Roger Goodell wants to end the PAT

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
meh. First off, it isn't very likely to happen. Second, Oh no! Replace one of the most boring plays in the game with something more exciting? How could he even suggest it!?!

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
What the hell is wrong with the NFL the way it is??

NO we don't want a European team.

NO we don't want a superbowl in London

NO we don't need more games

NO we don't need to change the scoring

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not sure if I'm for or against something like that, but if you were creating a new sport and one of the rules you came up with was an act that was going to be converted successfully 99.7% of the time anyways and is basically never exciting or interesting you might consider not adding it at all.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What the hell is wrong with the NFL the way it is??

NO we don't want a European team.

NO we don't want a superbowl in London

NO we don't need more games

NO we don't need to change the scoring

The money says "yes we do."

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm not sure if I'm for or against something like that, but if you were creating a new sport and one of the rules you came up with was an act that was going to be converted successfully 99.7% of the time anyways and is basically never exciting or interesting you might consider not adding it at all.

This. Goodell has done some dumb things and has earned his haters, but I don't think this is the hill that they want to take their stand on.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Eh, just the first step in reversing the No Fun League by implementing NFL Blitz rules. Next we will be moving first downs to 30 yards, getting rid of taunting penalties, and allowing WWE style late hits. I can't wait!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
meh. First off, it isn't very likely to happen. Second, Oh no! Replace one of the most boring plays in the game with something more exciting? How could he even suggest it!?!

Is it broke? No - but then again when has that ever stopped Goodell from trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed?

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Eh, just the first step in reversing the No Fun League by implementing NFL Blitz rules. Next we will be moving first downs to 30 yards, getting rid of taunting penalties, and allowing WWE style late hits. I can't wait!
Also encouraged steroid use.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Is it broke? No - but then again when has that ever stopped Goodell from trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed?

Look at the NFL's ratings and income. He seems to be doing a good job of fixing something that isn't broken.

Also, it's business, show me a company that takes an "if it's not broke don't fix it," approach, and I'll show you a stagnant company.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Except that .3% have cost teams playoff games. I believe the Atlanta Falcons were eliminated from playoff contention one year because they missed an XP that would have tied the game.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
He's already made it a penalty to tackle too hard.

The next step is participation ribbons and group hugs

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'd love to see the end of the PAT in the NFL because it's boring, and also because it would hopefully go away at the college level as well. Which would reduce the stress in my life by about half.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
"The extra point is almost automatic," ... Has he ever watched ISU in the past decade?

The NFL conversion rate this year on extra points was 99.6%.

I love this idea and hope that it happens. The PAT is a waste of time. And the proposal would allow teams to "risk" that 7th free point for a chance to get an 8th point - basically keeping the two point conversion - which means that nothing about the game would really change at all.

JackDog

Aug 31, 2012
Washington
I definitely in the "not broke dont fix it crowd" however, if you read the comments, I think it would be hilarious if the player who scored the touchdown had to kick the extra point!

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Except that .3% have cost teams playoff games. I believe the Atlanta Falcons were eliminated from playoff contention one year because they missed an XP that would have tied the game.
I don't know if the fact that a small percentage of the .3% of extra points that are missed are meaningful is a good argument necessarily. Like I say, I don't know if I'd be for or against it, but if they went away I wouldn't care in the slightest.