Friday OT - Books You Reread

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A friend and I were chatting earlier this week about books. Her husband doesn't ever like to reread books once he's read them once, yet she and I often do if we're fuzzy on details. I have two or three books that I reread once a year or so.

What are your books you either have reread or would reread? Just once, or many times?

I've probably read Pride and Prejudice and Catcher in the Rye about 15 times each. Slaughterhouse Five and some other Vonnegut stuff has probably gotten three or four reads each.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I've re-read Slaughterhouse Five a bunch of times as well.

I used to read a Tolkien grand slam every year--The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I don't think it's possible to not reread Tolkien. So much detail that you find something new every time. I also reread Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and Codex Alera series. I've probably read the Alera series 10 times and I reread the entire Dresden Files series whenever a new book is released.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Excellent topic! My list of books I've read through more than once:

The Lord of the Rings/Hobbit (at least 8 times)

Watership Down, Richard Adams(5 times)

It by Stephen King (4 times)

Animal Farm, Orwell (4 times)

1984, Orwell (twice)

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Shirer (on my second go right now)

The Second World War, Churchill (twice)

The Chronicles of Narnia, Lewis (3 or 4)

I'm sure there are others

Reactions: Mr Janny

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
I will reread "Once a Runner" by John L. Parker at least twice a year. Still gets my heart pumping and excited each time I read it.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
A friend and I were chatting earlier this week about books. Her husband doesn't ever like to reread books once he's read them once, yet she and I often do if we're fuzzy on details. I have two or three books that I reread once a year or so.

What are your books you either have reread or would reread? Just once, or many times?

I've probably read Pride and Prejudice and Catcher in the Rye about 15 times each. Slaughterhouse Five and some other Vonnegut stuff has probably gotten three or four reads each.

This is me all the way.

Although, I have reread A Brief History of Nearly Everything. Nice portion of the book is about the Manson, IA crater and whether or not they thought it was the smoking gun for the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Conversely, one of my favorite contemporary authors is Chuck Palahniuk (wrote Fight Club, Choke, etc.). I don't ever reread his stuff, though, because I already know the twist ending.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I can't bring myself to do it. I think I'll have to reread Justin Cronin's The Passage and The Twelve before his last book comes out this year.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
1984 - George Orwell
Lamb - Christopher Moore
I Know This Much is True - Wally Lamb
Beach Music - Pat Conroy
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
In addition to a few already mentioned, I reread The Name of the Wind prior to reading the sequel and when the third comes out I'm sure I will read all three.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
In addition to a few already mentioned, I reread The Name of the Wind prior to reading the sequel and when the third comes out I'm sure I will read all three.

I did the same! How could I forget The Name of the Wind? Thanks for the reminder!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
1984 - George Orwell
Lamb - Christopher Moore
I Know This Much is True - Wally Lamb
Beach Music - Pat Conroy
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Can't believe I forgot TKAM.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Read the Hobbit again a few weeks back. Made me dislike the latest movie even more. (And I don't tend to be a purist when it comes to making books into movies.)

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
LOTR, The Hobbit, Where the Red Fern Grows, Band of Brothers, and there are more that I cannot remember off the top of my head.

I am currently rereading the Lord of the Rings.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I read books so slow that I just can't afford the time to reread them usually. I have made that exception for a few Vonnegut books and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I probably should read Catcher in the Rye again.

I would like to reread the Game of Thrones books, but I would rather spend that year reading other stuff. I'm currently getting into HP Lovecraft.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
I have a tendency to re-read things quite a bit, as I'm a fairly fast reader, and I like to revisit stories. I read Gone With the Wind when I was 11, and despite knowing all the problems and privilege issues with the book, have re-read it at least 5-6 times. I've also read through Harry Potter multiple times, along with Jean Auel's stuff (though the later books were really disappointing.)

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Y'all ever read Chuck Yeager's book? I'm not a big reader but I read that one twice.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron