King Joffrey

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What's the reason he's so messed up, is it because of his incest?

I think that's what we're supposed to infer. Same with Aerys Targaryen, the "Mad King" and probably Viserys.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Lol, I forgot you are playing catch up on the series..
That is the general concensus along with a "father" that didn't care and a twisted mother. Some people are just crazy. When you look at an old statue of Caligula, it's crazy how much they look alike.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
OK, this thread was started as a joke due to the President Geoffrey thread but since it's actually gathered some attention I supposed we might as well take about GOT. Last night I finished S3E6 - "The Wall" and at the end Joffrey shot up that "lady" with his crossbow. What a little puke I cannot wait until he dies.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Lol, I forgot you are playing catch up on the series..
That is the general concensus along with a "father" that didn't care and a twisted mother. Some people are just crazy. When you look at an old statue of Caligula, it's crazy how much they look alike.

Caligula.jpg King-Joffrey-Cover-portrait.jpg Yep that's pretty creepy.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
OK, this thread was started as a joke due to the President Geoffrey thread but since it's actually gathered some attention I supposed we might as well take about GOT. Last night I finished S3E6 - "The Wall" and at the end Joffrey shot up that "lady" with his crossbow. What a little puke I cannot wait until he dies.

Have you not read the series? I won't spoil it for you, but I'll put it this way, some characters who you wish would die, get what's coming to them and it's very satisfying. Others don't and it's maddening.

On a slightly different note, I'd love to see either a book or a television series that fleshed out the events prior to the first book. The reign of the Mad King, young Tywin Lannister "handling" Castamere, the Defiance of Duskendale, all the way up to Robert's Rebellion. There's tons of good material there for a television series and any number of books.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think it is mostly due to him being a mini Cersei. She has raised him to be her, but male. He is arrogant, cruel and acts out of anger than out of sense like his Mother.

I agree with this. I mean, I don't think inbreeding helps a whole ton, but it's just first generation, not like it's been going on in the Appalachias for a million years or anything. I think he has Cersei's black soul.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Have you not read the series? I won't spoil it for you, but I'll put it this way, some characters who you wish would die, get what's coming to them and it's very satisfying. Others don't and it's maddening.

On a slightly different note, I'd love to see either a book or a television series that fleshed out the events prior to the first book. The reign of the Mad King, young Tywin Lannister "handling" Castamere, the Defiance of Duskendale, all the way up to Robert's Rebellion. There's tons of good material there for a television series and any number of books.

If Martin doesn't get bored with it the prequels could be endless.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If Martin doesn't get bored with it the prequels could be endless.

I'm thinking more along the lines of him not living long enough to write them. Supposedly he's already named a successor for if he happens to pass away before all 7 books are written. If the "torch gets passed" so to speak, I'd hope they went down the prequel path after completing the initial series.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
So you are looking for a diagnosis for a fictional character that lives in a world of flying dragons and white walkers?

I'd say his problem is milk of the poppy abuse.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So you are looking for a diagnosis for a fictional character that lives in a world of flying dragons and white walkers?

I'd say his problem is milk of the poppy abuse.

I think you have greyscale of the wiener. :jimlad:

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I'm thinking more along the lines of him not living long enough to write them. Supposedly he's already named a successor for if he happens to pass away before all 7 books are written. If the "torch gets passed" so to speak, I'd hope they went down the prequel path after completing the initial series.

Interesting. I am willing to bet he already has a lot of ideas, outlines etc. already laid out.

Hopefully, the next guy will work faster..... I am only half kidding there.

royhobbs09

Apr 11, 2006
What's the reason he's so messed up, is it because of his incest?

Due to the incest of the Targaryens this quote appears in the books: "Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land." Seems like the same principle is being applied to Joff. Maybe that means his younger brother or sister will be great (or maybe not).

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Due to the incest of the Targaryens this quote appears in the books: "Madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land." Seems like the same principle is being applied to Joff. Maybe that means his younger brother or sister will be great (or maybe not).

Well, it definitely applied to Daenarys and her brother.

Help Support Us

Become a patron