Quotes on Offensive Line

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I finally got a chance to listen to last weeks' CF radio show. I was reminded, again, just what a football mind the likes of Jeff Woody and Ben Bruns have. Well, then there is also Woody's access as a recently former player.

What really caught my attention was Jeff's comment on the difference between Bill Bleil's style as OL coach, and Klenakis'. To paraphrase (as I understaood it), in Bleil's system, players were assigned to go to a specific place, and block whoever they found there--and in Klenakis' system, it was just the opposite(someone can feel free to transcribe the quote). Which, according to JW, was the reason (or, a big part of the reason) there was such a long transition period, before they finally started looking better late in the season.

Interesting. I hadn't heard before that the two coaches' philosophies were so different.

Which, of course, brings us to CW's(?) quote of Bruns, who apparently said that whatever else with a new OC, the choice of an OL coach, and the adjustment of the OL would still be the biggest key for next season.

I'm sure I'm mangling the quotes, but I think I was close on the intent. And I still found both statements intriguing.

Reactions: Rick

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Also players appeared to dislike Coack Klen. And it is perceived his style created many of the injuries we had last year. It's quite interesting so many current players commented via Twitter in a positive way that Coach K left.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
K worked them too hard apparently

Sounds like hard work was not the problem. Sounds like it was working them stupidly. And with the info coming out now, it makes sense that our OL sucked so badly in the early season.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sounds like hard work was not the problem. Sounds like it was working them stupidly. And with the info coming out now, it makes sense that our OL sucked so badly in the early season.

Yeah, sounds like they were worked to the brink, with no time to recover. Even back when I played, one drink for 10 seconds per practice etc. The one thing we were still taught was that you need to give your body a chance to recover or it would lead to injury. Sounds like coach k never had that idea.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Klenakis and Bleil are opposites coaching. Bleil is a laid back guy, Klenakis is yelling and in the face. That in itself isn't a reason to really not like Coach K, but I'm sure it played a part.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Yeah, sounds like they were worked to the brink, with no time to recover. Even back when I played, one drink for 10 seconds per practice etc. The one thing we were still taught was that you need to give your body a chance to recover or it would lead to injury. Sounds like coach k never had that idea.

Coach K started in the high school ranks, IIRC. With my experience, hard core guys from that level tend to be the ones who don't understand the body needs time to recover. Some of them are still good coaches, and some of them are just awful. Can't believe Coach K was never told by a head coach or team doctor along the lines that he should back off a bit.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yet, two head coaches who have had tremendous results - Chris Ault and Bobby Petrino, have seen fit to include this "stupid" coach on their staffs, entrusting them with their offensive line. I'm confused...

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Yet, two head coaches who have had tremendous results - Chris Ault and Bobby Petrino, have seen fit to include this "stupid" coach on their staffs, entrusting them with their offensive line. I'm confused...

Unfortunately, just because a coach has good results doesn't mean he's not doing something stupid.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Unfortunately, just because a coach has good results doesn't mean he's not doing something stupid.

"How you doing?"

040412-FOX-Flash-10AM-JW-PI_20120404122053677_660_320.JPG

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
And just because some players don't like a coach, and say he worked them too hard, doesn't mean they're right...

That's possible, but it sounds like a lot of our guys were happy he left. Whether it was the amount of work, something else, or a combination of things I have to believe their displeasure with him was legitimate.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
And just because some players don't like a coach, and say he worked them too hard, doesn't mean they're right...

There were guys not on the Oline commenting about it. My guess is that Shane Burnham, Troy Douglas and Wally aren't letting the guys frolic about the field as they please. I highly doubt Rhoads is against hard work. There was something different going on there. This isn't one kid leaving or one kid being mad. It's pretty much every one of them.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009

Yah its kind of laughable, we slam one coach for treatment of players and laude another one who was fired because of the way he handled players. Its Rhoads job to step in if K was asking too much of his guys

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
From my experience, inconsistency is the red flag in these discussions. If an employee or subordinate knows what will happen when they do well or do poorly, they can deal with it. If they aren't rewarded or disciplined consistently, they don't see a cause and effect for their efforts and look elsewhere for structure. This reaction is not their fault, it is their coping mechanism and is to be expected.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Knowing nothing of the situation, he did come across as sort of a rah rah guy, plus just sort of odd in the interviews. Rest of the staff comes across differently.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
If the O linemen are celebrating that Coach K is gone they better enjoy it while they can. Mangino is a taskmaster and will work their butts off. Now for those of you with the gigantic woody because of Mark's hiring, relax. Mark was not successful at KU his first few years. Until he had his recruits coming up the pipeline, their offense sucked. The man is not a miracle worker. His last team at KU was not exactly exciting also. The O line did not have enough talent to keep people off his QB. Good coaching is rarely a bandaid for poor recruiting. Sorry about the dose of reality.