Recruits who've flipped from ISU

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I never really keep up with recruits who we had and lost or were close to going with ISU and chose someone else. Does anyone know of any recruits that flipped or went down to the wire and chose someone else who really turned out to be a stud?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Johnny Manziel had us in his top 3. That being said, lets keep it to verbal commits. That is more interesting. Here are a few that havn't panned out.

1. Barkley Hill (suck it dude)
2. The D-End that went to Nebraska and got booted
3. Sedrick Johnson, my bad, aTm is thanking god he switched to us :)

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Gale Sayers actually signed a letter of intent to Iowa State. It was one of 17 that he signed before ending up at Kansas. The LOI's were not as binding back in the 60's, but Iowa State was one of the schools that he seriously considered attending. Sayers himself later admitted in an interview as to what sold him on Kansas. They agreed to replace the bald tires on the clunker of a car that he was driving while Iowa State and others didn't fork over the 100 bucks or so that tires cost back in the mid sixties.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
It's interesting to hear that possibly the 2 best backs in history, Sayers and Sanders were at least a possibility at ISU.

I haven't seen anyone in recent history, say the post rivals era, that went somewhere else and became anything special. Might be something about people who flip not having the level of dedication and commitment needed to succeed at the D1 level. I just find it interesting that we can't find one that flipped to us or flipped from us that has been overly successful. Yet we have plenty of people who stuck with their commitments and have been great players, NFL players.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Josh Bellamy decommitted and went to Louisville. He's in the NFL in one form or another.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Johnny Manziel had us in his top 3. That being said, lets keep it to verbal commits. That is more interesting. Here are a few that havn't panned out.

1. Barkley Hill (suck it dude)
2. The D-End that went to Nebraska and got booted
3. Sedrick Johnson, my bad, aTm is thanking god he switched to us :)

#2 is Ernest Suttles. He's at Memphis now.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Brisly Estime who decommitted because he didn't want to red shirt is at Syracuse and played as a Freshman.