Any refs out there (or anyone who wants to play ref)?

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
I am a high school basketball coach who had two calls go against my team that I had never seen before. We are playing a team of high fliers tonight and they were trying to set up a back door lob for a dunk. My guy fouled the opponent running up for the lob (tripped him on accident). The refs gave the other team two shots saying the guy who was going up for the lob was in the act of shooting. He never touched the ball. I simply asked how he could be shooting without the ball? The refs conferred and stuck with their call.

About two minutes later, same thing. Ref immediately signaled two shots. He came over and told me he had to be consistent.

Anybody know if this is the right call or not? Seems to be you can't be shooting without the ball.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would think the refs have this wrong because the player fouled was a pass recipient who had not yet "shot" the ball, but I can see where there could be confusion. I would love for one of our resident refs to chime in.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Its the same as we saw with Kane last night. It's in the act of a pass, not a shot. It's a foul, but not worthy of free throws.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Can't be a shooting foul unless in the act of shooting the ball. Can't be in the act of shooting the ball without the ball.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
Was the other team in the bonus? Unless they were in the act of shooting or your team had 7 fouls against them, no free throws should of be awarded.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
You absolutely got jobbed on that one....that is not a 2 shot foul in any book. That would have been worth getting teed up

ISUguy

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Legitimate Girls
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Usa
Was the other team in the bonus? Unless they were in the act of shooting or your team had 7 fouls against them, no free throws should of be awarded.

We had three team fouls, so they were not in the bonus. He explained the cutter was in the act of shooting.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I am a high school basketball coach who had two calls go against my team that I had never seen before. We are playing a team of high fliers tonight and they were trying to set up a back door lob for a dunk. My guy fouled the opponent running up for the lob (tripped him on accident). The refs gave the other team two shots saying the guy who was going up for the lob was in the act of shooting. He never touched the ball. I simply asked how he could be shooting without the ball? The refs conferred and stuck with their call.

About two minutes later, same thing. Ref immediately signaled two shots. He came over and told me he had to be consistent.

Anybody know if this is the right call or not? Seems to be you can't be shooting without the ball.

I'm pretty sure thats the wrong call.

However, they really 'accidentally' tripped the lob guy twice? Almost sounds like you had the play scouted and made sure you had some contact on the lob guy.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Sounds like bogus calls to me. I would contact the IAHSAA & discuss.

I don't see why you'd contact the association, it's been made clear the calls were wrong. Not much to do at this point. If you don't think the refs looked into this in the rules book afterwards then you're probably mistaken.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I don't see why you'd contact the association, it's been made clear the calls were wrong. Not much to do at this point. If you don't think the refs looked into this in the rules book afterwards then you're probably mistaken.

This.. What was the final outcome of the game?

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames

Officials, even at the high school level, shouldn't have to look up a rule this simple.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Officials, even at the high school level, shouldn't have to look up a rule this simple.

You are correct. But how many high school games are there on a random Tuesday night across the state? You're going to run into a few that don't know what they're doing.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
It amazes me how below par high school refereeing is compared to the quality of play. Players, coaches, administrators and competent fans just amused at some of these guys! Not sure much can be done, though. It would cost too much...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron