Lack of a true Center

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
I know that ISU got the best of Baylor, and maybe that went to their heads somewhat, but in the last two games ISU's lack of size has been a problem. How many tip outs did Kansas have last night that lead to second chance points because ISU couldn't get past their bigs? Hopefully this is where McKay will help out next year.

There is also another big at McKay's former CC that is mobile and athletic.

Here is another to consider. Akolda Manyang
Indian Hills Community College Athletics - 2013-14 Men's Basketball Roster

I went to an Indian Hills game this past Saturday and was surprised by Manyang's athleticism and ability to rebound and score. He also has some meat on his bones compared to someone like Baylor's Austin. He can also move unlike Woodberry at Iowa.

He should be looked at.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Lack of a center helps us win games, and helps us lose games. If Niang and Ejim had shot better I don't think this would be a topic. Yeah they had a lot of offensive rebounds, but with 3 6'8+ guys, 1 true center probably isn't going to help that a lot.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
This game ultimately had nothing to do with us not having a big man. We know how to play against bigs - we simply didn't do it. It was an atrocious game. Shooting was awful and when you shoot 5 of 28 (or whatever the exact number is) from 3-point land it's going to be a tough tough night. If you're draining 3's it pulls their bigs out from under the basket. We weren't, so they didn't. Sadly, this is two games in a row now where we couldn't take the lid off of the basket. Ultimately not a "big" issue.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
We lose a lot of rebounding next year in Kane and Ejim (well, usually Ejim. Hasn't been rebounding much in conference play). Whether he starts or not, McKay will be one of the biggest minutes guys on the team, certainly among forwards.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
We aren't going to get a true back-to-the-basket big because that isn't how our offense is structured. We play outside in, not inside-out. We aren't going to run our offense through the post.

None of us know exactly what Fred wants but it looks to me that he wants to create match-up problems, draw the big man out from the hoop by having a big that can either shoot or drive. That eliminates a lot of potential bigs. The few ones that have those skills are in high demand by blue-blood programs.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I'd say lack of effort and passion did us in more than anything in the rebounding game. Size would have helped, but that wasn't the end all. Keep in mind our rebounding was okay last season with the same two starting posts.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
If we had a traditional center, I'm pretty sure Fred would make great use out of him. We don't have one because they are few and far between, not because they don't fit our "style". Hogue is a garbage man, how great would it be to have a 6-10 Hogue that protects the rim and keeps Spangler from beating us?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, sometimes I think we lose some rebounds due to not having a tree down there. Bless Georges' heart, but he seems to only get boards that come to him or that he is in great position for. He doesn't go after the boards by the rim.

I was very impressed by Wiggins popping the ball up/out to others for the board. I saw him do this in other games as well.

I think we just need to send Matt A. over to either Europe or other random countries and find an unpolished gem. You know, some 7ft soccer star that has never touched a bball.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
maybe improve our shooting percentage a 5% to a meager 36% and we win the game. I can't believe the way some of our fans have turned on Fred and the team. I think few people realize what a talent Embiid and Wiggins are. The internet is buzzing about Embiid this morning. A 7 foot stiff wouldn't have made any difference last night. Our defense was actually pretty decent, evident with the 24 turnovers and not alot of FT by ku. We also had 16 offensive rebounds which shows great effort, but when you miss that many shots including 21 threes, ku cleaned up on the defensive glass.

kansas is damned good, just as predicted at start of year, likely final four team. We are top 4 in a tough Big12 conference, also as predicted in the start of year

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I'd say lack of effort and passion did us in more than anything in the rebounding game. Size would have helped, but that wasn't the end all. Keep in mind our rebounding was okay last season with the same two starting posts.

There's much to this comment right here. I was absolutely screaming at the TV when our guys (Ejim over and over) were standing with a pained look on their face because a foul wasn't called only to have the KU players move to the basket for 2 immediate points. It was stupid. Get the **** up and play ball and quit whining about the ****ing no calls!

RoseBowlBound

Sep 13, 2011
Iowa City via WDM
I've noticed at least with Iowa, having a 7 footer (albeit an extremely ugly looking, mediocre to bad offensive one) helps a ton on defense. A big change in the Iowa @ OSU game was when Woodbury could come in and guard the baseline with authority in our zone defense. Just having that tall presence in times when you need is a nice card to have up your sleeve.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I've noticed at least with Iowa, having a 7 footer (albeit an extremely ugly looking, mediocre to bad offensive one) helps a ton on defense. A big change in the Iowa @ OSU game was when Woodbury could come in and guard the baseline with authority in our zone defense. Just having that tall presence in times when you need is a nice card to have up your sleeve.

Worked great against ISU... almost.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009

I'm guessing you weren't at the game, there was no lack of effort last night, the guys played their guts out, on the floor, fought hard. To cite a 'lack of effort and passion" couldn't be more off base. You don't get 16 offensive rebounds and force 24 turnovers by not hustling. Need to improve our shooting skills

Mumbai1986

Mar 9, 2008
Arlington, VA
Yeah, sometimes I think we lose some rebounds due to not having a tree down there. Bless Georges' heart, but he seems to only get boards that come to him or that he is in great position for. He doesn't go after the boards by the rim.

I was very impressed by Wiggins popping the ball up/out to others for the board. I saw him do this in other games as well.

I think we just need to send Matt A. over to either Europe or other random countries and find an unpolished gem. You know, some 7ft soccer star that has never touched a bball.

We need to take the private ISU jet to Cameroon and find another 16 year old 7 footer.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
maybe improve our shooting percentage a 5% to a meager 36% and we win the game. I can't believe the way some of our fans have turned on Fred and the team. I think few people realize what a talent Embiid and Wiggins are. The internet is buzzing about Embiid this morning. A 7 foot stiff wouldn't have made any difference last night. Our defense was actually pretty decent, evident with the 24 turnovers and not alot of FT by ku. We also had 16 offensive rebounds which shows great effort, but when you miss that many shots including 21 threes, ku cleaned up on the defensive glass.

kansas is damned good, just as predicted at start of year, likely final four team. We are top 4 in a tough Big12 conference, also as predicted in the start of year

Exactly...while we didn't do all we could to put ourselves in THE BEST position to win (like you said, a few more FTs and a couple treys and we are RIGHT in the game), can't forget they have AT LEAST two first round picks and a couple other NBA guys on their squad. Like they say, sometimes the "Jimmy's and the Joes" are needed more than the "x's and o's" (and I say that as I think CFH is a TOP NOTCH X/O guy that balances out the talent factor), but some nights even a great game plan just doesn't fly if the shots are not dropping.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA

didn't CFH in his first press conference after being hired say his brother was in Europe and he was supposed to find us some 7ft Serbians?