Why Don't Iowa High Schools Have Spring Football?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This is something I have wondered since moving here before my senior year of High School. In Florida they have a short spring Football just after baseball, the last couple weeks of school, followed by a jamboree where 4 local schools get together and play a quarter against each other. Since Iowa has Baseball in the summer it seems like it would be easy to have a short spring football session followed by a jamboree... Just something to think about...

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i know alot of schools do workouts.. but really i think what it comes down too is the weather and the fact that there are alot of kids that play football and baseball or soccer... and football just isnt as "big" in iowa as it is in some other states

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Good question and idea. I think it would help with player development and exposure.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Isn't that what track is for?

Really. I HATED track. I went out because it was a suggestion by the football coaches that happened to be the track coaches. We stayed in shape and worked on a few things.
I know the faster guys actually practiced like they should. After I threw discuss for awhile I'd go to the field and practice long snaps. I wasn't the only one working on things in the spring.

Plus, track was a nice way to get guys eligible for football if they'd been caught drinking during the winter.

cgwarrior33

Mar 27, 2006
Norwalk, Iowa
The reason is schools have enough trouble filling the Spring sports anyways. Its why you don't see spring baseball. Most of the schools....3A included have athletes who are 3 or 4 sports athletes. You would begin to have kids specialize in sports when the schools cannot afford them to. So many 1A schools are already sharing programs so you would put an increasing financial burden on schools that are already struggling.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The reason is schools have enough trouble filling the Spring sports anyways. Its why you don't see spring baseball. Most of the schools....3A included have athletes who are 3 or 4 sports athletes. You would begin to have kids specialize in sports when the schools cannot afford them to. So many 1A schools are already sharing programs so you would put an increasing financial burden on schools that are already struggling.

Spring Football does not interfere with any other sports in most states. It runs after Baseball/Track/Golf/Tennis in Florida. If they can squeeze it in before the end of school then I am sure Iowa can, especially since they have all summer to play baseball...

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007
Isn't that what track is for?

Really. I HATED track. I went out because it was a suggestion by the football coaches that happened to be the track coaches. We stayed in shape and worked on a few things.
I know the faster guys actually practiced like they should. After I threw discuss for awhile I'd go to the field and practice long snaps. I wasn't the only one working on things in the spring.

Plus, track was a nice way to get guys eligible for football if they'd been caught drinking during the winter.

My high school football coaches pretty much told us we were going out for track...

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
Spring Football does not interfere with any other sports in most states. It runs after Baseball/Track/Golf/Tennis in Florida. If they can squeeze it in before the end of school then I am sure Iowa can, especially since they have all summer to play baseball...

I seem to remember track and baseball just about overlapping when I was in high school, so I don't think there's really much time to squeeze anything in. I guess you might have a week or two for some spring football, but it seems like a lot of effort for nothing.

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
In states like florida and texas high school football is there life. it is semi popular here but still nothing like there. like in texas towns shut down and they all go to the game. it would be awsome if hs football was that big here.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I remember practicing football in mid to late October...and hating it. Just hating it. I was in IL for my senior year, and they have spring baseball...and I hated that. Too cold.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com

Doesn't track/golf/tennis end during the last week of school? I remember people missing the last days of school for the state track meet.

Some other things, I know multiple families who allow their kids to be in only 1 sport so they would have more time to help on the farm. If the one sport was football these parents would probably not be up for letting their kids play in the spring too. I doubt this would affect too many people and maybe it has become a thing of the past too.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I remember practicing football in mid to late October...and hating it. Just hating it. I was in IL for my senior year, and they have spring baseball...and I hated that. Too cold.

Oh please - I'm originally from Davenport, where the weather is likely very similar to where you grew up. Complaining about having to practice football in late October? Please - it's called FOOTBALL WEATHER for a reason! I'd much rather practice/play in late October than practice in late July.

As for spring baseball, while I wasn't good enough to make the team, I did go through tryouts. Other than the extra sting in the hands due to hitting with an aluminum bat (and consequently after that my hands stung for a week and I had problems even gripping a baseball after that), the weather was fine.

All I gotta say is this is the Midwest - suck it up, buttercup! :wink:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
There is nothing in the world like playing in a playoff game on concrete hard frozen turf, when the ball, on punts, just disappears into the swirling snow. And for the receiving team, it just BAM appears suddenly out of the snowstorm.

And when you hit the ground, it is like someone driving needles through your skin, especially your knees and elbows.

Damn, now THAT is real football....

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There is nothing in the world like playing in a playoff game on concrete hard frozen turf, when the ball, on punts, just disappears into the swirling snow. And for the receiving team, it just BAM appears suddenly out of the snowstorm.

And when you hit the ground, it is like someone driving needles through your skin, especially your knees and elbows.

Damn, now THAT is real football....

Playing football in the snow is the best. Some of my best football memories are late night games in the Old RCA courtyard. It's too bad I never got to experience a HS game in the snow, though...

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Oddly enough, my left knee starting popping on me starting on Tuesday, and giving me some serious pain. Just reminding me of a certain game against Floyd Valley, in a snowstorm, that's all....