I Think We Beat KU At Home

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I just have a feeling that ISU is going to take down KU in Allen Fieldhouse on the 29th.

Does anyone else think it will happen?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
No. We don't match up well with them.

We can beat anyone else in any other matchup (maybe not OSU in Stillwater), but we just don't match up well with KU.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
if we figure out the defensive rotations and start shooting the ball better, I agree. Especially if we win the next 2.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Playing a team on their court, is not a home game. But no, I disagree with you. Worst match up for us you could dream up. Especially since we are not a threat from behind the arc.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Could happen. Fred's got roughly 2 weeks to figure out how to beat them. Lost by 7 at home, could translate to a 20-30 point loss at AFH. Especially if we shoot as poorly.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Why? But I would take it.

I know last night wasn't fun for us to watch and there's a lot of improvement to be made...all that stuff as been discussed in other threads already, so I won't reiterate here.

I think three things will factor in:

1. KU arrogance at home.
2. KU keeping us at arms length at Hilton (adding to their arrogance).
3. There's no freaking way we'll ever shoot the ball that poorly again.

We're a damn good team. If we play together and hit our shots we can steal one back. I think we're going to do just that.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011

We can beat anyone else in any other matchup (maybe not OSU in Stillwater), but we just don't match up well with KU.
With Cobbins out, Pokes have no interior defense. I'm not scared.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

ISU could of easily won last night with a good shooting night. ISU struggled on offense, but played a great defensive game.

That being said, I'd be shocked if KU had as many turnovers next time around.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I don't think they'll beat them but I do think we'll be more prepared since Fred now has 3 days to gameplan for them rather than just 1.

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Yes we can't possibly shoot worse.

fify. We absolutely could play worse. I actually thought the D played well for the most part, especially in forcing 24 TOs. We could get half that many TOs next time, and the defensive rotation could be even worse. Gotta make shots, plain and simple. Those that are already calling the season a loss or are looking for the implosion are not looking at the right things.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
I know last night wasn't fun for us to watch and there's a lot of improvement to be made...all that stuff as been discussed in other threads already, so I won't reiterate here.

I think three things will factor in:

1. KU arrogance at home.
2. KU keeping us at arms length at Hilton (adding to their arrogance).
3. There's no freaking way we'll ever shoot the ball that poorly again.

We're a damn good team. If we play together and hit our shots we can steal one back. I think we're going to do just that.

Looks like you've been around the block so I have to ask, have you been to a game at Phog?

Do you have any idea what kind of advantage they have at home? (rhetorical). The arrogance is backed up with the W-L totals they have accumulated at home.

Like other posters on here I think its possible, but the odds are slim, maybe 5-10% chance of winning at Phog. I love the environment we have at Hilton, I think it is second to only one, and that's Phog Allen. That place is traditionally where good teams go down.

I watched KU play there on an "off" night, and it was like Hilton on a good (not great) night (hurts to say). Their home court advantage is at least 10 points.

Bill Self is 76-5 at home during conference play. Let that sink in.

After one game in that building, I walked away more impressed with our handful of wins there in the last two decades.

We need our A+ game to win there, its possible, but probably not likely.

EDIT: Even with all that said I will still be cheering like crazy for us to pull one off in that building. And my all time favorite quote, "It's just another Gym." -Jamaal Tinsley

Last edited:

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Why make any "predictions"? Its like some want to set themselves up to be disappointed. Having said that,...We 'can' win any game but nobody knows how the team will perform or what the outcomes will be as the Big12 is just too talented and has good coaches. We can still have high expectations and enjoy in game chatter without 'predictions'. If there's anything last night taught us is that we can't predict wins or losses. Nobody could imagine us shooting that poorly in Hilton, for example, regardless of who the opponent was. Not bashing anybody whatsoever, just makes me cringe when some say we 'should' or 'will' or 'better' finish 12-6 for example. Just hoping we let the team take a 'breath' and let them play their way through it. Now...just to be hypocritical, and to bash my own post, I 'predict' KU will win their 10th Big12 title this year.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Looks like you've been around the block so I have to ask, have you been to a game at Phog?

Do you have any idea what kind of advantage they have at home? (rhetorical). The arrogance is backed up with the W-L totals they have accumulated at home.

Like other posters on here I think its possible, but the odds are slim, maybe 5-10% chance of winning at Phog. I love the environment we have at Hilton, I think it is second to only one, and that's Phog Allen. That place is traditionally where good teams go down.

I watched KU play there on an "off" night, and it was like Hilton on a good (not great) night (hurts to say). Their home court advantage is at least 10 points.

Bill Self is 76-5 at home during conference play. Let that sink in.

After one game in that building, I walked away more impressed with our handful of wins there in the last two decades.

We need our A+ game to win there, its possible, but probably not likely.

EDIT: Even with all that said I will still be cheering like crazy for us to pull one off in that building. And my all time favorite quote, "It's just another Gym." -Jamaal Tinsley

Oh, heck yes. Back on 2000, it was amazing. But! Even with all the truth in your post above, I think KU will be prime to drop one. Yeah, I agree it will take our "A-game" to win, but I also think we're pretty sweet team with a creative coach that will get the guys up. We're going to steal one back. Upset is in the air.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
The key to the rest of the season is going to be how we play on the road. We probably won't lose again at home (maybe once, but doubtful). We're 1-1 on the road. Last season we were 3-6 on the road in conference. Lost @Texas, @KSU, @KU, @OKSU, @TTU, @OU. If we can improve our road record this year from 3-6 to 5-4 or perhaps 6-3, that'd put us 14-4 or 15-3 in conference. Last year 15-3 would have won the conference. 14-4 would have tied.

If we can finish 8-1 at home and 6-3 on the road, we'll be in really good shape by the end of the season. Have to start by getting the Texas game on Saturday

Help Support Us

Become a patron