Doc Sadler

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Seriously how big of a hire was this guy? I know it is probably a mix of the players styles and his philosophies, but our defense has looked so much better this year than years past. I love seeing out players get hands in the faces of shooters, the good help D, and the active hands. I hope we can keep this guy on our staff for a couple more years!

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
No doubt a great fire. He has always coached toughness. NU didn't have the best athletes, but they were always a headache to play.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I completely agree that this part is getting overlooked. Our problem last year was our inability to get key stops. We had Babb to lock down their best player, but it just seemed like in the games we lost we couldn't string together stpos. This team is so much better defensively. Last nights defensive gameplan worked to a "t", with hard doubles on the post and great rotations to stop the drive and make them shoot 3s. The best part about this team is when we have our offensive lulls (which seem to happen early in each game) our defense can pick it up and keep us in it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If we keep our season up the way its going, we'll be looking for a new assistant....that is a good problem.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I completely agree that this part is getting overlooked. Our problem last year was our inability to get key stops. We had Babb to lock down their best player, but it just seemed like in the games we lost we couldn't string together stpos. This team is so much better defensively. Last nights defensive gameplan worked to a "t", with hard doubles on the post and great rotations to stop the drive and make them shoot 3s. The best part about this team is when we have our offensive lulls (which seem to happen early in each game) our defense can pick it up and keep us in it.

Yes I loved the game plan last night. Once the initial guy doubled down, a secondary defender immediately switched defenders to take over when the double came from so that the post man did not know who was open based on who doubled down on him. Absolutely genius!

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Yes I loved the game plan last night. Once the initial guy doubled down, a secondary defender immediately switched defenders to take over when the double came from so that the post man did not know who was open based on who doubled down on him. Absolutely genius!

I'm pretty sure that Coach Mann (8-mile Corn!!) is responsible for the defensive game plans. Gotta believe Doc is affecting the D as well.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I'm pretty sure that Coach Mann (8-mile Corn!!) is responsible for the defensive game plans. Gotta believe Doc is affecting the D as well.

Yep. They are working off each other for sure. No doubt it was a home run hire though and really overlooked.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Pretty much goes for all our staff the way this year is going

[video=youtube;1jUBbCgMWmE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE[/video]

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

This is correct. It also helps our new players are much better defenders than the ones they replaced

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I thought that Fred was the real ramrod of this outfit. My understanding was the assistant coaches were just helping out so they could get a good seat to watch the games in Hilton. Ever since Fred got here its been too tough to get a good seat in Hilton.:psmile:

Last edited:

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
No question Coach Doc Sadler has made a big impact with this team! The defensive tenacity shows.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
This is correct. It also helps our new players are much better defenders than the ones they replaced

yep, people are giving Sadler way too much credit, kind of like how people fawned over Bobby Lutz as if Fred didn't know anything. We run the same concepts except we have better defensive players this year

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
yep, people are giving Sadler way too much credit, kind of like how people fawned over Bobby Lutz as if Fred didn't know anything. We run the same concepts except we have better defensive players this year

I still believe that Bobby needed Fred a lot more than Fred needed Bobby.
Hiring the experienced guy offered PR credibility, but Fred's always been Fred.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
At first last night, I was frustrated by the open 3s Baylor was getting (and making), but now I wonder if it was a clever tactic to force their offense to think small and outside (rather than big and inside). Regardless, that was the result.