Kane's OU Performance - Pride Injury to Ankle Injury Ratio

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
First of all i think Kane's box scored was good, but there's a lot that doesn't show up in the box as we all know. I can't remember a lot specific scenarios but i remember thinking that some of Kane's decisions were sub-par, and his play was part of the reason we didn't win, despite scoring 21 points. One example is when he dribbled out the shotclock down to like 5 seconds and then passed it to Morris or Ejim i think. The offense had the floor spread so Kane was isolated, but he didn't drive, just passed it to someone else with 5 seconds which forced a very contested 3 pt shot. Somebody with DVR powers can check this out if you feel inspired.

please note i am thrilled to have Kane and not trying to rag on him or be negative. Just wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts. Thought maybe the spotlight from Baylor might have got to him and so his point guard mindset was off or something. . . i dunno.

And then when he got injured and hung his head with a towel on the bench it seemed like he was being a big baby- had me thinking about the actual injury to pride injury ratio- 1 to 2 i'd say. So i was thinking, come on Kane, pick your head up. I was a bit skeptical when he had to get carried off the court. But now its looking like maybe i was wrong- and hopefully i was wrong. But my thought at the time was that we are going to see him start for KU tonight and he just twisted his ankle a bit (so nevermind- hopefully i was right.)

I imagine i am going to get so much flack for this from some of the more high-strung CFers but still i am wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts. Most people seemed to take it at face value and it sounds like it was a legit low ankle sprain.

And finally, it occurs to me that there should be a term for when a player is being a baby on the bench and covers his head with a towel. Swaddle Heading is my best shot (you know, as in swaddling a baby). For instance, if a player actually sustains an injury or loses a championship game then their manhood is not suspect when they cry under a towel on the bench. But if they are just being a baby then that's a different animal- hence a special term.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
tldr.gif

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
First of all i think Kane's box scored was good, but there's a lot that doesn't show up in the box as we all know. I can't remember a lot specific scenarios but i remember thinking that some of Kane's decisions were sub-par, and his play was part of the reason we didn't win, despite scoring 21 points. One example is when he dribbled out the shotclock down to like 5 seconds and then passed it to Morris or Ejim i think. The offense had the floor spread so Kane was isolated, but he didn't drive, just passed it to someone else with 5 seconds which forced a very contested 3 pt shot. Somebody with DVR powers can check this out if you feel inspired.

please note i am thrilled to have Kane and not trying to rag on him or be negative. Just wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts. Thought maybe the spotlight from Baylor might have got to him and so his point guard mindset was off or something. . . i dunno.

And then when he got injured and hung his head with a towel on the bench it seemed like he was being a big baby- had me thinking about the actual injury to pride injury ratio- 1 to 2 i'd say. So i was thinking, come on Kane, pick your head up. I was a bit skeptical when he had to get carried off the court. But now its looking like maybe i was wrong- and hopefully i was wrong. But my thought at the time was that we are going to see him start for KU tonight and he just twisted his ankle a bit (so nevermind- hopefully i was right.)

I imagine i am going to get so much flack for this from some of the more high-strung CFers but still i am wondering if anyone else had similar thoughts. Most people seemed to take it at face value and it sounds like it was a legit low ankle sprain.

And finally, it occurs to me that there should be a term for when a player is being a baby on the bench and covers his head with a towel. Swaddle Heading is my best shot (you know, as in swaddling a baby). For instance, if a player actually sustains an injury or loses a championship game then their manhood is not suspect when they cry under a towel on the bench. But if they are just being a baby then that's a different animal- hence a special term.

Pretty terrible post. About the only thing I somewhat agree with is the possession where he stood in the backcourt and dribbled. We don't know if that was him, or the gameplan, though.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I think he tried to do too much due to all of the hype he was receiving last week. I think he really did tweak his ankle, but his reaction was probably due more to frustration and fear (fear of serious injury). I also think he didn't really want to shake hands after the game. :spinny:

He's a tough dude, and a great player. Not surprised he's playing tonight. I bet he plays a great game and helps ISU win.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Oh lord. I don't know if we want to say that the guy that carried this team against Baylor and was just about dead out there at the end is a baby in regards to his injury.

He hurt his ankle. I'm guessing it hurt. I'm also guessing that the trainers didn't want him putting weight on it until they knew what was going on.

As far as DeAndre and trying to do too much out there, I think most players fall into that trap at some points. Maybe he did on Saturday, but he was still pretty important.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
When CF trolled HN, there were multiple threads that were upset with Jon Millers ability to run the site. It was epic. CF trolls HN, and HN turns against each other. Quite the sight.

When HN tries to troll CF, just makes the Hawkeye fan base look stupid.

Now, I'm not fully convinced you're a troll. You do have some posts regarding ISU. But when discussing our quarterbacks, you really seemed to have no clue what you were talking about, and like mafia, you kept saying "our" trying to make it obvious your an Iowa State fan. Also, you were pretty adamant that Iowa outplayed us in basketball. And you're posts show no real knowledge of anything Iowa State.

EDIT: Nevermind. Did some googling. He's a Cyclone.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think I'm actually seeing your point here. It totally makes sense tha Kane would intentionally roll his ankle 2 days before a huge game just to get attention drawn to him and overexaggerate his pain all to set up his triumphant return tonight. Makes total sense.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I think I'm actually seeing your point here. It totally makes sense tha Kane would intentionally roll his ankle 2 days before a huge game just to get attention drawn to him and overexaggerate his pain all to set up his triumphant return tonight. Makes total sense.

I wonder if he'll pull the old "bloody sock", like Curt Schilling...

Last edited:

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

If you think about it, this makes perfect sense. KU is not a top 10 team, so we won't have that hype for the game. Kane's just trying to help out ESPN get more viewers - will he play or won't he?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
If you think about it, this makes perfect sense. KU is not a top 10 team, so we won't have that hype for the game. Kane's just trying to help out ESPN get more viewers - will he play or won't he?

SO MUCH DRAMA!!

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I heard Kane accidentally wore a Hawkeye sock and that's why his ankle rolled up right at the end of the game. It's probably why he missed some free throws too. In fact I bet that sock almost made him rob the visitors locker room. True story

CycloneJoe

Jan 12, 2009
Carson City
They never elevated his ankle.

The trainers just left him on the bench

I am guessing he is a little known for this at practice.

Even Fred seemed a little lax with his comments.

Kane better step up tonight!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
They never elevated his ankle.

The trainers just left him on the bench

I am guessing he is a little known for this at practice.

Even Fred seemed a little lax with his comments.

Kane better step up tonight!

I noticed this too. Also, wasn't there reports that he was at the women's game that night? I would think the training staff would have wanted him at home icing and elevating.

This, of course, is not to say he was being a "baby" but rather optimism that his ankle may be able to perform better than some may have initially thought.

Help Support Us

Become a patron