Lack of bench is killing us....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Our lack of depth and short turnaround from Saturday definitely showed in this game. We need to get Edozie and Gibson some mins, they owned us rebounding and underneath, great heart in this team, but when our shooting goes cold I foresee similar outcomes without a deeper bench. Rest up , big game Saturday......

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
Our bench needs to do something. Naz has never really came around since week 1. Thomas needs to find his shot. Monte should start. To many stand around threes, not in the flow of the offense.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Our bench needs to do something. Naz has never really came around since week 1. Thomas needs to find his shot. Monte should start. To many stand around threes, not in the flow of the offense.
Sorry I see it as more of a front court issue, Niang, Ejim and Hogue were just gassed in the second half, plus with all the double we kept throwing I am sure it affected all of them....

MyLifeAsADog

Oct 30, 2013
Our lack of depth and short turnaround from Saturday definitely showed in this game. We need to get Edozie and Gibson some mins, they owned us rebounding and underneath, great heart in this team, but when our shooting goes cold I foresee similar outcomes without a deeper bench. Rest up , big game Saturday......
Gibson or Edozie are not the answer. How bout one of your starters clamoring for "revenge" in the papers today doesn't shoot 4 for fu%$%$ 20. Niiiang hits a quarter of those shots and we win.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
A lot of teams only go 7 and 8 deep. The lack of depth isn't a big problem.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Sorry I see it as more of a front court issue, Niang, Ejim and Hogue were just gassed in the second half, plus with all the double we kept throwing I am sure it affected all of them....

That's a good point about the doubles - we really had to bust our butts covering that big front court. Dustin held his own; of course Ejim played ok, but the fouls caught up a nd he fouled out

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Wiggins: 38 minutes, Tharpe: 36 minutes, Selden: 33 minutes.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
We have major holes on this roster, that is a fact. We don't have a 2-guard that can score against teams with a pulse, and it's not like they play great D.

We have very little depth, and no height, so our mismatch strategy is totally screwed when we play a team that is long and athletic and our 3-balls aren't falling.

We really need one more really good post, and a consistent scoring 2-guard before we're going to take the next step as a program.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Did you watch the same game that I did?? They completely killed us on the boards and defensively at the end we just looked tired down low.....

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Depth really isn't a concern, but on night like this when the players are clearly gassed and they're taking all kinds of abuse from bigger, faster, more talented players on both ends of the court, they need a break. I really have to question Hoiberg not playing Gibson or Edozie tonight, even if not for 2-3 minutes apiece. Would have been greatly appreciated by Ejim/Hogue/Niang I am sure.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Indeed. They looked exasperated every time KU got one of their 200 offensive boards.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
And lots of teams are hurt by only being able to go 7 deep.

-There is a big difference between being 7 deep and 8 deep.
-The issue is that our 5-7 guys really should be 6-8 or 7-10 guys if we were going to have a chance to compete for the Big 12 title.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Gibson or Edozie are not the answer. How bout one of your starters clamoring for "revenge" in the papers today doesn't shoot 4 for fu%$%$ 20. Niiiang hits a quarter of those shots and we win.
Niang might have a shot if he was not stuck guarding EBIID....

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Did you watch the same game that I did?? They completely killed us on the boards and defensively at the end we just looked tired down low.....

The lack of a tall player was a bigger problem.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Niang only played 31 minutes, not a huge amount.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
But they are not running 15 miles over the course of a game to get in and out of double teams every time the ball goes below the FT line.
So we run our post players from the perimeter to double down inside?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Right now, the team lacks a 6th man. Naz Long hasn't totally disappeared, but nobody really expected him to average 27 ppg, either. He's a fine player, but not quite the 6th man we need. Ideally, he would probably either a) start in place of Thomas or b) be our 2nd or 3rd option off the bench. No sparkplug Tyrus McThree this year. Monte has probably been the closest thing to our 6th man, but I see backup PG and 6th man as 2 different things. Plus he isn't the instant offense that McGee was a year ago. I loved the 14-0 start, but reality is hitting quickly and I think it remains to be seen whether or not this years team is truly better than the one we had a year ago. I still think it is, but they need to figure some things out quickly.

Help Support Us

Become a patron