In general, the sites suck this year. Bring back Kansas City or Omaha!

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009
ISU isn't going to get closer to home than that. The pods in St. Louis will go to Kansas and Wichita State, the pods in Milwaukee will go to Michigan State and whatever other Big 10 team is a Top 4 seed and the pods in San Antonio will go to Oklahoma State and Creighton (if they keep a Top 3/4 seed). If ISU pulls up to a #2 seed they could get into San Antonio ahead of Okie State or Creighton but that's not much closer than Raleigh. In general, the sites suck this year. Bring back Kansas City or Omaha!

Location wise if you are an ISU or Iowa fan, St. Louis or Milwaukee would be ideal. I am hoping Iowa gets placed in San Antonio. Hell I might even go to SA if ISU gets placed there. There is not a better place to hang out with a bunch of fans from your favorite team than the Riverwalk.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
With all the gloom and doom on this site it's a refreshing reminder that we are still slotted as a top 4 seed.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
I guess it's possible with the pod system that we have for the bracket and 2 pods have to play at each site. But find it hard to believe that the committee would let ISU stay in Raleigh as a 3 seed and for Duke as a 4 seed to go out to San Diego.

I thought the point of the pod system was to allow the top 4 seeds in each region to stay relatively close to home given the sites of the second/third rounds?

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
With all the gloom and doom on this site it's a refreshing reminder that we are still slotted as a top 4 seed.

Exactly. I would venture to guess that the same posters going crazy and melting down would have jumped at the chance to be a three seed at this point in the season! It's awesome. I will be ecstatic if ISU can hold the line and maintain a three seed here on out. I think it will require them to go about 12 - 6 in the conference though, maybe 11 - 7 with a Championship Big XII Tourney run.

My guess is that we'll finish 11 - 7 with a 4 or 5 seed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Exactly. I would venture to guess that the same posters going crazy and melting down would have jumped at the chance to be a three seed at this point in the season! It's awesome. I will be ecstatic if ISU can hold the line and maintain a three seed here on out. I think it will require them to go about 12 - 6 in the conference though, maybe 11 - 7 with a Championship Big XII Tourney run.

My guess is that we'll finish 11 - 7 with a 4 or 5 seed.

At the beginning of the season I would have taken this in a heartbeat. A well coached team can make a lot of noise with a 4 or 5 seed.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I thought the point of the pod system was to allow the top 4 seeds in each region to stay relatively close to home given the sites of the second/third rounds?

It is, although it doesn't always work exactly like that, although 1 & 2 seeds are almost always "protected" -- it can get a hazier at 3-4.

I hadn't even noticed Duke's placement. ... I'd be more willing ISU got shipped to San Diego w/ Duke in Raleigh, but then again seeding would take precedence better w/ Lunardi's.

There'll be some unnatural situations in this tournament, having two west-coast pods and not a huge collection of high-seed potential in westerly leagues (at this point, anyway).

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013

Go Cyclones!
Love when Hawkeye fans say the B1G is tougher. Um.... We'll gladly play against Purdue, Nebraska, Penn State, and Northwestern. Plus Kansas State and Oklahoma are much stronger than Illinois and Minnesota. ***** please.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I guess it's possible with the pod system that we have for the bracket and 2 pods have to play at each site. But find it hard to believe that the committee would let ISU stay in Raleigh as a 3 seed and for Duke as a 4 seed to go out to San Diego.

It is, but it starts with the #1 seeds and works down from there. Every pod has a #1, #2, #3 or #4 seed in it. First choice of closest pods goes to the #1 seeds then down the line. #4 seeds get whatever is left.

#1 Arizona to San Diego then
#1 Syracuse to Buffalo then
#1 Michigan St. to Milwaukee then
#1 Kansas to St Louis then
#2 Wichita St. to St Louis (St Louis pod now full) then
#2 Florida to Orlando then
#2 Nova to Buffalo (Buffalo now full) then
#2 Kentucky (ridiculous) to Raleigh then
#3 San Diego State to Spokane (cannot play in San Diego because it is at their home arena) then
#3 Okie State to San Antonio (San Antonio now full) then
#3 Wisconsin to Milwaukee (Milwaukee now full) then
#3 Iowa State to Raleigh (closest of remaining Raleigh, Spokane, San Diego, San Antonio or Orlando)
#4 Creighton to San Antonio
#4 Iowa to Spokane
#4 Duke to San Diego
#4 Michigan to Orlando

With the #4 seeds, they pretty much get shoved wherever. IF there is a reasonably close choice (Creighton to SA) they'll take it, but then it's just a shuffling. Duke has nationwide fan base so they get sent West. Iowa/Michigan? Coin flip. Iowa slightly west of Michigan so send them west, I suppose.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Love when Hawkeye fans say the B1G is tougher. Um.... We'll gladly play against Purdue, Nebraska, Penn State, and Northwestern. Plus Kansas State and Oklahoma are much stronger than Illinois and Minnesota. ***** please.

No kidding. We are looking at 70% of the conference making the tourney. Big Ten looking at 6 of 14 teams (43%) although Minnesota might slide in there. Big 12 tourney teams are guaranteed to play 12 games against other tourney teams. Big Ten teams could end up with only 8-10 with their unbalanced schedules.