Johnny Orr to be buried in the Iowa State University cemetary

majorcyfan

Feb 18, 2007
In the Spring, I was told by the Adams funeral home representative today at the visitation.

SO JOHNNY WILL BE WITH ISU FOREVER MORE ONLY FITTING

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Wow, that is awesome. Anyone know who the last person to be buried in the campus cemetery?

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Wow, that is awesome. Anyone know who the last person to be buried in the campus cemetery?

I believe burials are ongoing. As per the ISU cemetery website -

"Memorial Day services, originally conducted by ROTC personnel, have, since 1995 been conducted under the auspices of the Memorial Day Subcommittee of the ISU Retirees Committee. A service is held in the auditorium of the nearby Molecular Biology Building, followed by the placing of flowers on the graves of those who have died since the last service. Flowers have traditionally been provided by the Horticulture Department."

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

Not sure, but it's not incredibly rare. There were a couple funerals there when I was in the marching band. There are some fairly strict rules on who can be in such as being tenured or the like, but it isn't a once a decade kind of a thing.

I was wondering if Johnny would be. It's very fitting. He belongs alongside names like Hilton and Parks

Noteworthy Deceased

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Northwest of the Armory. It's On the North Side of Pommel. Straight West from Moli Bio, or the old TV studios.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The link in the post above has a campus map, a cemetery map, a search tool, and an alphabetical list of those buried there.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I had classes just south of there (guess where) there and used to ride my motorcycle by there. I love Johnny.

neiacy

Apr 11, 2006
Does anybody know where Coach Orr was living at the time of his death? Was he living in Ames? Just curious?

Help Support Us

Become a patron